Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Firefighter refused call to Tucson shooting *update in post 22*

adam@section118

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/17/AR2011021705854.html

TUCSON, Ariz. -- A veteran firefighter refused to respond to last month's deadly shooting spree that left Rep. Gabrielle Giffords wounded because he had different political views than his colleagues and "did not want to be part of it," according to internal city memos.

Mark Ekstrum's insubordination may have delayed his unit's response because firefighters had to stop at another station to pick up a replacement for him, the Arizona Daily Star reported.

While the crew was not among the first called to the supermarket where six people were killed and 13 others wounded, a memo from Ekstrum's supervisor said his actions caused "confusion and delay" during the emergency.

Ekstrum's team, which is specially trained to handle large medical emergencies, was dispatched to assist 90 minutes after the Jan. 8 shooting.

The 28-year veteran of the Tucson Fire Department retired two days later while his supervisors were still considering how to discipline him, according to the Star, which obtained the memos about the incident through a public records request.

***I did find a more current article (discussing his politics), and posted it in post 22****

He should be fired immediately, at the very least.

Yay. I love hyperpartisanship.

Thank you "news media" for creating this climate.

~Bang

I had a long conversation with a guy yesterday, and the subject matter was if we would be better off with a 24 hour news cycle.

I know at times it is great to be informed without having to read a paper or a magazine, but in general, my answer is yes.

Also, I agree with you. There should have been no "deciding for 2 days". It should have been immidiate termination, if not suspension without pay till we decide when we want to fire your ass

I hate to stereotype an entire state, but wtf with Arizona?

That would be an unfortunate stereotype considering all the other emergency personnel that did show up like they were supposed to. I think a better question would be wtf is up with political fanatics and their inability to realize that we are all countrymen/women.

I had a long conversation with a guy yesterday, and the subject matter was if we would be better off with a 24 hour news cycle.

I know at times it is great to be informed without having to read a paper or a magazine, but in general, my answer is yes.

Also, I agree with you. There should have been no "deciding for 2 days". It should have been immidiate termination, if not suspension without pay till we decide when we want to fire your ass

I like a 24 hour news cycle. (I'd rather they confirm stories before running off half ****ed, but overall I think it's a great idea.)

What i don't like are the ones who pretend to be news and are nothing but a propaganda arm for political parties.

This causes this sort of thing. Propaganda is bad, and here's a prime example. This guy decided his politics were more important than the life of a small girl, and several other people.

Now, I have no idea where this jackass gets his news, but if I had to bet, I know where I'd lay my money.

PS, it says he "retired".

F that. Fire his ass, no benefits, no pension. Drum his ass out with as much dishonor as can be legally heaped upon him.

~Bang

I like a 24 hour news cycle. (I'd rather they confirm stories before running off half ****ed, but overall I think it's a great idea.)

What i don't like are the ones who pretend to be news and are nothing but a propaganda arm for political parties.

This causes this sort of thing. Propaganda is bad, and here's a prime example. This guy decided his politics were more important than the life of a small girl, and several other people.

Now, I have no idea where this jackass gets his news, but if I had to bet, I know where I'd lay my money.

PS, it says he "retired".

F that. Fire his ass, no benefits, no pension.

~Bang

I agree, but the problem is now all media (doesn’t matter if it is Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, etc) are in such a rush to “break” a story, it makes me wonder if they even care if they are wrong one time because they “may” be right the others.

That is a problem, and a huge one at that.

I feel strongly about certain issues, even going against what many people in my field think, but even in my entry level field it is expected that I perform to the best of my abilities. Political affiliation should never come into question, especially when you are trained and I assume took an oath to help anyone and everyone.

Like I said, I agree about him getting fired. Wonder if they can go back and fire him, or if he is safe because he “retired”.

I agree, but the problem is now all media (doesn’t matter if it is Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, etc) are in such a rush to “break” a story, it makes me wonder if they even care if they are wrong one time because they “may” be right the others.

Maybe not "ALL" media. PBS News Hour seems pretty reasonable.

Odd story. Sounds like he got into a political argument with his team and got mad about what was said. Strange reason not to do your job but who knows what was said.

When lives are on the line, it absolutely does not matter. At all.

I spent five years in law enforcement. You go when you're called, or you go ****ing do something else.

(Sorry, my hostility is not at all directed at you. **** like this just pisses me off.)

When lives are on the line, it absolutely does not matter. At all.

I spent five years in law enforcement. You go when you're called, or you go ****ing do something else.

(Sorry, my hostility is not at all directed at you. **** like this just pisses me off.)

Completely agree with you... however I think forming an opinion without knowing what actually went down is difficult. Some things will push people over the edge and induce an unstable emotional state. Without knowing exactly what went down it's difficult to say if it was reasonable or not.

