Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is NPR/PBS liberally biased?

Burgold

First of all you need to separate NPR from PBS. In that other thread you reference I mentioned that NPR has a liberal or left slant. PBS is fine, they are abidingly neutral. Throw the axe down only on NPR, they don't deserve to be funded with tax money (and keep in mind even with the left slant I still think they do some fine work).

Cool. Then specifically what does NPR do. Which host or reporter or show ought to be drummed out for lack of journalistic integrity and failing bias?

Let em have it. I really do want to know? I can kind of buy aRedskins/Corcaigh's argument that the Williams' situation showed something in how management handled it, but I want more good concrete examples. What brought you to this conclusion. What have you heard? How are stories dealt with that makes you think "This is liberal slop!"

Don't tell me it is. Tell me why it is!

I think because PBS/NPR speak to us like adults, address issues with nuance and depth, and occasionally focus on art and culture, they just don't feel conservative. They certainly don't have anything in common with Fox news. Therefore they must have a liberal bias. Its just a label they've been stuck with, who cares that it doesn't have any basis in reality.
i listen to npr a good bit.

this is just my opinion:

in actual news reporting, you won't find a more neutral, unbiased source.

in opinion pieces, they lean a bit left, but it's not blatant.

I agree with both of these posts, especially the part about neutral and unbiased in news reporting. That is SO rare these days. It's really one of the only places left where they will simply lay the details out for you and report the news in a neutral, open ended manner. Yes they lean left on opinion pieces but they are always careful of a few things 1) they always lay out all sides and give equal breath to all sides to speak their mind 2) they always encourage civility and depth in the conservations about a topic. If you want screaming, yelling, skim the surface, polarizing opinion, find it of fox, find it on MSNBC....hell, find it on every and any cable news source or talk radio source you want to choose from, there are plenty, but you won't find that on NPR. Those are the things that make NPR important and worth paying for to me.

I would say because ideas like respect, responsibility, and intellectualism are considered "liberal ideals" but liberals and conservatives both are equally capable of being irrational.

I really don't get it, either. I watch PBS every night for the NewsHour and I find that their overall reporting is about as fair and objective as it gets. I'd go as far as to say it is THE best evening news show on television. I don't really listen to All Things Considered too often, but I have noticed a bit of a leftist slant on NPR on the non-music related shows I do listen to (especially Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me and even A Prairie Home Companion). Car Talk, though, usually keeps things apolitical and is probably one of the funniest programs on TV or radio.

I really think people have a problem with our media actually talking to us instead of talking at us. It requires people to think and I believe a lot of people see television and radio as escapes where they can have someone tell them what's funny or what's important. NPR and PBS don't do that. They are there to enlighten their audience.

An asteroid is headed toward Earth, and will totally destroy life on the planet.

Fox headline:

World to End Tomorrow: Experts Blame Obama's NASA Budget Cuts.

NPR headline:

World to End Tomorrow: Women and Minorities Hardest Hit

Wall Street Journal Headline:

World to End Tomorrow: Markets to Close Early

An asteroid is headed toward Earth, and will totally destroy life on the planet.

Fox headline:

World to End Tomorrow: Experts Blame Obama's NASA Budget Cuts.

NPR headline:

World to End Tomorrow: Women and Minorities Hardest Hit

Wall Street Journal Headline:

World to End Tomorrow: Markets to Close Early

:ols:

And where did you find that picture of Vince Lombardi?

By it's very nature, public radio and television lean left: they are partially state funded and partially funded through donations. I can't help but think back to the Keatons on Family Ties when thinking of the quintessential PBS employee. It is probably not fair, but the stereotype is based at least somewhat in fact.

:ols:

And where did you find that picture of Vince Lombardi?

Google search. I just finished reading "When Pride Still Mattered", David Marannis' excellent biography of Lombardi. Lombardi was a tough but undersized guard at Fordham Univeristy in the 1930's in NYC, one of Fordham's fabled Seven Blocks of Granite, the name given to the team's offensive line.

By it's very nature, public radio and television lean left: they are partially state funded and partially funded through donations. I can't help but think back to the Keatons on Family Ties when thinking of the quintessential PBS employee. It is probably not fair, but the stereotype is based at least somewhat in fact.

except Alex P Keaton of course.

Damn, this is taking a while. If the only bias cited is that our tax dollars pay for its operation, then maybe I should listen more often.

EDIT:

I decided to get some support from google:

http://dailycaller.com/2010/10/21/npr-has-history-of-being-accused-of-liberal-bias/

The "Learn to speak tea bag" story sounds like it could be biased. Doesn't sound like a news story, but an opinion piece though.

http://www.urbin.net/EWW/polyticks/nra-npr.html

This guy also makes some points, though I only skimmed the article.

Damn, this is taking a while. If the only bias cited is that our tax dollars pay for its operation, then maybe I should listen more often.

EDIT:

I decided to get some support from google:

http://dailycaller.com/2010/10/21/npr-has-history-of-being-accused-of-liberal-bias/

The "Learn to speak tea bag" story sounds like it could be biased. Doesn't sound like a news story, but an opinion piece though.

