Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Adam Schefter: "CBA has no chance"

pram11

I'm interested to see how this will effect the economy in America if there is zero football this year. It would make some interesting research when America's favorite game is taking a break.

Or maybe not the entire country but places like Green Bay or even Pittsburgh.

I'm interested to see how this will effect the economy in America if there is zero football this year. It would make some interesting research when America's favorite game is taking a break.

Ever since Buffalo lost all those SBs, that place has been one of the fastest declining cities (economically) in the last decade. Pretty sad for those folks.

The lockout would be disastrous on so many levels, I can't even imagine. All I know is that baseball is starting soon and my 'seasonal depression' is setting in... Might flee the country for a few months if this **** really goes down.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6107737

Kimberly Freeman Brown, executive director of American Rights at Work, said the NFL and union are fussing over many of the same issues faced by many workers: pay cuts, longer working hours, workplace safety and health care. She said a lockout would have an impact on 150,000 jobs and cause more than $160 million in lost revenue in every city with an NFL team

Schefter isnt saying the deal isnt going to get done, he is saying as it stands right now, both sides are just grandstanding, and things wont get productive until the last minute (hence take the month off).

Thats how i read it as well, and how I think it will go down. At this point they feel its no rush, but all of the gloom & doom talk is just a build up to the last-minute negotiations. We'll see though.

---------- Post added February-12th-2011 at 08:34 AM ----------

The players will cave in and take what the owners give them. A deal will get done.

Yeah.... No insurance through the summer, 400 plus FAs sitting on thier hands waiting to get paid. There will be alot of pressure on the Union in the coming weeks i think.

Just plain sad. Unfortunate that a lockout might happen and people will lose their jobs.

Going to be interesting as it appears that the owners are giving little and standing firm. I am wondering if the owners will ever provide economic figures like profits and losses to the NFLPA even if it is in confidence.

I can never understand why they can't come into agreement between 8 billion dollars. It's enough money to be spread around.

Also the owners might do what they did in 1987. League won't be locked out, but the current players will. It'll be scabs playing if a deal cannot get done.

It took awhile for MLB to heal after their lockout and it's not even the National Pastime sport anymore. Imagine a lockout in the NFL. Don't think it will happen and a deal basically that was proposed a few years back will be implemented at 11:59 on March 3rd and wel will be doing the same thing again in 2014.

I can never understand why they can't come into agreement between 8 billion dollars. It's enough money to be spread around.

Also the owners might do what they did in 1987. League won't be locked out, but the current players will. It'll be scabs playing if a deal cannot get done.

Yes!!! Still hope for me making the team. I've been working on my cover corner skills. Now to stop smoking, lose weight, and bulk up my chicken legs.

The loss of revenue for everything will be astronomical. Everything from the owners to merchandise, ticket prices, Fox/CBS/NFL Network will lose extreme amounts of cash. I might be in the minority, but I think this thought is sitting in the back of everyone's mind. The NFL is one of the best things America has ever seen. Without the Redskins, I have alot of blank spaces in my life. I'm from NE PA, I travel to every skins home game every year unless mother nature is going to drop 10+ inches of snow. There are millions of people who do the same thing I do every Sunday. A CBA will get done, but it will pushed to the last minute until it gets done. I just have to believe the big shots know in the back of there mind that this could potentially ruin the NFL Sport.

Just plain sad. Unfortunate that a lockout might happen and people will lose their jobs.

Going to be interesting as it appears that the owners are giving little and standing firm. I am wondering if the owners will ever provide economic figures like profits and losses to the NFLPA even if it is in confidence.

the numbers are staggering....

According to American Rights at Work – which co-hosted the panel with the NFLPA – studies show that “each host community will face a reduction in economic activity of approximately $160 million if the NFL owners force a lockout” as well as affecting 150,000 jobs nationwide.

I mean, they have to get something done. I don't say this as someone who's desperate to have pro football (I'm content with post season baseball, college football, and early season college basketball to fill the void in my autumn), but I say this as a bystander who knows that the owners and players are sitting on a gold mine. They have one of the biggest money makers in the world. They'd be fools to let it spoil like this.

Also, it would be extremely sad to see all those people who have nothing to do with the negotiations lose their jobs.

But, hey, it's their loss. Just means more time and money I can spend on my Pirates.

Am I the only fan who thinks there is a chair missing from these "negotiations"? . . . OURS! This is ridiculous. WE pay for ALL of this. WE drive this league. WE make this things run. I am so sick of the Hollywood/celebrity attitude that we, the people are powerless in all of this. Whether it is some absurd celebrity telling us that we should donate to a disaster as if we get our entire moral compass from a bunch of spoiled babies who believe their own hype machine to these NFL players and owners taking away OUR game while we just sit there and watch and complain, I am sick of it.

In the information age we are in coordinating a "fan strike" wouldn't be nearly as difficult to do as even 5 years ago. We could bring these two parties to THEIR freakin knees with our own deadline - work this out by March 4th or WE will strike the 2011 season. Empty stadiums. Jersey's hanging on racks in stores. Nothing. We won't do a damn thing to support you selfish clowns. WE run this. Maybe Egypt just inspired me but this annoys the crap out of me. These gazillionaires fighting in front of us and WE are the ones who are getting screwed. And they have their machine plugging along like Shefter telling us to brace ourselves for these babies not working this out. Screw them!

I am as die hard as they come about the NFL so I get the sentiment of "fans will always come back to football". But, if we had any organizational capacity (ie a fans union) WE would be more powerful than BOTH of these parties. Not to mention we may be able to start dealing with crap like $10 beers, fans getting screwed at the superbowl after they purchased tickets, etc.

These people are ****ing about how they are treating EACH other! Are you kidding me? You want to know who you are mis-treating? US? Man, I am hot. I would love to talk to the reps from both sides of this THREE sided issue. I love how we are essentially an afterthought in all of this. If we got our crap together and unified to address these two parties, they'd be petrified of what WE could to do them. Its hysterical. We are by far the most powerful party in this equation yet they don't even have the decency to consider us a party.

If this happens: Redskins are guaranteed champions for 2011-2012. :D

Exactly. The owners can simply have replacement players play games. They will be young, hungry guys, eager to prove they belong in the NFL, and folks will watch.

The owners hold all the cards in this. They can go a year without football. The players (most players anyway) can't. As noted above, there are hundreds of guys this year who are free agents who, as of March 3rd, have no contract. With a lockout, contracts cannot be negotiated. They will be in limbo with no one obligated to pay them money, benefits, or anything.

It'll be players who blink first in this. They'll have no choice but to.

Archived