Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BI: Detroit Will PAY You To Take One Of These 100 Abandoned Homes

China

Detroit Will PAY You To Take One Of These 100 Abandoned Homes

Mayor Dave Bing is trying to save Detroit by offering incentives to lure residents back to abandoned neighborhoods.

One program offers $150,000 in housing renovation money and requiring only $1,000 down to police officers who are willing to relocate to the city. Another offers college graduates $2,500 to rent and $20,000 forgivable loan to buy properties.

Potential home buyers can choose from plenty of cheap or free homes, especially in the blighted neighborhoods of Woodward Ave. and Brush Park.

Click here to see photos

The mayor is failing. His job should be to bring new business to the area. Then the houses get filled. He's barking up the wrong tree.

Dave Bing has been doing his best in an all but impossible situaition. I give him credit for some of the tough decisions he's had to make. One of his initiatives has been to physically shrink the city by demolishing some of the untold numbers of abandoned houses - literally letting nature take over some of the neighborhoods - so that city services don't have to be spread so thin.

jesus christ...just checking out Trulia - they want 139k for this gorgeous house in Detroit with 5 bedrooms and 4200 sq feet on a golf course!

Detroit should start marketing itself as a place to retire. That way nobody going there has to worry about a job, plus they can take the money they have in equity in their current home and move up to a larger and cheaper home.

Dave Bing has been doing his best in an all but impossible situaition. I give him credit for some of the tough decisions he's had to make. One of his initiatives has been to physically shrink the city by demolishing some of the untold numbers of abandoned houses - literally letting nature take over some of the neighborhoods - so that city services don't have to be spread so thin.

Pittsburgh went through the same thing with the steel industry. They picked another industry (healthcare billing/insurance I believe) and are starting to revitalize. I think Detroit did not forsee the city would be hit this hard, but when things started to go bad, they should have...umm...switched gears (pun intended) to another industry.

---------- Post added February-18th-2011 at 03:57 PM ----------

Detroit should start marketing itself as a place to retire. That way nobody going there has to worry about a job, plus they can take the money they have in equity in their current home and move up to a larger and cheaper home.

Too COLD to retire there!! haha.

Pittsburgh went through the same thing with the steel industry. They picked another industry (healthcare billing/insurance I believe) and are starting to revitalize. I think Detroit did not forsee the city would be hit this hard, but when things started to go bad, they should have...umm...switched gears (pun intended) to another industry.

That's indeed what they switched to. Pittsburgh is seeing a mini-revitilization thanks to healthcare (UPMC) and to some extent banking (PNC Bank). The city is still a far cry from what it was in its prime, but it's no longer in danger of going the Detroit/Cleveland route.

And yeah, it's way too damn cold for old people to retired to Detriot. :ols:

That's indeed what they switched to. Pittsburgh is seeing a mini-revitilization thanks to healthcare (UPMC) and to some extent banking (PNC Bank). The city is still a far cry from what it was in its prime, but it's no longer in danger of going the Detroit/Cleveland route.

Pittsburgh is also about a third of the size it once was. That's what Bing is trying to do in Detroit, but it's harder because Detroit is so much bigger and fell from so much higher to so much further down.

---------- Post added February-18th-2011 at 04:34 PM ----------

hmmmm, how about we just pick up the ghettos in DC/Pg County/Baltimore and transplant them to Detroit?

Oh ha ha ha. So edgy you are.

Okay, we can let Bmore keep their ghettos because I hate Bmore...:pfft:

Something about Baltimore scares me. And this is coming from someone who has spent a lot of time in scary places. I remember making a wrong turn once after going to the aquarium. Middle of the afternoon and the entire street was completely empty. It felt like a scene from a western where the bad guys are in town and everyone is boarded up inside their homes.

Something about Baltimore scares me. And this is coming from someone who has spent a lot of time in scary places. I remember making a wrong turn once after going to the aquarium. Middle of the afternoon and the entire street was completely empty. It felt like a scene from a western where the bad guys are in town and everyone is boarded up inside their homes.

:ols:

I moved here from New Orleans so Baltimore is Mayberryesque as far as I'm concerned. :)

The mayor is failing. His job should be to bring new business to the area. Then the houses get filled. He's barking up the wrong tree.

The City of Detroit is failing, not the Mayor, who is trying. This worked for Baltimore some years ago in row homes and it could work there, but they still need jobs to sustain any momentum they get started. He needs to clear out some large parcels and put in parks and new industry. Miami has worked wonders in some neighborhoods doing that and also using urban art to cultivate a cleaner atmosphere. Police presence in a cluster like that could mushroom a nice urban area block by block. The people living there must not only want it to happen but must participate. I wish the Mayor luck, it is truly one of the worst stories currently in this country, one that claims such greatness.

---------- Post added February-19th-2011 at 11:54 AM ----------

NorthEast or South, say Cherry Hill?

I don't know if Detroit's weather and climate are salubrious enough for the average pensioner. ;)

I keep remembering a SIMCITY scenario to rebuild Detroit

It started with building more Police Sub-stations to lower the crime rate...but you didn't have a whole lot of income to do it

---------- Post added February-20th-2011 at 10:07 AM ----------

...... salubrious .....
sa·lu·bri·ous/səˈlo͞obrēəs/Adjective

1. Health-giving; healthy: "salubrious weather".

2. (of a place) Pleasant; not run-down.

Archived