Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft Scenarios

cchhdd25

So with the draft approaching, and without a CBA, our skins only have two picks in the top 120. I wanted to put a few scenarios together and see which combination of players this board would like drafted.

Round 1

Cam Newton

Marcell Darius

Phil Taylor

Julio Jones

Anthony Castonzo

Prince Amukamara

Round 2

Rodney Hudson

Greg Jones

Marvin Austin

Christian Ponder

Leonard Hankerson

Jimmy Smith

I would like to note that these are not random groupings. I feel each round gives an option for a quality player at a position of need. Assume the player is there upon your pick. Yes some of these guys will go before our Round 1 or Round 2 pick but for the sake of argument lets say your guys is there for your pick.

I know the draft depends on a lot of factors. Let me lay out my baseline for these scenarios:

* No CBA is reached, you have to draft before knowing which free agents we would sign. Please do not turn this into a .. well if we sign Vincent Jackson and Davin Joseph and Lamar Woodley and Logan Mankins type thread

* McNabb is still on the team. He is given the opportunity to compete with Rex Grossman to start in lieu of no CBA being reached

* Haynesworth on the other hand, is not. We have Anthony Bryant at NT. Carriker and Daniels / Jarmon / Holliday at DE.

* Even though there is no CBA, assume that Santana, McIntosh and Rogers will be gone by the time the season (eventually) starts.

* With no CBA draft day trades are possible, but only with picks. Due to this lets say we cannot find a partner to trade down with.

Have at it folks

Well for starters...CBA or no CBA...I can't see any reason Santana will be gone. Nothing says because there's no CBA he's not allowed to re-sign with his current team. So I'm taking it as he is still here.

At this point, if McNabb stays then I am seriously intreagued by the thought of him mentoring Cam Newton. I have seen all the "Cam is a bust" posts around here, but let me point out 1 simple fact...

Cam Newton WAS the Offense for Auburn this year. He put up gi-normous numbers against some of the best D's in all of college football, and he did it all the while everyone game planned specifically for him. Each week the D coordinators game planned for Cam Newton and only Cam Newton...and these aren't Big East defenses...he went undefeated against SEC defenses in his 1 year with Auburn. Love or Hate the SEC...respect the fact that the conference puts most of the big uglies into the NFL.

The reason I'd want Cam mentored by Donovan is because of how Donovan has always approached the game with respect and class. He inspired not-so-talented teams to win in the past and I know everyone on here has seen him multiple times when he was younger run and throw all over our beloved Skins while he was an Eagle. Cam is far more physically gifted than Donovan, and I honestly believe having someone like Donovan there in his first year in the league would make for a very smooth transition to NFL life and how to approach the game.

All that being said, I would still like to get another big body on the Dline and another WR to finally give us a #1...so Phil Taylor and Julio Jones would be more than welcome too in the 1st. There's a 99% chance Prince will be long gone and Marcell Dareus too so I can't even pretend that their names are there.

As for round 2, Jimmy Smith is almost a complete lock to go between picks 20-30 so there's a chance of very little to none that he'll even get close enough to breathe on the 2nd round. If we went Cam in the 1st, then I'd like to get Hankerson or Rodney Hudson in the 2nd. Drafting Cam would elminate Ponder, Greg Jones has not impressed the past couple months with his sloppy play, serious lack of attention to detail and overall confused look he keeps projecting. Marvin Austin has had repeated character issues and I know the knock on Cam about that too, but he was never found to have any knowledge of what his father did so until something different were to shed light on it everybody should probably shut up about it.

I do think you left a few plausible names off of your lists though...round 1 should also include Von Miller, Locker, Cameron Jordan...and round 2 should include Jake Kirkpatrick, and Ryan Williams amongst others.

In an ideal world we'd have 4 picks in the top 60, get Von Miller, Phil Taylor, Wisniewski or Kirkpatrick at OC, and Ryan Williams...and then pull the Andrew Luck card next year...but we are definitely no where near an ideal world.

And then pull the Andrew Luck card next year. That is FUNNY. The Redskins are not going to have the 1st pick in the Draft so that isnt going to happen. He will go #1 overall and the only hopes we would have on getting him is if every team drafting before us doesnt need a QB. I dont know what moves the Skins are going to make in the draft and freeagency but Im pretty sure we will at least be middle of the pack at 7-9 or 8-8. Shanny is a great coach and he will make sure we get better each season!

Given your scenario, I'd go Newton then Hankerson -- or Jones then Ponder. I can't see us waiting until the 5th round for a wide receiver. We need someone to become our #1 receiver ... ASAP, and after the 3rd round, the talent may very good, but only for a #2 receiver. I have more doubts about differentiating the QB talent. I'm still intrigued by Dalton, Kaepernick, Devlin, McElroy etc. One or more of them could be available in the 5th. And one of them could be as good as anyone now seen to be in the top tier (Gabbert, Newton, Locker,and even Ponder). So I might see trying to snag Von Miller or Robert Quinn (whose absences on your list must be an oversight) at one of our top positions of need (OLB) then Hankerson. I'm counting on Barnes stepping into Rogers slot if needed, and Riley stepping into McIntosh's spot. In the late rounds, I think some decent talent will be available at NT, OL, and FS.

Round 1

Cam Newton - No, I don't think he's the best QB for Kyle's offense.

Marcell Darius - Yes, good 3:4 DE for our scheme. Talent matches pick level.

Phil Taylor - We need a NT but I wouldn't pick him this high.

Julio Jones - I'd love to get a good WR but I chose DE over WR.

Anthony Castonzo - Pick 10 is too high for this OT. He's supposed to be rated as 2nd round talent. In the OP's scenario we appear to keep Jamaal Brown.

Prince Amukamara - It's time for the young CBs to step up and take over Rogers position. A new CB would be nice but the DLine was a sieve and got little pressure. Priority is the Dline over CB.

Round 2

Rodney Hudson - Possible, he's light even for a zone Guard and has had injuries to his knees.

Greg Jones - No, he's supposed to be a good fit for the 4:3 system.

Marvin Austin - I'd rather not take another DT/DE given my first pick

Christian Ponder - accurate QB probably best suited to the WCO. Questions on the long-ball that Shanny also likes to throw. If his shoulder checks out he's a possibility.

Leonard Hankerson - I'm not a real fan of long-striders.

Jimmy Smith - if he's really here at the early part of round 2 then I'd go with this CB.

Given your scenario, I'd go Newton then Hankerson -- or Jones then Ponder. I can't see us waiting until the 5th round for a wide receiver. We need someone to become our #1 receiver ... ASAP, and after the 3rd round, the talent may very good, but only for a #2 receiver. I have more doubts about differentiating the QB talent. I'm still intrigued by Dalton, Kaepernick, Devlin, McElroy etc. One or more of them could be available in the 5th. And one of them could be as good as anyone now seen to be in the top tier (Gabbert, Newton, Locker,and even Ponder). So I might see trying to snag Von Miller or Robert Quinn (whose absences on your list must be an oversight) at one of our top positions of need (OLB) then Hankerson. I'm counting on Barnes stepping into Rogers slot if needed, and Riley stepping into McIntosh's spot. In the late rounds, I think some decent talent will be available at NT, OL, and FS.

I agree with the Von Miller idea. It would be a scenario unlikely to happen because he is the best defensive player IMO in the draft and we would be dumb not to pick him if he falls to us. If he does it would be gravy and it would be just like when Orakpo fell to us a few years ago.

Archived