Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's trade up and get AJ Green. Poll included.

HRNY4ZRNY

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

MOD's feel free to delete of merge.

The only thread I found on this has Tyrod Taylor attached to the discussion and kind of ruins the thread.

I feel we need a #1 receiver desperately. Julio Jones reminds me of Roddy White and AJ Green reminds me of Megatron.

I want our version of Calvin Johnson. Check out his highlights here.

Here is my trade scenario. We want the Bengals pick if AJ Green is still on the board. So we swap first round picks. We give them Haynesworth and Andre Carter to sweeten the pot (The Bengals take in castoffs and misfits all the time. Haynesworth fits here). We also give them our 2nd round pick next year.

If they dont accept this trade I would throw in our 4th we got for Jason Campbell.

This of course goes against the philosophy of not trading away draft picks but AJ Green could be a top 5 receiver a few years into his career.

If Moss leaves we have a gaping hole at receiver. We can still draft a DL or OL with our 2nd pick.

All we would really be giving away is a 2nd and 4th. Haynesworth and Carter are expendable.

Also, how can you resist having another Redskins with the last name of Green. We could have 2 Green's in the hall of fame.

MOD's feel free to delete of merge.

The only thread I found on this has Tyrod Taylor attached to the discussion and kind of ruins the thread.

I feel we need a #1 receiver desperately. Julio Jones reminds me of Roddy White and AJ Green reminds me of Megatron.

I want our version of Calvin Johnson. Check out his highlights here.

Here is my trade scenario. We want the Bengals pick if AJ Green is still on the board. So we swap first round picks. We give them Haynesworth and Andre Carter to sweeten the pot (The Bengals take in castoffs and misfits all the time. Haynesworth fits here). We also give them our 2nd round pick next year.

If they dont accept this trade I would throw in our 4th we got for Jason Campbell.

This of course goes against the philosophy of not trading away draft picks but AJ Green could be a top 5 receiver a few years into his career.

If Moss leaves we have a gaping hole at receiver. We can still draft a DL or OL with our 2nd pick.

All we would really be giving away is a 2nd and 4th. Haynesworth and Carter are expendable.

Also, how can you resist having another Redskins with the last name of Green. We could have 2 Green's in the hall of fame.

the only problem with the Campbell pick is it is for a 5th rounder not a 4th.....and I don't see the Bengals giving us that trade....they will be more likely to take AJ Green....losing TO probably and Chad Johnson is going into his final year of his contract....so I don't see them being willing to trade picks.

I'd rather have a Roddy White (Julio Jones) and all of the other picks for other players, instead of having AJ Green. We just can't afford that luxury and Jones is going to be a solid player, if we decide to go WR. I don't think we end up with either player, but we are not good enough to mortgage all of these picks. I'd be fine if it were just swapping positions and giving up Haynesworth and Carter, but that certainly won't be the case. Further, depending on the CBA (and it's nearly impossible to guess what will happen down the road), there will be plenty of good WR's available in the upcoming years via FA.

AJ Green and Anthony Armstrong as our deep receivers.

Santana Moss in the slot. (If he resigns.)

Malcom Kelly (hopefully healthy) and Terrance Austin

We would be losing Roydell Williams who didn't do anything for a player that could potentially be the best player on our team. Sounds like an outstanding upgrade to me.

---------- Post added February-10th-2011 at 11:59 AM ----------

The question is if Calvin Johnson was there at 4 would you make this trade? I think we all would.

AJ Green is the closest thing I've seen to a tall receiver who is deadly fact with great hands and all the things you want in a receiver.

AJ Green and Anthony Armstrong as our deep receivers.

Santana Moss in the slot. (If he resigns.)

Malcom Kelly (hopefully healthy) and Terrance Austin

We would be losing Roydell Williams who didn't do anything for a player that could potentially be the best player on our team. Sounds like an outstanding upgrade to me.

