Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is NPR/PBS liberally biased?

Burgold

Generally most people who go into both government service and something which is somewhat artistic or topical tend to be more liberal in their viewpoints. NPR doesn't strike me as horrible when they run programs on relevant current events, and I wouldn't say the shows are trying to be liberal as much as they are trying to talk about things which are happening in our world today or interesting information people don't already know.

The things which can get a bit wacky are the debates on many issues. The ones I've listened to over the years have sometimes included a majority of super left wingers and at the most 1 centrist (sp?) to balance things out. It certainly isn't often going to have a feature on the ways a true free market economy could be highly beneficial, or why it would be completely fair for every equal American to pay the same tax percentage to the feds on their earned income...sure they may do things like that and try to have conservative viewpoints at times but I'm guessing the producers, hosts, and any writers or whatever for the show are all on the left side of things simply because of the field they're in.

I don't think its really a bad thing though. It's public radio and they don't push a party agenda they just have a lot of people somewhat pushing similar ideologies but thats how America is. I'd rather sit and listen to some stupid NPR story about a interesting group of sweater knitting women from Montana with colorful pasts than sit and listen to Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Michael Savage, Glenn Beck, and "Doctor" Laura preach a lot of misguided facts and nonsense as they often do.

Dear Liberal NPR

This afternoon I just happened to be listening to your biased program and I heard you talking about Obama's recent update to abortion regulation.

The supporters of abortion rights were referred to as "Pro-Choice"........their opponents were referred to as "Anti-Abortion"

Does these seem fair and balanced to you?

While those on the left will fully support your "Choice" of labels.....you might see how this might suck the "LIFE" out of your conservative support

And since we are talking about support....I have a request

If you wish to continue your public financing......for the next year you should refer to those that support ending the life of the unborn as "Pro-Abortion" while at the same time referring to those that support that same life as "Pro-Life"....Now THAT seems fair

Also, You might consider not highlighting NARAL’s reference on your website it seems rather biased considering NO highlight for the FAMILY RESEARCH COUNCIL's

Then again, if your were ALSO trying to LINK to NARAL and not FRC.....your NARAL link doesn't work......But that just demonstrates your incompetence.....as well as more of your bias

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/02/18/133877729/new-rules-on-contraception-spark-conscience-clause-debate

"RANT" about the Liberal "SLANT" over

Now lets get back to your defense of the Wisconsin Union Thugs.............

Dear Liberal NPR

This afternoon I just happened to be listening to your biased program and I heard you talking about Obama's recent update to abortion regulation.

I don't know why, but I just can't take you seriously at least in this post. I mean just the "I just happened to be listening to your biased program" just sounds like hogwash. Was it ATC, ME, was it Diane Rehm, a newshole, a news slug, was it a local show... what program. Note when we complain about a FOX program we name it or name the reporter or give it some specificity. There's no way to fact check. Now, I know (or suspect) you're having a little fun being over the top in your "rant" but you just sound full of bs.

I asked in this thread for specifics. I actually think that the pro-choice versus anti abortion rhetoric would be a reasonable example of biased word play... but I don't know what show, what host, what reporter. I don't know if the person who said anti-abortion was a caller. I don't know if this was a live or canned show.

You give me nothing. Thus, your complaint is worth nothing.

You give me nothing. Thus, your complaint is worth nothing.
You didn't verify the link did you?

Your BS...."I think they lean left but give me proof BS thread" is just that

Go to the link and verify that NARAL is highlighted but the Family Research Council isn't....why?...Bias

I do listen to NPR and TODAY at approximetly 4:30 pacific I heard that Biased screed from NPR.....can YOU dig up the report?....do so (I think it was All Things Considered"....and it was about Obamas recent update to the abortion rules....like I said)

Now you gonna go to the link.....or just pretend you are fair?

Sorry. Missed the link.

I do not like the phrasing she chose. Anti-abortion is not a fair term (although honestly it is accurate). It's a blog which gives her some cover. However, given her background, the awards she's won as a health reporter, and credentials she should have done better.

Because it's a blog... and essentially an opinion piece I can deal with her not balancing it by looking for the counter opinion from the FAMILY RESEARCH COUNCIL or some other pro-life site although personally, I think that's a bit sloppy and lazy. It's probably not a bad example of liberal bias to be honest, but condemning an entire network and 200 plus radio stations the basis of a blog is well... blah (on the other hand, she impeaches herself by writing a blog. I really don't like the anti-abortion language... although my rhetorical dislike of it is based on PCism)

(BTW, for what it's worth I'm in a really grumpy mood tonight)

.....Because it's a blog...
Is she an NPR reporter?

Do you think HIGHLIGHTING NARAL was a Link?

It would be VERY Biased if they are attempting to link to Naral and Not to FRC.......and if not a link I would ask....Why the highlight on one and not the other?