If they were arguing about tax law I agree with you. If on the other hand his entire crew called him and his significant other baby killers that will rot in hell for what they've done... I could see that infuriate and compromise someone emotionally. I have no idea the extent of any insult or if there even was an insult.

Though I will say 99.99% of what could be said wouldn't justify his actions. There is that small thing though that in the real would could push any of us over the edge.

Watch, this guy will be the keynote speaker at the next Tea Party convention.

I have no idea if he is conservative, liberal, leftist, libertarian or what. Do you?

What he did is horrible whatever his political stripe, but really, it has nothing to do with his politics and everything to do with him being a petulant little **** toward his co-workers.

I have no idea if he is conservative, liberal, leftist, libertarian or what. Do you?

What he did is horrible whatever his political stripe, but really, it has nothing to do with his politics and everything to do with him being a petulant little **** toward his co-workers.

Valid point. After all, a half hour after the shooting everybody (myself included) figured that it was obviously the fork or a lunatic conservative extremist.

Still, I have to also say that if we were putting money on it, we all know which way most of the money would be betting. Doesn't make it a fact, though.

That is a problem, and a huge one at that.

I feel strongly about certain issues, even going against what many people in my field think, but even in my entry level field it is expected that I perform to the best of my abilities. Political affiliation should never come into question, especially when you are trained and I assume took an oath to help anyone and everyone.

Like I said, I agree about him getting fired. Wonder if they can go back and fire him, or if he is safe because he “retired”.

It's not the rush to get the story that bugs me.

Most of the time the news arms of these organizations get breaking news right.. or at least they do their best while it's breaking. One of the best things about the 24 hr news cycle is that they can report it as it's happening, and update as info becomes available. As long as people recognize the fluidity of breaking news, I think all of the major networks do a fine job.

I'll be honest, I hate Fox for it's lies and manipulations, but when stuff is happening right NOW, I turn them on. They're very good on breaking news, especially if Shep Smith is at the desk.

It's the rest of the stuff that these agencies do that creates the hyper partisanship that could lead to something like this. The manipulations, the editorial dept., and the nightly talking heads who comment on news rather than report it. They cause much of this over-the-top partisan paranoia that could lead to this sort of thing, IMO.

In my mind, Honorary_Hog said it best up there.

I've never heard of anything like this in my life, and i hope I never do again, and I expect I likely won't.. I think this is a VERY isolated incident by a guy who went squirrelly... I think the overwhelming majority of emergency workers think like HH does. (like 99.98%)

But, I've said it before, and I say again. I think the propaganda in this country is VERY bad. And I believe it is the single greatest threat this country faces. We've allowed and accepted yellow journalism and partisan propaganda to manipulate us as a people. And we see evidence of it's poison more and more frequently.

~Bang

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/opinions/view/opinion/Firefighter-Who-Refused-Giffords-Call-Says-Hes-Misunderstood-7040/

"There are times in life when you make responsible decisions and you just kind of have to live with being misunderstood," said Mark Ekstrum, the Tuscon firefighter who achieved Internet infamy today after the Arizona Daily Star reported that Ekstrum refused to go to the scene of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords's shooting because of "political bantering" in the firehouse. Soon, of course, the story became about how a firefighter was a partisan monster who wouldn't help a Democrat. Headlines included "Fireman refused to attend Giffords shooting spree because of 'her political views'" and "Tucson firefighter went home rather than respond to shooting scene."

The original report in the Daily Star suggests a more nuanced, and confusing, tale. And so we called Ekstrum, who has since retired from the fire department, at his Tucson home for clarification. He wasn't much help. We asked Ekstrum to describe his political beliefs and he declined. "Every person that reads the internet, every citizen... they may misunderstand, they may feel strongly about it, may want to know more facts. There's nothing that I can do about all that," he said.

In a statement to the Arizona Star, he said he voted for Giffords and that when he met her, he considered her "a person that was willing to listen." Ekstrum hasn't donated to any national or state political campaigns, according to a search of campaign finance databases. He's currently registered to vote as an independent; in the 1980s and 1990s he was registered as a Democrat.

When the crew came back from the call, Ekstrum was waiting, and apologized. Ekstrum sent a statement to the department saying he'd been "distracted to the point of not being able to perform my routine station duties to such an extent that I seriously doubted my ability to focus on an emergency call. ... [M]y communication centered more on how this event would affect the country and them and us, and, of course, led to their misunderstanding about my need to go home because I was at a point of distraction." The next day, according to the report, Ekstrum realized he made a mistake and retired

He resigned with apologies..

Well, that's a good step.

I'm not sure what to think about what to do with him.

I think they should check and see if he's ever done anything that could be similar in the past... if he's been spotless til now, I'd hate to see an entire career and life's work go down in flames.. but man it is gallling what he did.

Is an apology acceptable?

~Bang

Archived