Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS Washington: Rogers Hopes ‘Skins Show Him the Money

authentic

I just hope we don't lowball Rogers and not sign him. Then spend outrageous money for his replacement. Like we did not signing Ryan Clark, then throwing the bank at Archuleta, then Landry.

Yea I hear you but right now his offer from the team is $0. Ufa and he has had no contact from the team to this point. I don't think were going to spend tons of money on another corner honestly. With a 3-4 defense we need the horses in the front 7. Hall has his deal and laron is coming up on FA as well so can only have so much money tied up in the secondary. When los was out phillip and Barnes played pretty well overall and our defense actually improved other young guys playing as well.

I used to jokingly call the Skins drafting of Carlos in 2005, as the 'wrong Rodgers.' (Still wonder how that would have turned out with Aaron learning behind Brunnell with the Gibbs/Saunders/Williams coach combination.)

That said, Carlos is now a solid, but not spectacular CB, with NFL seasoning and experience in Haslett's system. He's the "Army" to Hall "Air-Force" style of play. So he'd be a decent talent to have on the roster (at some point we have to let that #9 pick label stop coloring what he's developed into) but it's not top-tier talent.

From the FO's standpoint. a big deciding factor is whatever the salary number is that the Skins and Rogers get close to. If Rogers doesn't budge from that 57 million, then he won't be resigned. Any number lower than that will be compared versus what CB talent the Skins might get for that kind of money on the open market. But if Rogers offers the Skins a 'local discount' (not likely it seems) then he'd proabably be back with the team again.

No doubt the Skins FO feel there are reasons for wanting a deep "local discount". Carlos is 30 with a few more years left, but with increasingly longer injury history. It appears he may not be a plus for team chemistry, and there are questions on how hard he plays when he feels he isn't getting what he 'feels' he's worth. He's not a fan favorite with all those drops (especially the drop in the playoff against Seattle) and that infamous "cushion" he tends to offer the opposing WR. He seems to have worn out his honeymoon period with Haslett. Worst of all, his lengthy injury time at the end of the season, didn't allow him to make a good impression heading into off-season decision-time. (While I'm not that keen on Barnes, Buchanon and Westbrook -- Haslett probably noted how they seemed to fill somewhat adequately for Rogers.)

All that tends to lead me to believe that Carlos will NOT be back with the Skins. And frankly, he might be better off getting a fresh start with another city, .

Agreed, when los came out on a interview and said he needed to carefull about his hamstring because he's coming up on FA that was nail in the coffin. We still had games left and a lot of guys were playing injured but los took his time. Some even question if he wasn't closer to 100% then he let on. If your Hamstrings are injured would you really be out at the club 4 nights during the weak? Or getting treatment to play ? Los is a lot of talk but little substance.

Agreed, when los came out on a interview and said he needed to carefull about his hamstring because he's coming up on FA that was nail in the coffin. We still had games left and a lot of guys were playing injured but los took his time. Some even question if he wasn't closer to 100% then he let on. If your Hamstrings are injured would you really be out at the club 4 nights during the weak? Or getting treatment to play ? Los is a lot of talk but little substance.

So i guess we can conclude that Los is basically a goner.

Everyone keeps saying "I like Carlos", etc....separate from however you all feel about his talent, why? He's been a malcontent on this team for awhile. He constantly talks about his next contract and what he deserves. He's been known to quit on his team.

Is it just an attempt to appear objective? Like saying "Listen, I like Albert Haynesworth, trust me...but he's a piece of ****."

When has Carlos quit on the team? And malcontent? He came to last seasons offseason workouts even though he was not pleased with being tendered and not offered a long-term contract. He did things the right way.

---------- Post added February-19th-2011 at 07:49 PM ----------

I could see how people could think that's quitting on the team, but I don't agree. We were pretty much out of the playoffs, but regardless of that he was hurt and didn't want to risk either aggravating the injury and making it worse heading into a contract offseason or show bad on film. Can you blame him? This is a business as well and people need to be understand that. He came back very quickly from multiple tears in his knee after the '07 season but did that get him anywhere with this team on a long-term deal? Where's the acknowledgment for that? Why should he damage potential future earnings while attempting to play hurt. Its not as though he shut it down after that, he came back the finish the season. Again, I'm not saying bring him back, but only because of age and where the pricetag may be. If the price comes down and other guys aren't available I wouldn't shut the door....

When has Carlos quit on the team? And malcontent? He came to last seasons offseason workouts even though he was not pleased with being tendered and not offered a long-term contract. He did things the right way.

