Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Cam Newton

darrelgreenie

russel was the same thing. athletic mobile QB with huge arm that did well in college.

i wouldnt touch young or tebow with a 10 foot pole, especially young whos proved hes a complete baby. tebow was a rookie so its still unknown, but that whole style of run first QBs just bothers the hell out of me and i dont want a guy like that on the redskins.

i want a pocket passer. i want the next aaron rodgers/phillip rivers type. these spread option run around like idiot QBs can stay away from the redskins as far as im concerned. and i highly doubt kyle or mike, looking at their history with QBs, want a guy like newton to begin with.

No, Russel wasn't. The only comparison you can make between Cam and Russel is that Cam can be like Russel in that he'd bust. Completely different playing styles.

I'm not saying we should draft Newton by any stretch.

But I don't understand the Tebow or Young comparisons.

He throws such a better ball than both of them.

Josh Freeman is a better comparison. Not a great one, but makes more sense.

Freeman is a great example. I only use Tebow because he was Urban's hand picked heir apparent to Timmy and he won.

I use Young because they have similar styles and he won.

Cam Newton, unlike Freeman, won... everything, everytime.

I'm by no means a Newton fan but having watched him I also see nothing in his play that would compare him in playing style to Young or Tebow. He is a much better passer from a mechanics and accuracy perspective than either.

I don't get how you can say he has a piss poor attitude from watching him "pout" at the title game. Dude's won everywhere he's been. Be a dick, but win me a championship I always say...

That was one example my friend, and one good example at that. It shows you just what kind of B.S. your gonna get when he goes through any kind of adversity, and that at the end of the day, he cares more about himself putting up big numbers and shining in the spotlight than winning, he's all about himself, typical NFL prima dona WR type atitude, you think it's bad when TO complains about not getting the ball enough, well what do you think Cam will do when if he get's benched? Will he talk **** to the media, say he's knows more than the coaches, take drugs, get a suicide attempt rumor going... I'm telling you, hes all flash and no dash (to the super bowl that is)

That was one example my friend, and one good example at that. It shows you just what kind of B.S. your gonna get when he goes through any kind of adversity, and that at the end of the day, he cares more about himself putting up big numbers and shining in the spotlight than winning, he's all about himself, typical NFL prima dona WR type atitude, you think it's bad when TO complains about not getting the ball enough, well what do you think Cam will do when if he get's benched? Will he talk **** to the media, say he's knows more than the coaches, take drugs, get a suicide attempt rumor going... I'm telling you, hes all flash and no dash (to the super bowl that is)

Could it be possible he looked upset because he wasn't playing well? Perhaps not being selfish, but introspective in the fact that here he is, the Heisman, at the title game and laying an egg. Perhaps he was just disappointed in himself? All I'm saying is that, while body language is 90% of communication, without knowing context it matters little.

big frame

big arm

athletic

spent entire college career in shotgun

ran just as much as he threw

id say young, tebow, and newton fit this mold. i was wrong about russel, i thought he ran alot more, which he did not.

I'd be shocked if Mike Shanahan drafts Newton. I think Newton has a lot of Devin Thomas in him and Mike could not coexist with him.

Seriously? Are you really comparing Cam Newton to Devin Thomas? I see no relation what so ever there...Shanahan probably hasnt even met Newton and you are saying they can't coexist? Do you reread the **** you post? Jesus Christ.

big frame

big arm

athletic

spent entire college career in shotgun

ran just as much as he threw

id say young, tebow, and newton fit this mold. i was wrong about russel, i thought he ran alot more, which he did not.

Watch Tebow and Young throw the ball.

Then watch Newton.

They're totally different.

Kiper's gone on record saying that the Newton to Skins deal is simply based on his board vs our need. Nothing more.

Well these days I don't get as much time to watch sports news as I'd like but this doesn't really make sense (depending on your view). I don't see his question marks matching our need. Yea, we have a QB need but a lot more other pressing needs. Next Peyton Manning or not, fill out spots we need more. I guess Newton is the most realistic option if we were drafting QB but I hope we don't. Though I am looking forward to see what Newton does in this league. I think he will do well if put in the right situation. Just not here.

Could it be possible he looked upset because he wasn't playing well? Perhaps not being selfish, but introspective in the fact that here he is, the Heisman, at the title game and laying an egg. Perhaps he was just disappointed in himself? All I'm saying is that, while body language is 90% of communication, without knowing context it matters little.

