Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MSNBC: Census shows more blacks moving South

Teller

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41606015/ns/us_news-life/

WASHINGTON — The nation's blacks are leaving big cities in the Northeast and Midwest at the highest levels in decades' date=' returning to fast-growing states in the once-segregated South in search of better job opportunities and quality of life. The Southern U.S. region — primarily metropolitan areas such as Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Miami and Charlotte, N.C. — accounted for roughly 75 percent of the population gains among blacks since 2000, up from 65 percent in the 1990s, according to the latest census estimates. The gains came primarily at the expense of Northern metro areas such as New York and Chicago, which posted their first declines in black population since at least 1980.[/quote']

Well, this certainly seems to go against the notion held by some that northern cities are epicenters of progressivism and tolerance, while the south is full of racist hillbillies. :stir:

This isn't surprising especially as it pertains to Atlanta.

Atlanta has been known as the unofficial capital of "Black America" for years now.

Thats not the only thing Atlanta is known for.

Places like Chicago and Detroit are big union cities in pro union States with high taxes, most businesses with any sense will move to places that are friendlier to the job creators

Being a Right to Work state might have something to do with it

* Alabama

* Arizona

* Arkansas

* Florida

* Georgia

* Idaho

* Iowa

* Kansas

* Louisiana

* Mississippi

* Nebraska

* Nevada

* North Carolina

* North Dakota

* Oklahoma

* South Carolina

* South Dakota

* Tennessee

* Texas

* Utah

* Virginia

* Wyoming

http://jobsearchtech.about.com/od/laborlaws/a/right_to_work_2.htm

Places like Chicago and Detroit are big union cities in pro union States with high taxes, most businesses with any sense will move to places that are friendlier to the job creators

And what pray tell, would you know about what motivates Black people?

I haven't got to do this for awhile. :)

(in honor of Garrett Morris)

<sung> :D

Gonna get me a shotgun and shoot all the whiteys I see

If I shoot all the whiteys I see

Then whitey he won't bother me

:pfft:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41606015/ns/us_news-life/

Well, this certainly seems to go against the notion held by some that northern cities are epicenters of progressivism and tolerance, while the south is full of racist hillbillies. :stir:

But guess what? The reversing of the great migration along with the southward migration of hordes of non-Black northerners will eventually dilute those much beloved bastions of red state nonsense down south. It may take another decade or so, but it will happen. Heck, we almost managed to get Sunday alcohol sales through the legislature down here before the fundies made a few calls at the last minute.

Just think about that while you're giggling about notions being exploded and all. :)

Isnt it simply "people" who are moving south in greater numbers and that some of those people are also Black? trouble seeing how this is a race thing rather than an opportunity thing (or even a weather thing!)

The media likes to keep Americans divided. Everything is always about race.

But guess what? The reversing of the great migration along with the southward migration of hordes of non-Black northerners will eventually dilute those much beloved bastions of red state nonsense down south. It may take another decade or so, but it will happen. Heck, we almost managed to get Sunday alcohol sales through the legislature down here before the fundies made a few calls at the last minute.

Just think about that while you're giggling about notions being exploded and all. :)

I would rethink that idea. I've ran across a few carpet-baggers and the reason they moved down South is to escape the taxes, high cost of living and corrupt politicians. The ones I personally spoke to wouldn't change a thing. Why turn the South into the place they just left? Keep dreaming though.

Isnt it simply "people" who are moving south in greater numbers and that some of those people are also Black? trouble seeing how this is a race thing rather than an opportunity thing (or even a weather thing!)

<<applause>> bravo.

Idiologues are always a hoot! but... I imagine if you could take EVERY factor that every idiologue on either side of teh political spectrum holds out and put ALL of thiose factors added together on one side of a scale... and then put "the viability/cost/every day usage of airconditioning" on the other side--- that air conditioning would win out in a second.

with AC and better diesease control the south is simply a much more attractive option than it used to be (a generation or 2 ago) but there is alot of inertia in migration patterns.

I would rethink that idea. I've ran across a few carpet-baggers and the reason they moved down South is to escape the taxes, high cost of living and corrupt politicians. The ones I personally spoke to wouldn't change a thing. Why turn the South into the place they just left? Keep dreaming though.

Yes, it would be a shame if corrupt politicians suddenly came to the South :ols::ols::ols:

And what pray tell, would you know about what motivates Black people?

Lol, never make assumptions about people based on their posting history. :ols:

You don't say :ols: Maybe the reason why they moved down South was possibly a niche they discovered, and wanted to dominate that market in the South. If you have a successful business, I don't think cost of living would be a deal breaker. Politicians are corrupt everywhere.

I was born in DC, raised in MD. I've lived most of my life in the south (VA, FL, TN, SC) and I love it when all southerners are branded as toothless, bib-overall wearing, shotgun toting, rebel flag in the back window, hillbillies. Be for real. Not saying they don't exist, but most of the population here is not that way. Way to generalize.

I was born in DC, raised in MD. I've lived most of my life in the south (VA, FL, TN, SC) and I love it when all southerners are branded as toothless, bib-overall wearing, shotgun toting, rebel flag in the back window, hillbillies. Be for real. Not saying they don't exist, but most of the population here is not that way. Way to generalize.

I lived in Columbia, SC for about 2 years from '07 - '09. Loved it there. I agree that most folks don't fit the stereotype.

Archived