Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mayock still has Jake Locker as his #2 QB, ahead of Newton and with a 1st Round grade

pram11

Nope, what I am saying is that the comparisons that have been made at great length on various threads are hardly random and are extremely well thought out. I am suggesting we draft Gabbert if it is in line with our board because of the shared traits to other successful QBs.

The fact that a paid professional sees the same things is reinforcement, not the sole justification.

Its not complicated.

If a team needs a QB. (which we do)

And a QB is available that is the BPA (or close to it) on that team's draft board then they should draft a QB.

lol, thank you. Much cleaner.

If we are feverishly pining to draft a franchise QB we might not listen to our board and take a QB at #10... or even trade up. I think that would be a mistake. However, if a QB is available and he's among the best players left on our board, let's do it.

The desire for a franchise QB for this team is at a fever pitch. I don't want to see us reach because we have daydreams of the next Rodgers or Bradford.

redzonejones, New York12:22 PM ET

Why do you have Locker rated higher than Newton Mike Mayock, NFL Network

OK Red' date=' my strong belief about this year's QB class is that they're the most difficult group to quantify in the last 10 years. [b']Gabbert, Locker, Newton and Mallett all have first-round talent[/b]. But they all have holes either in their on-field game, or concerns off the field. Over the next two months, I will be spending considerable time, along with the 32 NFL teams, trying to figure these kids out. In today's NFL, you have to have a franchise QB if you want to win a Super Bowl. All four of these kids have the ability, but the question is which one, two or three will ultimately get it done?

http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/1401?module=HP_headlines

I wanted Locker from last year before the McNabb trade when there was a possibility he'd enter because of his athleticism and potential. However, he basically regressed his senior season and didn't show enough to be a top-10 pick franchise QB. With his Senior Bowl performances lacking, I could see him slip to the 2nd round like Clausen did last year. If you remember, before the combine, Clausen was considered a potential top 10 pick right behind Bradford, and his drop out of the 1st round in the draft surprised some (although justified by his rookie year). Locker could go the same way.

I'd be fine taking him in the 2nd, and I do think he could still be the franchise QB for years to come. I like him better than Newton, and Mallet is a poor fit for Shanny. Gabbert's the only guy I'm comfortable taking at 10, and even he's not worth trading up for.

If you have the chance to take a franchise QB, you take him. I'd say this even if everything was fine with McNabb for the next few years. We need a young QB to develop badly. I don't really see how we don't come away with one in the 1st 2 rounds this year, or maybe with some trading to get other picks at take someone. In this case, you've got to trust the offensive staff to get who they want.

Q. Wondering what you consider the top draft needs at 25. You got an a up close look at them in the New Orleans Playoff game. Then how does the quarterback situation work into that? Hasselbeck’s going to be a free agent and they made a trade from Whitehurst last year. So overall who Seattle might be looking at with that number 25 pick?

I don’t even know what their free agency prospects are right now because I don’t do team needs until after the Combine. But from a quarterback perspective they’ve got to make some decisions right now, obviously. Matt Hasselbeck is not getting any younger.

Whitehurst had kind of an interesting season. Had he some highlight, especially at the end of the year there. But I don’t think he answered all the questions. So the first thing that Pete Carroll and those guys have to decide is are they looking at a quarterback there?

There is a guy right down the street who has first round ability, but hasn’t always shown that. It would be interesting to see what their evaluation of Jake Locker is because that’s a really talented kid who has first round potential, but has struggled in the pocket.

Lot of people are writing him off, and I’m not. I’m not. I think he we have to do a bunch of homework on him.

http://blog.49ers.com/2011/02/17/nfln%E2%80%99s-mike-mayock-talks-draft/

One of the things that makes Aaron Rodgers so special is his ability to throw accutately when he breaks the pocket, whether that's by design or because the pocket is breaking down and he uses his mobility to escape and extend the play. And that is Locker's best quality. Yes, Locker is a very athletic QB who ran the ball a lot, but the majority of his runs were the design of the offense. That said, he doesn't break contain and automatically look to run the way Vick did at Tech and Atlanta. Locker gets out of the pocket and throws about as acccurately on the move as any college QB you will find. That's a rare and special trait of any QB, particularly one at such a young age. I firmly believe his accuracy issues from the pocket would be corrected through the coaching of Mike Shanahan. Shanahan is one of the great QB coach's the league has seen, and making guys more accurate through the coaching of proper footwork is at the core of how he coaches the position.

I actually like that he kept it like that because everyone went crazy on Locker because of his Senior Bowl and practice performances. Senior Bowl stuff doesn't really have an effect on stock and rightfully so. Why should someone be graded higher or lower with one game of new teammates as opposed to seasons of college game film?

