Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Iowa wrestler defaults rather than face girl

LeesburgSkinFan

"wow you are way off, way to miss the target guy. even if that was his belief, who are you to tell him he can't have it? it's his right, his families right, and his church's right to believe what they want to. just like it's your right to think about boys touching in a familiar way."

I think teaching a boy an old fashioned view of women only hurts the boy, that's all. They can do whatever they want.

that's a more understanding response, i get that, but in the end it wasn't even the parents decision, it was the boys. how much ridicule do you think he's going to get for this? the guy is standing by his beliefs and he gets ridiculed for it, shows how opened minded we as Americans really are.

Other than the... they're not as good argument (which is a very valid argument) I never really got why girls shouldn't be on a basketball or baseball team actually. To me, in competitive sports the best should be on the team. I can understand in violent sports some diffentiation based on muscle mass, etc., but I think if a female can cut it and wants the opportunity she should get her shot.

my first year as an AD, we had a female wrestler. in the middle of a match, a boob plopped out.

i'm glad i don't have daughters.

Mine was a swimmer,they soon lose most all modesty

It required a team effort to pop them things back in:ols:

"wow you are way off, way to miss the target guy. even if that was his belief, who are you to tell him he can't have it? it's his right, his families right, and his church's right to believe what they want to. just like it's your right to think about boys touching in a familiar way."

I think teaching a boy an old fashioned view of women only hurts the boy, that's all. They can do whatever they want.

How do you feel about teaching a boy to act contrary to his core beliefs as a reaction to how others feel he should act?

In Europe that wouldn't even be post worthy.

The boy and girl were 112 lbs soaking wet. He is a scrawny boy wrestling a girl, not a man. One thing is for sure, had he lost to her, he would have been embarrassed. I am sure there was a TON of jokes going on about him facing a girl. My opinion, he caved like a girl in fear of a loss.

good thing we're not in europe, huh?

he is a scrawny boy, yes. but boys and girls are different. you can't tell me there's no difference in a 112 pound teenage boy and a 112 pound teenage girl. i know we like to ignore the differences between males and females, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

as to the being scared part, did you see he's made the same decision before, based on the same rationale?

I don't know much about the subject, but I commend the guy for standing up for what he believes in. To those who say he is scared, I feel those people are very close minded. He shouldn't get ridiculed for his decisions.

What would they do if everyone bowed out against her, and she ended up winning the competition by default?

How do you feel about teaching a boy to act contrary to his core beliefs as a reaction to how others feel he should act?

We're taught that most days of our lives. That's why most of us don't bonk girls on the head with our clubs and drag 'em by the hair to our caves. For most, it's a core belief that we should procreate, that we should succeed, that we should conquer and be the best. Sometimes, learning how to modify or act contrary to our core beliefs and instincts is a part of civilizing us.

In Europe that wouldn't even be post worthy.

The boy and girl were 112 lbs soaking wet. He is a scrawny boy wrestling a girl, not a man. One thing is for sure, had he lost to her, he would have been embarrassed. I am sure there was a TON of jokes going on about him facing a girl. My opinion, he caved like a girl in fear of a loss.

Yes, we should definitely ignore what he stated clearly as his reasons, his perspective on faith and his 35-4 record this year because obviously this is out of his fear of being bested by a girl.

what an asinine assumption.

As a father of all daughters approaching their teens, You just scared the crap out of me

yeah seriously...well my daughter isn't approaching teens for another 12 years but they always say that time flies...scares the crap outta me

---------- Post added February-18th-2011 at 08:48 AM ----------

We're taught that most days of our lives. That's why most of us don't bonk girls on the head with our clubs and drag 'em by the hair to our caves. For most, it's a core belief that we should procreate, that we should succeed, that we should conquer and be the best. Sometimes, learning how to modify or act contrary to our core beliefs and instincts is a part of civilizing us.

So you're saying he should have just bonked her on the head with his club and dragged her by the hair to his man cave? :)

and other times it damages our personal character and betrays inherent belief systems in the spirit of fitting in.

Other than the... they're not as good argument (which is a very valid argument) I never really got why girls shouldn't be on a basketball or baseball team actually. To me, in competitive sports the best should be on the team. I can understand in violent sports some diffentiation based on muscle mass, etc., but I think if a female can cut it and wants the opportunity she should get her shot.

with that rationale, boys should be allowed to try out for the girls team. the 13th best male player should be the first one on the girls team, unless there are 12 girls better than him.

and other times it damages our personal character and betrays inherent belief systems in the spirit of fitting in.

