Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Return of the King: Ken Jennings back on Jeopardy to face a computer

skinfan2k

I was kind of disappointed that Watson had the questions sent to it in a text file. I don't know if it's given the moment the clue is revealed or after a certain part has been read aloud. If it's the moment they can see the clue, that would be very unfair too, because of course a computer can "read" faster than a human can read or hear the clue. That wouldn't really prove anything.

I want it to be somehow assured that the humans could conceivably comprehend the question before the computer is allowed to start formulating an answer.

The ringing in from Watson was unreal. The clues tonight were relatively simple (I knew most of them) So I'm sure the guys knew most of them too. The problem was even if I, or they (presumably) knew the answer, Watson smoked everybody buzzing in. I think Ken tried to overcome this by buzing way early, but ended up not really sure of the answer a few times.

The ringing in from Watson was unreal. The clues tonight were relatively simple (I knew most of them) So I'm sure the guys knew most of them too. The problem was even if I, or they (presumably) knew the answer, Watson smoked everybody buzzing in. I think Ken tried to overcome this by buzing way early, but ended up not really sure of the answer a few times.

Yeah, and if you ring in too early on Jeopardy, you're locked out from that clue. Watson has the hot hand right now, for sure.

This is on through wed? Alex said double and final jeopardy tomorrow, what happens wed?

It's a 2 day tournament covering 3 days. Today they did regular Jeopardy while giving a lot of background info on Watson. Tomorrow they'll do double/final Jeopardy with a little more info sprinkled in, and then wednesday is like a regular episode.

what channel and what time is this on?

Depends. I know Jeopardy comes on at 7:30 on WJLA (unless it's changed since I've left). I'm not sure about the Twin Cities, though. If you go on the Jeopardy website, they should have a list of stations where Jeopardy airs.

---------- Post added February-14th-2011 at 08:33 PM ----------

I would smoke Jennings.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfIJUTEJgfYVbz-TcoEVbGXUROy-JpvMUj0Uo_X7lWMBGOsgD_SA

Thought this was worth reusing.

Depends. I know Jeopardy comes on at 7:30 on WJLA (unless it's changed since I've left). I'm not sure about the Twin Cities, though. If you go on the Jeopardy website, they should have a list of stations where Jeopardy airs.

Yeah I checked their website. It comes on here at 4:30. Didn't know it was that early.

Yeah, and if you ring in too early on Jeopardy, you're locked out from that clue. Watson has the hot hand right now, for sure.

Ordinarily, you can't ring in until Trebek finishes reading the clue. So to make it fair they would have to time the sending of the text mesage to Watson so it's received right when the clue is finished being read by Trebek. Also, they said that Watson has to reach an internal "confidence level" before he rings in. They were showing that threshold - it was the white vertical line across Watson's three best guesses that they would flash on the screen.

Lol at the robot reiterating what Ken said

WHAT ARE THE 20'S

That was a little surprising at first.. that they couldn't build in some kind of instant learning mechanism for competitors' wrong answers. But thinking of the logistics of that, I'm not sure how they could have done it. Maybe in Watson,Jr.

Archived