College game film can't tell scouts who the primary receiver is supposed to be on any given play. With variations of talent levels and quality of systems each team faces, evaluating prospects can be very tricky. It cant tell coaches about a players practice habits or how well they respond to coaching.

The Senior Bowl is the first and in some cases the only time scouts can see a prospect interact with Pro coaches. Both teams are loaded with talented players and have an equal chance to learn the systems they will run on game day. And most importantly, they can see exactly what the coaches are asking of the players and how well they respond to it.

If you cant see the value of *that*, I don't know what to tell you.

If anyone cares, my board (for now) is:

1) Gabbert

2) Locker

I simply don't trust Newton. I cant get it out of my head that he stole a laptop. To me that's more than a simple mistake. That's a MAJOR **** up for a college QB, and an insight into his real character. Let someone else take a chance on him. We've been burned too many times with character issues in the past to bet a first round pick and the franchise on another gamble.

One of the things that makes Aaron Rodgers so special is his ability to throw accutately when he breaks the pocket, whether that's by design or because the pocket is breaking down and he uses his mobility to escape and extend the play. And that is Locker's best quality. Yes, Locker is a very athletic QB who ran the ball a lot, but the majority of his runs were the design of the offense. That said, he doesn't break contain and automatically look to run the way Vick did at Tech and Atlanta. Locker gets out of the pocket and throws about as acccurately on the move as any college QB you will find. That's a rare and special trait of any QB, particularly one at such a young age. I firmly believe his accuracy issues from the pocket would be corrected through the coaching of Mike Shanahan. Shanahan is one of the great QB coach's the league has seen, and making guys more accurate through the coaching of proper footwork is at the core of how he coaches the position.

disagree completley his best attribute is being able to put a ball naywhere from anywehere pocket on the run whatever dude is just out of this world accurate.

I simply don't trust Newton. I cant get it out of my head that he stole a laptop. To me that's more than a simple mistake. That's a MAJOR **** up for a college QB, and an insight into his real character. Let someone else take a chance on him. We've been burned too many times with character issues in the past to bet a first round pick and the franchise on another gamble.

He bought a stolen laptop.

I'm still under the impression that whichever QB we take in whichever round, he's going to sit for a year or 2. So comparing the talent around him now would be moot. McNabb or Grossman will be the starter this year.

Well look at what Shanny did with Cutler he sat him and had a vet start out for the team before he turned the keys over to his guy. That's why I'm not afraid of taking a Gabbert at 10 because you sit him for a year build up your arsenal of weapons on the O and then let him play your going to be in great shape. Gabbert at QB with a guy like Justin Blackmon next year at WR would be a dynamic combo that would have teams worrying

He bought a stolen laptop.

Fair enough. But it's pretty clear he knew it was stolen.

I'm not saying he's the worst dude on the planet. But we're talking about the face and most important position of the franchise here. Whoever we pick will be a gamble to some degree but we need to keep our risk level to a minimum. He just isn't that much better than any of the other guys to make that character risk worthwhile.

---------- Post added February-18th-2011 at 07:16 PM ----------

I'm still under the impression that whichever QB we take in whichever round, he's going to sit for a year or 2. So comparing the talent around him now would be moot. McNabb or Grossman will be the starter this year.

I think it's more likely that McNabb will be gone and unless Grossman plays lights out, whoever we pick will get his chance by mid season.

I broke down a full game and some highlights for a thread on Locker a couple of weeks back and have watched quite a bit of film of him since. Its not hyperbole when I say he is one of the best QBs I have seen when throwing on the run, His accuracy when throwing while moving is excellent - I stand by that statement and would challenge anyone to provide evidence to the contrary.

When he is throwing from the pocket he does have accuracy issues - its not though like he is high and wild every other throw. From what I have seen and from what much better qualified analysts say it looks like he has some footwork issues when throwing from the pocket which are affecting his consistency of release point and thus accuracy. I dont know how correctable his footwork issues are but by all accounts he is very hard working and coachable so I think there is a good chance.

I'm not in the draft Locker camp and I would not take him at 10 personally but if he was still there in the second round though I think he would be well worth that pick.

The problem with your breakdown was that you chose the best game of his college career. One game is not exactly the best sample. I'm not a QB but I am a baseball pitcher and there are some days where you are just "on." If you were to watch my best game you would think that my fastball location was tremendous. If you were to take a bigger sample of my outings you would realize that my fastball location is actually a weakness of mine. But you'll have to excuse me if I take a breakdown of the best game of his career as an accurate benchmark of his strengths and weaknesses with a grain of salt.