All very true. This is absolutely an upgrade. But, at what cost does it come? We aren't exactly one stud WR away from being truly consistently competitive. Further, I think you could easily plug Jones in there for a lesser cost and the drop-off would not be that significant.

No.

We have too many needs to be trading up for anyone. There's plenty of talent to be had where we are.

If we do want a legit #1 WR and intend to target one in the first, like you already said Julio Jones is going to be a ****ing stud in this league. There's no point in trading away other assets that can be used to improve our weaknesses elsewhere when we are solving the same problem with either Green or Julio, 1a 1b.

Julio is 6-4 220, great hands + speed, solid route running, can run block like a champ and makes game changing highlight plays everyday, he literally catches touchdowns for breakfast with his eyes closed. He's everything we would ever dream of in a #1 WR, there's no excuse to trade up for Green when we have a legit shot at Julio at 10.

That being said, I hope we address WR in FA and bring in Sidney Rice + Jacoby Jones because our defense could really use that first pick establishing our new 3-4 scheme.

No. In fact, hell no. If you want a legit #1 you don't have to trade up for, pick up Sidney Rice in FA. At 24, he's only 2 years older than Green, and will be in his 4th NFL season, including having already made it as far as the NFCCG in '09. I don't want to trade picks to move up for a position where we can get a young guy in FA.

No more wasting picks. Carter has a no trade clause that he'd have to waive. We need more picks, not less. I think we got a 4th for Jason, not a 5th. If Green is 1A and Jones is 1B, what's the difference? I'd take Jones at 10 if he's available, but if neither is, go defense at 10 or try and trade down. I'd love for NE to really want Mark Ingram and trade us their 17 and 33 picks. We'd have 17, 33 and 42.

Why do people think Haynesworth and Carter have value? The best offer we got for Haynesworth was a 4th rounder, now nobody will give up anything for him. We couldn't trade Carter last offseason when he was coming off a 10+ sack season, why would any team give up anything for him now? In order to move up from 10 to 4 we'd have to give up a lot more. It wouldn't be worth it, even if AJ Green is the next great WR.

the only problem with the Campbell pick is it is for a 5th rounder not a 4th.....and I don't see the Bengals giving us that trade....they will be more likely to take AJ Green....losing TO probably and Chad Johnson is going into his final year of his contract....so I don't see them being willing to trade picks.

Luckily for us, it is in fact a 4th rounder. The Raiders gave us a 2012 4th rounder for Campbell.

I do think they lose Ocho Cinco and TO in FA. But it's not like they don't have some offensive weapons without them. Shipley and Gresham are solid. Of course, passing up somebody like AJ Green feels foolish. But we also have to see who else leaves their team in FA. They need pass rushing help and could use another big body on the d-line.

Absolutely not. I'm in favor of getting Sidney Rice in FA, and building the lines in the draft (as well as FA, to an extent), unless you believe that your franchise QB is there.

If you're really set on a WR, then Jones is a great consolation prize at #10. In fact, I like him a little more than AJ Green anyways. Its like Randy Moss vs. T.O. (but both without the issues)...why would you give up other impact players/assets to make that small improvement?

To me, if you're dead set on drafting a WR, Jones fits what we need more than AJ Green does anyways. Jones is bulkier, and more physical than Green, and less of an injury threat (not because of past injury history, but because of build). He fights for yards after contact, is a monstrous red-zone threat, and maybe most importantly of all to Shanahan, he's already a vicious blocker.

Basically, he'd be Kyle's new "Andre Johnson". Why waste other assets to move up for someone who might be marginally better (and might not) but might also be less of a scheme fit?

Makes no sense. I voted "NNT this idiot". :)

Will adding a WR like him be a huge help? Yes it would.