True. :cheers:

Honestly, while I fundamentally believe in equality and that all people deserve their shot. I think his decision was laudable in most respects. I feel a little badly for her though.

Edit:

Major,

Again true. True equality is generally unfair. :) (I just figure someone in this thread ought to stick up for the rights of the chick)

Depends on what those core beliefs are.

I would wager that given this kid's background, he would have also forfeited his match if his opponent was gay. Would he have been applauded as much in that situation?

True. :cheers:

Honestly, while I fundamentally believe in equality and that all people deserve their shot. I think his decision was laudable in most respects. I feel a little badly for her though.

Edit:

Major,

Again true. True equality is generally unfair. :) (I just figure someone in this thread ought to stick up for the rights of the chick)

dude, chicks have rights in sports. they have every opportunity that boys have, and them some.

did you know title ix allows for unequal sport opportunities, so long as it favors females?

why do you think colleges all over the country have dropped mens track and field and wrestling programs?

---------- Post added February-18th-2011 at 09:01 AM ----------

I would wager that given this kid's background, he would have also forfeited his match if his opponent was gay. Would he have been applauded as much in that situation?

now you are making assumptions based on your dislike for his beliefs. at this point, you are trolling.

I think there's a fine line to this.

I had a girl play modified football for me two years ago. She was very, very good compared to a lot of the guys. But, I guess she didn't play this year because she herself realized how uncomfortable it was... Not just for her, but for all involved. She could never be a part of the team due to seperate locker rooms. A lot of bonding goes on in the locker room. She was kind of isolated. The guys accepted her, and looked at her as a teammate, but there was always a difference between her and them. It was the elephant in the room. I preached that it didn't matter and that she was a teammate, and like I said, everyone bought into that.

But there comes a point where it's uncomfortable.

And football is a sport with pads. There are no pads in wrestling.

A guy wrestling a girl is a strange position for both parties. I don't think there should be too much governence either way.

The boy felt that he wasn't comfortable, so he opted to sign up. Technically, he could have just said that he signed up for Boys' Wrestling and not Coed Wrestling and that would have been a fine excuse. He bowed out, respectfully. He didn't make a spectacle of it. I think he handled it fine.

I also think females should have an opportunity to participate in the sports they like in high school. But I've never been a big fan of CoEd contact sports.

I have no idea because that isnt what occurred here and you appear a bit desperate to prove a point that has no validity and is manufactured.

dude, chicks have rights in sports. they have every opportunity that boys have, and them some.

did you know title ix allows for unequal sport opportunities, so long as it favors females?

why do you think colleges all over the country have dropped mens track and field and wrestling programs?

---------- Post added February-18th-2011 at 09:01 AM ----------

now you are making assumptions based on your dislike for his beliefs. at this point, you are trolling.

I think it's a valid question. Would this kid have been applauded as much if the reason he forfeited his match was because his opponent was gay?

Ok, I'm sorry, but that is just grasping at keeping your argument valid. If you need to build a strawman to make your argument then you should probably warn us ahead of time so we don't take it seriously.

Yeah, but the sould of this thread is whether guys and gals should compete against each other. I think we acknowledge that they do. However, while reading this thread all or most seem to be approving of the decision not to wrestle strictly because of gender. It's still an underlying issue (and always will be) regardless of what the law says or how schools try to conform to it.

Besides, in this thread, someone's got to stick up for the broads and dames.

Edit: I think Endzone's question is interesting. It's entirely speculative, but it's interesting nontheless. I don't think we should cast the boy in that light, but as a general issue it's not unfair to raise.

I mean, who knows, maybe the real reason he didn't want to wrestle the girl is because he is gay and only enjoys wrestling with boys? :silly:

I think it's a valid question. Would this kid have been applauded as much if the reason he forfeited his match was because his opponent was gay?

We won't ever know, would you like to know why?

It's because it didn't happen. You can assume all you want, but all that does is the obvious ASS-U-ME. Again, you are building a strawman to make your argument, no one is going to take your opinion seriously if you continue that path.

No, he would be labeled a "homophobe".

I can't believe how easy it is to be labeled a homophobe nowadays.

Yeah, but the sould of this thread is whether guys and gals should compete against each other. I think we acknowledge that they do. However, while reading this thread all or most seem to be approving of the decision not to wrestle strictly because of gender. It's still an underlying issue (and always will be) regardless of what the law says or how schools try to conform to it.

Besides, in this thread, someone's got to stick up for the broads and dames.

fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Archived