Yeah, so far there doesn't seem to be a lot of "there" there. The only specific culprit mentioned so far is "Wait! Wait! Don't Tell Me!" a comedy/news gameshow and Prairie Home Companion. Prairie Home is an interesting choice because whenever I've ever listened my first thought is Mayberry... and certainly that small time Americana is often more associated with Conservatives than Liberals, but I can still buy that the morals of the stories might have a liberal bent. Wait! Wait! I haven't listened to that much, but I think you may be right that the host tends to tweak more liberally against the right. Though they do come up with the craziest news stories.

Yeah, so far there doesn't seem to be a lot of "there" there. The only specific culprit mentioned so far is "Wait! Wait! Don't Tell Me!" a comedy/news gameshow and Prairie Home Companion. Prairie Home is an interesting choice because whenever I've ever listened my first thought is Mayberry... and certainly that small time Americana is often more associated with Conservatives than Liberals, but I can still buy that the morals of the stories might have a liberal bent. Wait! Wait! I haven't listened to that much, but I think you may be right that the host tends to tweak more liberally against the right. Though they do come up with the craziest news stories.

Garrison Keillor usually isn't bashful about his political leanings. I started listening to the show during the Bush II administration and he'd let W have it damn near every week. The tone of the show is more what you'd expect from a "conservative" themed show, but the audience and it's host is pretty liberal.

I still enjoy it, though.

Garrison Keillor usually isn't bashful about his political leanings. I started listening to the show during the Bush II administration and he'd let W have it damn near every week. The tone of the show is more what you'd expect from a "conservative" themed show, but the audience and it's host is pretty liberal.

I still enjoy it, though.

Fair enough. I used to listen to it when I was in a mellow mood, but it's a blue moon kinda show for me these days. I do know some people who know him and really don't like him. They say he's a very arrogant and controlling fellow. I certainly can buy that it's a show with a definite point of view.

Fair enough. I used to listen to it when I was in a mellow mood, but it's a blue moon kinda show for me these days. I do know some people who know him and really don't like him. They say he's a very arrogant and controlling fellow. I certainly can buy that it's a show with a definite point of view.

I like it because it's kind of a window into days pre-television. I like that kind of radio, even though there isn't much of an audience for it.

But, yea, Keillor does come off kind of snobbish (though I do like his sense of humor) and I can see why people would hate his show.

---------- Post added February-16th-2011 at 02:06 PM ----------

I often listen to the Diane Rehm show when I'm in the car. That is certainly a left leaning host and a left leaning program.

Oh, yeah, totally. Rehm is very left leaning. I don't really listen to her to often.

Kind of like asking why Hollywood leans left.(because artists/actors generally lean left)

Anything "public" will probably lean left. And I assume that both NPR and PBS are funded primarily by left wing sources or sources that tend to lean left. (at least I know the funding isn't coming from right wing sources)

Personally I listen to NPR all the time but not really for the news. They do cool interviews with interesting people and there are less commercials.

Anything "public" will probably lean left. Personally I listen to NPR all the time but not really for the news. They do cool interviews with interesting people and there are less commercials.

So, you're saying the "public" leans left? I thought this was a right-center country? :halo:

Kind of like asking why Hollywood leans left.(because artists/actors generally lean left)

Anything "public" will probably lean left. And I assume that both NPR and PBS are funded primarily by left wing sources or sources that tend to lean left. (at least I know the funding isn't coming from right wing sources)

Personally I listen to NPR all the time but not really for the news. They do cool interviews with interesting people and there are less commercials.

I have heard a lot of shows with the fuiding brought to you by the Lewin Group. I interned there after college, and I never got the left lean from that group. Their numbers are often quoted by those trying to say why the health care over haul was a bad idea.

One could argue that if left to only free market devices, we might not ever get impartial reporting (see Fox and MSNBC).

I think the free market would actually be more of a prevention of that than a cause. In a free market, people are able to decide if their news is to the level of impartiality they desire and if they do not belive it is, they can choose another.

I've listened to "Wait! Wait! Don't Tell Me!" a few times (though I don't remember citing it. maybe it's mentioned somewhere in my links). Yeah, it definitely has a liberal bias but nothing about it says to me that it's trying to indoctrinate people like conservative talk shows do. It's not a show that takes itself too seriously, or is mean-spirited. What I don't like is when a show presents itself as unbiased news and then obviously and purposely misrepresents a story (such as the Fox News/Glenn Beck rally coverage or the woman in a canoe as people walk through the water just a few feet behind her).

As a Viet-Nam veteran, I remember the thirteen part series on the Viet-Nam war. This series won an award: it was named "Film of the Year" by the newspaper Quan Doi Nhan Dan. This is the newspaper of the enemy North Viet-Namese Army, in case you wonder whether the series was biased. When Accuracy in Media produced a series to set the record straight, they were resisted at every turn by public broadcasting. Many news organizations, which cherish their reputations for honest reporting, would hesitate to be so one sided. But public broadcasting is unique. It is funded, and protected, by the government. It serves a peculiar audience which does not seem to place a high premium on literal accuracy in news reporting.

This is from the second link I posted. Sounds pretty bad to me.

Archived