However i dont think and i think most would agree its not going to make us a playoff team this or next year. However making smart picks in the 1st and 2nd round the next two year might. So im gonna pass on trading all this up for a WR when we still dont have our QB to throw him the ball. Id be more than happy with sitting at 10 and if someone great drops to us great! If not maybe get Jones or the best NT/LB avail and then still have all our picks next year avail and hopefully our 2nd and maybe a 3rd for Al this year.

I can't believe this thread is not a joke. Alot of us fans don't even deserve a team with the stupid ********* we propose. This is not Madden lol.

We had the LAST RANKED Defense last year, a ZBS O-Line that needs 3 Starters on the interior, no legitimate rushing LB to side with Orakpo, a FS.......and u want to give up 2 ************ draft picks for a WR?????? What are you talking about??? Where is your state of thought right now???

NNT. This is a HORRIBLE idea. I don't care if Calvin Johnson is there, NOOOOOOOOOOOO. We need a ton of players at key positions, not ONE receiver. And I'm not even convinced that Green will be better than Jones at this point.

I'd rather get players at spots like NT, OG, C, OLB, DE, FS, QB, even CB. We need ALL of those. Besides, you say it would be a huge upgrade, and it would, but we could just as easily upgrade by signing guys like James Jones or Jacoby Jones or pretty much anyone in Free Agency this year because our WRs are awful, at least they were last season. Honestly, who WOULDN'T be an upgrade over Joey Galloway and Roydell? Why not just upgrade the position to a 6 or 7 rather than upgrade to a 10 and leave all those over positions at 4/10?

This team has so many holes that trading away picks is simply stupid. The 'skins are going to actually have a lot of salary cap room this year and if they need a 'franchise' WR, there are going to be quite a few very high caliber, young FAs depending on what happens with tags - VJax, Sidney Rice, and Santanio Holmes plus some quality but slightly less talented players like Braylon Edwards.

Atleast 13 people are with me.

Lets look outside the BOX for a second.

We NEED a #1 WR. AJ Green is as close to a sure thing as you get.

Free Agency we can address DL and OL and LB's.

If we lose Moss we are screwed at WR.

Anthony Armstrong would be our #1 receiver. Lets go out and get the BEST WR in the draft.

Atleast 13 people are with me.

Lets look outside the BOX for a second.

We NEED a #1 WR. AJ Green is as close to a sure thing as you get.

Free Agency we can address DL and OL and LB's.

If we lose Moss we are screwed at WR.

Anthony Armstrong would be our #1 receiver. Lets go out and get the BEST WR in the draft.

You still haven't responded to this post, which addresses what you're saying:

Absolutely not. I'm in favor of getting Sidney Rice in FA, and building the lines in the draft (as well as FA, to an extent), unless you believe that your franchise QB is there.

If you're really set on a WR, then Jones is a great consolation prize at #10. In fact, I like him a little more than AJ Green anyways. Its like Randy Moss vs. T.O. (but both without the issues)...why would you give up other impact players/assets to make that small improvement?

To me, if you're dead set on drafting a WR, Jones fits what we need more than AJ Green does anyways. Jones is bulkier, and more physical than Green, and less of an injury threat (not because of past injury history, but because of build). He fights for yards after contact, is a monstrous red-zone threat, and maybe most importantly of all to Shanahan, he's already a vicious blocker.

Basically, he'd be Kyle's new "Andre Johnson". Why waste other assets to move up for someone who might be marginally better (and might not) but might also be less of a scheme fit?

Makes no sense. I voted "NNT this idiot". :)

You still haven't responded to this post, which addresses what you're saying:

Not only that, I suggested Rice, somebody else suggested Jacoby Jones, and a handful of people said they'd be cool with taking Julio Jones at 10. I don't think he read the responses, just looked at the poll. Besides, his logic of "Think outside the box, trade up to get a WR!" is actually the inside-the-box type of thinking that this organization is known for. Nevermind that WR is one of the easiest places to upgrade this year if FA ever hits (as well as O-line), he just wants Green and wants everybody else to get on the bandwagon.

Archived