---------- Post added February-19th-2011 at 07:49 PM ----------

I could see how people could think that's quitting on the team, but I don't agree. We were pretty much out of the playoffs, but regardless of that he was hurt and didn't want to risk either aggravating the injury and making it worse heading into a contract offseason or show bad on film. Can you blame him? This is a business as well and people need to be understand that. He came back very quickly from multiple tears in his knee after the '07 season but did that get him anywhere with this team on a long-term deal? Where's the acknowledgment for that? Why should he damage potential future earnings while attempting to play hurt. Its not as though he shut it down after that, he came back the finish the season. Again, I'm not saying bring him back, but only because of age and where the pricetag may be. If the price comes down and other guys aren't available I wouldn't shut the door....

When coach suspended haynesworth he stated he refused to play in certain packages ect. Obviously he was letting everyone know that wasn't acceptable in dc. Trainers and coaches felt los was ready to go but he still sat out and missed time. Los came back for a game after some prodding and then shut it down again plus his public comments on saving himself for fa. His comments and actions went against the grain. On the flip side you had laron who played all year with a dislocated wrist and tried his best to still come back and play with his Achilles injury. Team player vs me player.

Los- I don't want bad film and need to save myself for free agency comments.

Laron- there's 52 guys out there fighting and I feel I need to be out there making a differance fighting with them.

Polar opposites as one has come into the league and matured with each year while one has maintained the status quo.

Carlos is only worth 57 million on a 20 year deal with 10 million guaranteed. Seriously he dropped too many balls to be considered anything special. I rather have Namdi and give him 45 million guaranteed for the next 3 years if there is no salary cap moving forward. If there is a salary cap moving forward then just let kevin barnes try it next year and draft a cb with a late round draft pick.

” Rogers said. “My numbers are exactly around all those guys, besides interceptions.”

While signing with the Orioles this offseason, Derrek Lee expected to be paid between 300-400 million dollars for a 6 year deal. His reasoning? "My numbers are exactly around all those guys [Pujols, Rodriguez] besides home runs."

Its not good when you're trying to get paid because your numbers are comparable to players at your position with the exception of the one number that players at your position get paid the big bucks for.

Carlos is a great cover corner but he'll never be elite because he can't hold on to interceptions. He's not a game changer he's a solid player and solid players don't get paid the DeAngelo Hall contract. Theres a reason why DeAngelo was in the pro bowl and Carlos wasn't. He had 4 picks in a game and Carlos had 2 on the season. Remember 2008 when he had 2 INT's and 24 passes defended? Thats because he dropped like 8 interceptions that season. That is not what you pay a guy top dollar to do. Carlos can go walk to the open market and see what he gets.

Its sad because you'll end up with a Ryan Clark/Antonio Pierce situation. I think Rogers will not get the offer he wants from us, but he won't get it from any team. I think that he'll be angry at us for not ponying up the money and will go to play elsewhere and pretend like that team gave him the money we wouldn't offer him while in reality he would have refused that kind of money from us.

LL56 just tweeted this regarding what number Atogwe would wear since 21 is (hopefully) not an option:

@LL56xtremeskins

LL

@Burgundy #22 will be available tho....

What an upgrade to our secondary. The money Rogers asked for being spent on Atogwe. Taking Los number would be the icing on the cake. Wonder how the FO really feels about Los. lol

What an upgrade to our secondary. The money Rogers asked for being spent on Atogwe. Taking Los number would be the icing on the cake. Wonder how the FO really feels about Los. lol

Maybe they like what they see in Barnes and Westbrook? I was a big Rogers hater, then a fan in 2007, and now I just don't care about him. Great cover corner, no hands, piss poor attitude towards the team.

Maybe they like what they see in Barnes and Westbrook? I was a big Rogers hater, then a fan in 2007, and now I just don't care about him. Great cover corner, no hands, piss poor attitude towards the team.

The only memorable Rogers moment I can think of is his hit on Joshua Cribbs.

Rather, the money that 'Los is looking for could be used on Atogwe and 1 or 2 more FAs.

if we gave carlos some 50 mil contract.. we would have one of the most expensive secondaries in the league and they would barely be a top ten secondary.

fail.

The main reason we couldn't do this contract is because Landry is going to be up for a contract extension because his rookie deal is coming to an end....and if Landry has another year like this past year...you have to give him the money bottom line

i'm not sad to see him go. i think this is the most 'ehh' i've felt about a player leaving. when certain guys get cut, i've reacted in two ways: 'what?!' or 'good'. but with rogers, i'm neither of those. i want him back because he's a pretty good cover corner. at the same time, he seems a bit selfish and thinks pretty highly of himself. not the attitude i want on this team and i'd bet shanny is thinking the same thing.

we'll see what kind of money he makes. that campbell/rogers first round really failed for us it seems.

Archived