Also

To be fair, during her report she said Anti-abortion and Abortion Rights (Not pro-choice).......which isn't as biased as I first heard

Link

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=3&islist=true&id=2&d=02-18-2011

Have a Beer Grumpy :cheers:

Do you think HIGHLIGHTING NARAL was a Link?

It would be VERY Biased if they are trying to attempt a link to Naral and Not to FRC.......and if not a link I would ask....why the highlight on one and not the other?

Also

To be fair, during her report she said Anti-abortion and Abortion Rights (Not pro-choice).......which isn't as biased as I first heard

Link

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=3&islist=true&id=2&d=02-18-2011

Yeah, I'm not really upset with Anti-abortion versus abortion rights. That's pretty equivalent. As for the linking, you are correct, except that you are wrong. :D

The fault lies not with the broadcaster, but with a sloppy editor. Both sites should be linked. Not sure why one wasn't, but that really looks like a glitch rather than an act of malice. An act of malice would have been talking to NARAL and not the pro life guys.

That said, I agree that NPR's web editor blew it. Both organizations should be linked. In fact, it's pretty common these days for every organization to be linked. I usually have mine linked in a side bar, but that's because I don't publish the transcripts with my story.

Funny how that editor always seems to make mistakes favoring one side

Stay Tuned

"Always" is a bad word to choose. Only one example has to be found and you are proven the fool. Don't by hyperbolic and ilicit my grumptitude! It's already irritating me that I'm trying to be reasonable when I'm in a foul mood.

---------- Post added February-18th-2011 at 10:03 PM ----------

I will say if this starts to happen as often as controversial Republicans get labeled as Democrats on FOX I'll have to yell at some people. I actually know a few of the bums down at NPR who do this stuff. Good guys. My excuse for them is that they are often transcribing, importing graphics, and getting the audio and transcripts linked up for hundreds of pieces a day sometimes. It's not hard to miss. Though they really aren't allowed to. That's the worst part of the news business. You're supposed to get it right 100% of the time.

"Always" is a bad word to choose. Only one example has to be found and you are proven the fool. Don't by hyperbolic and ilicit my grumptitude! It's already irritating me that I'm trying to be reasonable when I'm in a foul mood.

---------- Post added February-18th-2011 at 10:03 PM ----------

I will say if this starts to happen as often as controversial Republicans get labeled as Democrats on FOX I'll have to yell at some people. I actually know a few of the bums down at NPR who do this stuff. Good guys. My excuse for them is that they are often transcribing, importing graphics, and getting the audio and transcripts linked up for hundreds of pieces a day sometimes. It's not hard to miss. Though they really aren't allowed to. That's the worst part of the news business. You're supposed to get it right 100% of the time.

Wow Burgold, I wouldn't ever picture you in a "foul" mood. You are one of the least foul persons on this site :)

Wow Burgold, I wouldn't ever picture you in a "foul" mood. You are one of the least foul persons on this site :)

:tantrum:

I'm already mostly getting over it. It's just been a long, long, long week. Luckily, I've been through enough serious stuff that the small stuff can pile up, make me grump, but then it rolls off. Complaining about complaining is just another way to blow off steam. Next week actually has a couple of things that I'm really looking forward to.

I think because PBS/NPR speak to us like adults, address issues with nuance and depth, and occasionally focus on art and culture, they just don't feel conservative. They certainly don't have anything in common with Fox news. Therefore they must have a liberal bias. Its just a label they've been stuck with, who cares that it doesn't have any basis in reality.

That's pretty much what I see as well.

:tantrum:

I'm already mostly getting over it. It's just been a long, long, long week. Luckily, I've been through enough serious stuff that the small stuff can pile up, make me grump, but then it rolls off. Complaining about complaining is just another way to blow off steam. Next week actually has a couple of things that I'm really looking forward to.

How serious can it be?

It's just life. I picture you as "staying medium".

---------- Post added February-18th-2011 at 10:31 PM ----------

That's pretty much what I see as well.

Yep, because if you aren't liberal minded, you have no nuance and depth. That's pretty much right on.

Yep, because if you aren't liberal minded, you have no nuance and depth. That's pretty much right on.

Oh goody, it's the "let's put words into someone else's mouth" game!! I love this game!!! This really never does get old.

Personally, I think it's funny that for a supposedly Leftist biased news organization there should be plenty of Leftist examples of very naughty bias to be found....and yet......hmmm

Instead, the Right doesn't like NPR because they do talk to people like adults, and they don't participate in flaming and they aren't pandering...none of which can be said for the rest of the media as a whole...especially Faux Snooze. But, in the end it's so much more fun to go on a witch hunt rather than engage in actual grown up talk about issues, plus the ratings are better that way. I mean after all Jerry Springer was a smash hit because of the high level of positive intellectual discourse right. :doh:

And so because NPR uses big words and talks civilly they are elitists and Leftist snobs. Oh that's right, and NPR is unconstitutional. :yawnee:

and BIG BOLD HIGHLIGHTS to promote NARAL over The Family Research Council in the same article

Its what they do

Just curious, is that your only example?

