Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

One Issue Only

SnyderShrugged

If you were only able to choose your president based on one issue and one issue only (meaning you are not allowed to know anything else about them before you vote), what would that issue be?

For me, I would have to choose the National Debt because its connected to so many sub-issues that are important to me. Also because I believe we are facing a real crisis of epic proportions if left unaddressed with material difficult decisions

Gridlock, i guess.

i think one of our largest obstacles seems to me to be the unwillingness to compromise or even listen in many cases. Thhere's very little give and take.. it's mostly all take or dig in your heels and give nothing.

I'm tired of a dysfunctional government, and I'm tired of a cannibalistic government that will actively work against itself and the good of the country to solidify ideological power.

If we could ease that, we'd find it easier to find solutions to our problems, i believe. Someone truly needs to bridge the gap between the right and the left.

~Bang

Hey if I only get one issue I'm using a broad one;)

narrowing it down somewhat

As CIC and the man(or woman eventually) with his finger on the button, their views on national security and use of force are critical to me.....No other single person in the world has that level of discretion

Hey if I only get one issue I'm using a broad one;)

narrowing it down somewhat

As CIC and the man(or woman eventually) with his finger on the button, their views on national security and use of force are critical to me.....No other single person in the world has that level of discretion

But what "views" for that person?

---------- Post added February-12th-2011 at 11:04 AM ----------

Gridlock, i guess.

i think one of our largest obstacles seems to me to be the unwillingness to compromise or even listen in many cases. Thhere's very little give and take.. it's mostly all take or dig in your heels and give nothing.

I'm tired of a dysfunctional government, and I'm tired of a cannibalistic government that will actively work against itself and the good of the country to solidify ideological power.

If we could ease that, we'd find it easier to find solutions to our problems, i believe. Someone truly needs to bridge the gap between the right and the left.

~Bang

Is it the removal of Gridlock completely? I ask, because depending on your perspective, you may be upset if some things dont have some gridlock and just get passed without debate.

I suppose the judicious use of force would be too broad for you?

If ya keep narrowing it down it comes down to someone I trust with my life and the lives of those I love..

Someone to not only protect,but also not to endanger the US

I suppose the judicious use of force would be too broad for you?

If ya keep narrowing it down it comes down to someone I trust with my life and the lives of those I love..

Someone to not only protect,but also not to endanger the US

Judicious use of force sounds like you mean pre-emptive foreign intervention. Would that be a fair way to frame it? I want to clarify "judicious" if possible.

---------- Post added February-12th-2011 at 11:04 AM ----------

Is it the removal of Gridlock completely? I ask, because depending on your perspective, you may be upset if some things dont have some gridlock and just get passed without debate.

Well, no, not that. Obviously there should be debate on practically anything that comes up. Debate is great.

How about this,, a willingness to listen and apply good ideas regardless of which side came up with them. Play fair, like adults should.

I'm not sure I'm answering your opening question properly to begin with. This is an issue, but not really an "issue", is it?

~Bang

Well, no, not that. Obviously there should be debate on practically anything that comes up. Debate is great.

How about this,, a willingness to listen and apply good ideas regardless of which side came up with them. Play fair, like adults should.

I'm not sure I'm answering your opening question properly to begin with. This is an issue, but not really an "issue", is it?

~Bang

I think that the original "gridlock" could qualify as an "issue" but I'm not sure how to measure the play fair part.

I certainly endorse justified pre-emptive intervention.

as a example I believe attacking Iraq was needed and we should have been more pre-emptive against AQ

However if we had made better choices earlier it might not have been.,which goes back to foreign policy:)

That's a tough one, SnyderShrugged.

I would say "dissolving the IRS," but I honestly don't know nearly enough about it's inner workings to say if that's even a good thing. It would be awesome to not pay income taxes anymore (and I think, on principal, it isn't right to take people's hard earned money , but I don't want to come off as an uneducated fool.