And before you get defensive, I thought you did a very good job on the breakdown and found the thread interesting. I just think it'w way too small of a sample size to make a conclusion on anything.

The problem with your breakdown was that you chose the best game of his college career. One game is not exactly the best sample. I'm not a QB but I am a baseball pitcher and there are some days where you are just "on." If you were to watch my best game you would think that my fastball location was tremendous. If you were to take a bigger sample of my outings you would realize that my fastball location is actually a weakness of mine. But you'll have to excuse me if I take a breakdown of the best game of his career as an accurate benchmark of his strengths and weaknesses with a grain of salt.

And before you get defensive, I thought you did a very good job on the breakdown and found the thread interesting. I just think it'w way too small of a sample size to make a conclusion on anything.

No problem, I'm not normally the defensive type and I agree one game is a small sample. I've watched quite a bit more of Locker since as I said in the post you quoted and I still see pretty much the same thing - a guy who is consistently very accurate and effective working outside the pocket and consistently inconsistent working inside the pocket. On his good days he looks better working inside the pocket and on his bad days he looks, well, bad.

I am pretty sure it's footwork inside the pocket which is getting him into trouble. I think that's fixable but may be wrong. What worries me more about Locker in the pocket is to what extent it's pressure and him forcing things because he is uncomfortable when he is kept inside the pocket either by the defense or the scheme.

Fair enough. But it's pretty clear he knew it was stolen.

I'm not saying he's the worst dude on the planet. But we're talking about the face and most important position of the franchise here. Whoever we pick will be a gamble to some degree but we need to keep our risk level to a minimum. He just isn't that much better than any of the other guys to make that character risk worthwhile.

Knowing something is stolen and paying for it, is entirely different than stealing something yourself.

I don't think we should draft any qb in the 1st, but if we had to and Cam was available he would be my choice.

i've seen many people in this thread mention Locker's poor footwork. After a season with McNabb and Rex, i think the last thing we need is to draft a QB who has poor footwork.

I think the main thing with McNabb as far as footwork was the whole "old dog, new tricks" deal. The Shannys wanted him to change his footwork so it would be better and more efficient, especially in their offense, but he probably didn't take to it too well. Not sure whether it was him being stubborn or just not really being able to do it after doing it his way for so long. Thats one of the reasons I'd love to see them get their QB at 10. If they pick a QB at 10 you have to assume that they believe in his talents, smarts, and maybe most importantly, ability to learn and grow.

The problem with your breakdown was that you chose the best game of his college career.....I just think it'w way too small of a sample size to make a conclusion on anything.

Wait.

MartinC's sample size is too small but he actually took the time to breakdown an entire game.

But, you're sample size based on ? isn't?

BTW-

MartinC, didn't choose the game and it wasn't Locker's best game.

And the opinion that Locker is very accurate outside is pretty much a well accepted assessment of his ability.

Well look at what Shanny did with Cutler he sat him and had a vet start out for the team before he turned the keys over to his guy. That's why I'm not afraid of taking a Gabbert at 10 because you sit him for a year build up your arsenal of weapons on the O and then let him play your going to be in great shape. Gabbert at QB with a guy like Justin Blackmon next year at WR would be a dynamic combo that would have teams worrying

Exactly my point. We don't "HAVE" to start a #1 draft pick QB this year. We stink anyway, so why not let him sit, learn and continue to build the team around him. I don't ever think I've actually seen this franchise do that. Even all the way back to George Allen. Unless you count Rypien (who we sat for 2 years), but we had a SB team around him. We just had to wait for him.

I am pretty sure it's footwork inside the pocket which is getting him into trouble. I think that's fixable but may be wrong. What worries me more about Locker in the pocket is to what extent it's pressure and him forcing things because he is uncomfortable when he is kept inside the pocket either by the defense or the scheme.

I think that is what worries me as well. Not sure if it was this thread or another one but I mentioned that he has some of the same concerns that Patrick Ramsey had coming out of college. They couldn't be more different as QBs but mentally I think the pocket issues are similar. From everything I've read Locker is a class A individual who is very open to coaching but that doesn't necessarily mean that his problems can be easily cured. I coach basketball and baseball and some of my most skilled players aren't necessarily the best players.

But as I've said, I'm not a football scout or a coach so what the hell do I know. I have no idea if he has received good coaching in college. The footwork thing may be an easy fix if he gets the right guy. If it is something that can be fixed then he may very well be worth the 1st rounder but from my distant view I wouldn't.

Archived