And question for NPR fans: is Prarie Home Companion really worth listening to? I always flip stations when I hear it on but I don't think I've ever really given it a chance.

I don't think anyone came close to saying that so pick yourself up off the ground and stop playing the victim. NPR does take a more adult tone than most news outlets that try to make all news as "entertaining" as possible. Do you disagree?

---------- Post added February-19th-2011 at 07:20 AM ----------

Dear Liberal NPR

The supporters of abortion rights were referred to as "Pro-Choice"........their opponents were referred to as "Anti-Abortion"

Does these seem fair and balanced to you?

While those on the left will fully support your "Choice" of labels.....you might see how this might suck the "LIFE" out of your conservative support

And since we are talking about support....I have a request

If you wish to continue your public financing......for the next year you should refer to those that support ending the life of the unborn as "Pro-Abortion" while at the same time referring to those that support that same life as "Pro-Life"....Now THAT seems fair

Also, You might consider not highlighting NARAL’s reference on your website it seems rather biased considering NO highlight for the FAMILY RESEARCH COUNCIL's

Then again, if your were ALSO trying to LINK to NARAL and not FRC.....your NARAL link doesn't work......But that just demonstrates your incompetence.....as well as more of your bias

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/02/18/133877729/new-rules-on-contraception-spark-conscience-clause-debate

"RANT" about the Liberal "SLANT" over

Now lets get back to your defense of the Wisconsin Union Thugs.............

So based on that nonsense "fair" would be referring to pro-choice advocates as "pro-abortion" (which is frankly stupid) and Pro-Life as of course Pro-Life. That's hilarious. Both labels are pure marketing! Who doesn't like the right to choose things and who is going to oppose "life"? They are nice words. One favors abortions current legal status and the other opposes it. Fair would be calling them "pro-legal abortion" and "con-legal abortion" As for the "highlighting" it's a link to another story not a attempt to accentuate the word or link to the NARAL site. Scroll over the link and look at the bottom of your browser.

Really if this is your evidence of bias it's weak. Come up with something better and not written by an obvious moron that doesn't know how to use an internet browser for torpedo his own arguments.

IHOP...

First of all, it's a pretty amateurish piece of writing. Reads like something i'd see from a high schooler.

Secondly, and correct me if I'm wrong on this, but were you also complaining about the terms "pro-choice" and "anti-abortion" being used in the written piece as well as on air? Because "pro-choice" is part of the group's name. And that was the only instance the writer used it.

Lastly, I'm a bit confused on the whole font issue. Not what you're saying but what it's purpose is or if there even is a purpose. On the mobile version of the article that I originally read (I'm on my phone), it's not even there. I had no clue what you were talking about. I went to the full site, saw the link, clicked on iit and was taken to a "not found" page. Now maybe they did it on purpose but from my view, it just looks like a **** up in the coding/editing of the text.

As far as to the content and tone of the piece, I don't see bias. But that's just me.

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin

I do not like the phrasing she chose. Anti-abortion is not a fair term
Tell this guy....
So based on that nonsense "fair" would be referring to pro-choice advocates as "pro-abortion" (which is frankly stupid) and Pro-Life as of course Pro-Life....

Fair would be using Pro-Choice and Pro-Life...pretty simple really

Come up with something better and not written by an obvious moron........
Is it That Obvious?
........for torpedo his own arguments.
"For Torpedo" Huh?.... Do only Morons know what you are Trying to say here?
Come up with something better and not written by an obvious moron that doesn't know how to use an internet browser for torpedo his own arguments.....
Did you really WRITTEN that sentence?

If I DON'T know how to use a Browser for Torpedoing my own argument....that would mean...I am NOT Torpedoing my own argument...See how that works Des?

Notice how generous I am in changing your Noun - Torpedo...into a Verb...makes that whole sentence of yours sound more like English

Now

Would you agree that your sentence was NOT Written by an Obvious Moron?.....then you just might be wrong

Now THATS how you Torpedo someones argument....you use their own moronic sentence against them

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin
...it's a pretty amateurish piece of writing .....

So I guess that makes you an Amature Piece....well at least you are pretty :pfft:

Yeah, so far there doesn't seem to be a lot of "there" there. The only specific culprit mentioned so far is "Wait! Wait! Don't Tell Me!" a comedy/news gameshow and Prairie Home Companion.

Hold on; accusing "Wait! Wait!" of bias? That's like accusing the Colbert Report. The object of the show is to make me chuckle.

Archived