While I agree that this one example could be blowing his attitude out of proportion, it's his past that really brings this up as a concern. He's known to have character issues and I can't remember what game it was, maybe the win over Alabama or LSU, he was running around like a mad man getting the fans all pumped up jumping into the stands even... And I ask, how do you go from that to the way he acted in the championship game??? You would think he'd go more crazy and be ecstatic for winning the title than just having a great game during the regular season wouldn't you...

I must be over thinking this, but when it's all said & done, I think his ego will end up getting in the way of what coulda been a great career

Watch Tebow and Young throw the ball.

Then watch Newton.

They're totally different.

he might "throw better" but its the same concept of player. even mayock called newton a one read and run guy. that is definitely not a guy we want on this team. what NFL team has a QB that reads one route then takes off? the transition from that type of QB play to a real NFL offensive mindset of reading, knowing the defense, changing plays, knowing hot routes, etc, is not what newton is used to.

even tho locker has not impressed lately, the fact that hes got pro style experience and is more of a pocket QB that can roll out is why id rather gamble on him.

<fdarugar> Seriously? Are you really comparing Cam Newton to Devin Thomas? I see no relation what so ever there...Shanahan probably hasnt even met Newton and you are saying they can't coexist? Do you reread the **** you post? Jesus Christ.

It's a legit comparison both are 1 year wonders coming out of college. Both have off field issues attached to them coming out, we know how it worked out with Thomas so shanny may not want to travel down that road again.

even tho locker has not impressed lately, the fact that hes got pro style experience and is more of a pocket QB that can roll out is why id rather gamble on him.

If Locker goes in the first round, I will be shocked. I could see him lasting to round three. His football instincts aren't great -- watch him play -- and he can't hit what he's aiming at. He may have experience in a pro offense, but he hasn't shown he can execute one well. Ask a UW fan and they'll tell you -- Locker is even more overhyped than Newton.

Again, I'm not in the draft Newton camp. Even if we want to, I think it would involve trading up. He's a big risk in my mind.

But I do see why scouts would be drooling all over him.

While I agree that this one example could be blowing his attitude out of proportion, it's his past that really brings this up as a concern. He's known to have character issues and I can't remember what game it was, maybe the win over Alabama or LSU, he was running around like a mad man getting the fans all pumped up jumping into the stands even... And I ask, how do you go from that to the way he acted in the championship game??? You would think he'd go more crazy and be ecstatic for winning the title than just having a great game during the regular season wouldn't you...

I must be over thinking this, but when it's all said & done, I think his ego will end up getting in the way of what coulda been a great career

Newton hurt his back during the game. That's why he looked all pouty and was leaning over during the trophy presentation - he was in pretty bad pain. It was certainly the most muted postgame reaction all year.

He played the Oregon game with back pain and had to leave for X-rays after the game.

What's wrong with a college kid getting the fans excited? Good grief, he is a 21-year-old college kid who loves playing football. Also, his coaches at JUCO and at Auburn all say he has been a model citizen and team leader the past two years. He also led his teams to National Championships both years. Cam IS NOT the same 19-year-old RS freshman, both on and off the field, he was at Florida in 2008.

Seriously? Are you really comparing Cam Newton to Devin Thomas? I see no relation what so ever there...Shanahan probably hasnt even met Newton and you are saying they can't coexist? Do you reread the **** you post? Jesus Christ.

I figured I'd get a dumbass knee jerk response like this so I had my response waiting. Perhaps you simply know very little about the two players. Where to begin with a comparison?

- JUCO transfers with about three semesters of real college under their belts

- A single year of production

- Patterns of laziness and emotional immaturity

- Lack of experience and development at their positions--touted because of athletic qualities

- Overbearing fathers who seem to micromanage their football careers

What I'm saying is that Mike Shanahan is probably going to look at that and see a lot of the same problems he saw with Devin.

Any reviews from his workout today?? Trent Dilfer is on ESPN now saying it was the best workout he's seen. Calling Cam a very accurate passer and also saying his passes have zip like an A. Rodgers pass. He says when teams see him throw and actually see him physically they will drool over him.

I'm not a QB @ 10 fan but if he is determined to be the best prospect at that position then so be it!

Archived