Hmm...I'll have to give this more thought.

I certainly endorse justified pre-emptive intervention.

as a example I believe attacking Iraq was needed and we should have been more pre-emptive against AQ

However if we had made better choices earlier it might not have been.,which goes back to foreign policy:)

Yeah, it still seems way too broad to me. I dont think "foreign policy" in the grand scene can be considered a single issue (though to be fair, maybe I could say the same about my national debt choice too, now that I think about it)

Could we agree that you probably support an interventionist foreign policy and would vote for the candidate that does too?

---------- Post added February-12th-2011 at 11:48 AM ----------

That's a tough one, SnyderShrugged.

I would say "dissolving the IRS," but I honestly don't know nearly enough about it's inner workings to say if that's even a good thing. It would be awesome to not pay income taxes anymore (and I think, on principal, it isn't right to take people's hard earned money , but I don't want to come off as an uneducated fool.

Hmm...I'll have to give this more thought.

Awesome! That deeper thinking for all of us is what I had hoped to accomplish with the thread. It seems to be working too! (it even made me get deeper too just now)

Yes, unless we change our present reality(which would be a neat trick)

Our financial condition changed our present reality a while ago. You guys are the ones who need a journey to the new reality.

But here nor there, I'll put you in the slot for "intervention" under foreign policy.

I better summarize and get clarity though...

If all you knew about candidates was if they advocate going into foreign nations militarily, you would vote for the one that says they would.

---------- Post added February-12th-2011 at 02:01 PM ----------

How about a person who is not defined by one issue, seems to me more problems have come from those who look for a single issue.

I suggest you start that thread and keep this one on the topic I chose.

As I've said around here plenty of times before, I've given up on voting but I will say this. If a candidate comes out and says he/she wants to end the drug war he/she would have my vote. To me, it's an egregious affront to the notion of justice that our country prides itself in and it has to go. Preferably yesterday. Plenty of people will probably assume that means I'm some kind of drug addict who just doesn't want to be bothered with the legal concerns but that's really not it. The consequences of this "war" are much more damaging and much farther reaching than people care to realize or admit simply because it's so easy for them to villify drug users without understanding a thing about them.

As I've said around here plenty of times before, I've given up on voting but I will say this. If a candidate comes out and says he/she wants to end the drug war he/she would have my vote. To me, it's an egregious affront to the notion of justice that our country prides itself in and it has to go. Preferably yesterday. Plenty of people will probably assume that means I'm some kind of drug addict who just doesn't want to be bothered with the legal concerns but that's really not it. The consequences of this "war" are much more damaging and much farther reaching than people care to realize or admit simply because it's so easy for them to villify drug users without understanding a thing about them.

There are definitely candidates, even popular candidates out there that would fit your desire.

Strangely, for a bleeding heart liberal like me if I could only vote on one issue for Pres. it would wind up being defense. Keeping this country secure and strong would be No. 1. Without that, our liberties, economy, and most of the other issues we care so deeply about would be meaningless. No. 2 would probably have to do with research and the environment. I feel that without prevention and proactive work we will find ourselves in a most miserable place and I feel that a lack of entrepeneurship and contentment in the American spirit has led to a decline in our ability to lead and innovate and that's a major reason why economically we are suffering.

Strangely, for a bleeding heart liberal like me if I could only vote on one issue for Pres. it would wind up being defense. Keeping this country secure and strong would be No. 1. Without that, our liberties, economy, and most of the other issues we care so deeply about would be meaningless. No. 2 would probably have to do with research and the environment. I feel that without prevention and proactive work we will find ourselves in a most miserable place and I feel that a lack of entrepeneurship and contentment in the American spirit has led to a decline in our ability to lead and innovate and that's a major reason why economically we are suffering.

I'd imagine Defense would be high on a lot of lists (mine included), though I mean actual Defense rather than pre-emptive offense (You too right?)

Archived