Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wouldn't be surprised if Redskins start cutting people soon.....who's going? (EDIT: CP + Dock + ANDRE CARTER gone, who's next?)

SMOSS89

Dockery- 2011: $3.815 million

Hicks-2011: $1.15 million

Rabach-2011: $3 million

Mike Williams-2011: $840,000

How much of that is due in bonus form before FA and/or draft? It seems to me the primary reason for cutting a guy out of hand before you actually sign his or get the negotiation rights to his replacement is that he is due cash. The only other reason I can think of is to give him time to hook up with another team. I don't think there's much intelligence he can gather between now and March even if you do have a plan to replace him.

As much as it pains me to say this, it doesn't seem like Portis will be back unless he is willing to restructure/take a pay cut.

Until we get his replacement on the roster or at least have the exclusive negotiating rights (ie, draft pick), CP will not be cut unless by being on the roster as of a certain date, he's owed cash. This thread is not about who will be on the roster in July or even April but by the beginning of March.

Portis is the only guy who I could see getting cut now, and even then I think the team would look to see if he'd want to come back at a lower price, so I wouldn't see it until a CBA gets done.

They certainly don't need to worry about cutting for cap room yet, since they did a lot of cleaning house last season.

Portis is the only guy who I could see getting cut now, and even then I think the team would look to see if he'd want to come back at a lower price, so I wouldn't see it until a CBA gets done.

They certainly don't need to worry about cutting for cap room yet, since they did a lot of cleaning house last season.

I would hope Portis realizes that he doesn't have many options and should take a pay cut.

I would hope Portis realizes that he doesn't have many options and should take a pay cut.

Portis will be on the market and will look at his options, as any FA should. He still has a lot of value to many teams, but I suspect they will let him sit out there for a few weeks, if he decides not to come back. (Or, if Shanahan decides not to bring him back.)

They won't cut anyone right now. They aren't required to cut anyone unless they have a bonus coming up soon. Shanny rarely plays anything like that. Usually when a team cuts a player before free agency, it's either a bonus coming due or they really want the guy to have a chance to catch on somewhere else and give him a head start. Shanny is pure business and if it doesn't benefit him, then he won't release anyone. I could even see him keeping McNabb on the roster until right before the first game because that is when his bonus comes due.

It's not personal, it's just business.

Moore will not get cut.. he is really cheap and will be kept around for depth. He actually played well pre-injury. Also i hope Portis agrees to restructure.. i think with a full training camp and pre-season he can still be very effective on this team.

Without a CBA, meaning there is danger that all the players available in FA are RFA, wouldn't cutting our players without having replacements already lined up be a little risky? As an RFA, any team who currently owns the rights to the player has the right to match, whcih meas we over bid or they simply match our offer and keep the player. Wouldn't it be be better to wait until after the CBA is done?

RFA's almost never leave their teams because of the potential high cost.

Gone:

Portis (unless he takes a major pay cut)

Rabach (same as Portis)

Dockery

Haynesworth

Kemoeatu

Carter

McIntosh

Rogers

McNabb will be traded if we can get good value. Also, if Jammal Brown's contract is up (I can't remember if it is or not), I'm not sure if he'll be back.

Without a CBA, meaning there is danger that all the players available in FA are RFA, wouldn't cutting our players without having replacements already lined up be a little risky? As an RFA, any team who currently owns the rights to the player has the right to match, whcih meas we over bid or they simply match our offer and keep the player. Wouldn't it be be better to wait until after the CBA is done?

RFA's almost never leave their teams because of the potential high cost.

Even with a CBA, you DO NOT cut guys until you've got their replacements committed to you unless you are going to owe them new money if you keep them on your roster or are being nice and letting them try to hook up with another team ASAP.

Moore will not get cut.. he is really cheap and will be kept around for depth.

All I will ever remember Moore for is making that pick at the end of the first half in the Saints game two years ago and getting stripped by that WR for a TD. Cut him just for that.

I exaggerate. Safety depth is key like you said. But he is nothing special to me at all. Better than Doughty though that's for sure. Cut that chump. Can't cover a statue.

Gone:

Portis (unless he takes a major pay cut)

Rabach (same as Portis)

Dockery

Haynesworth

Kemoeatu

Carter

McIntosh

Rogers

McNabb will be traded if we can get good value. Also, if Jammal Brown's contract is up (I can't remember if it is or not), I'm not sure if he'll be back.

Don't have a problem with that list at all....Here are some additionals: P. Daniels, HB Blades, M. Williams (heart issues).

Don't have a problem with that list at all....Here are some additionals: P. Daniels, HB Blades, M. Williams (heart issues).

Agreed, except for Daniels. He still plays well in a back up roll. He is a team leader and a great guy to have. I hope he becomes part of our training staff when he does retire.

I think Doughty and Horton are both FAs as well.

Agreed, except for Daniels. He still plays well in a back up roll. He is a team leader and a great guy to have. I hope he becomes part of our training staff when he does retire.

I think Doughty and Horton are both FAs as well.

Doughty I would agree with, but Horton still has some value IMO. He has shown flashes, and would be a decent backup SS IMO. He had as many INTs in his rookie season as Landry does in his career...

Archived