Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Phil Taylor's stock is going way up; walterfootball has him going #21

pram11

This guy was viewed as a late 2nd rounder less than a month ago, and now he's being mentioned as a borderline top 20 pick. If he has a good combine and continues to impress, I won't be surprised if his stock rises to the point that we could take him at #10. Witness K. C. taking Tyson Jackson at #3; most people thought that was too high, but true 3-4 personnel is hard to come by. If you have a chance to get a good player who fits the 3-4 you do it, even if you take that player higher than he may be projected.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011_1.php

if you buy into the mocks, Miller's going either top 5 or top 7. As for Taylor, love to trade with NE, got a 2nd rounder, and nail down Taylor at 17 assuming he's there.

I'm not interested in the mocks. I don't think Miller will be there, though. Obviously my comment is hypothetical. :)

I'm not interested in the mocks. I don't think Miller will be there, though. Obviously my comment is hypothetical. :)

The one thing about the mocks is its still early in the equation anyway. but getting away from the mocks in terms of sheer buzz, Miller seems to be hot, whether that translates to him going top ten guess will see.

I'm completely on board with your Miller/Davis mancrushing.

:silly:

It's not even necessarily a man crush... It's that I think these two (Miller/Taylor) [Who's Davis?] can help us more than any of the other guys. That's not to say I'm against some of the others. JJ Watt would be a help to us.

if you buy into the mocks, Miller's going either top 5 or top 7. As for Taylor, love to trade with NE, got a 2nd rounder, and nail down Taylor at 17 assuming he's there.

If Gabberts gone then why not trade with the Pats, pick up a second and grab one of the QB's before the second round scramble happens?

If Gabberts gone then why not trade with the Pats, pick up a second and grab one of the QB's before the second round scramble happens?

Yeah trading doesn't always happen that easily but was just reading Kiper's Q & A for today and he mentions that Pats potentially wanting a WR like Jones, if so we'd be a perfect trading partner.

Witness K. C. taking Tyson Jackson at #3; most people thought that was too high, but true 3-4 personnel is hard to come by. If you have a chance to get a good player who fits the 3-4 you do it, even if you take that player higher than he may be projected.

I wouldn't cite Tyson Jackson as a reason to choose a guy higher than he is projected to go. Jackson has been a disaster in KC so far. In two years he has just one sack and he lost is starting spot half way through his second season to a career backup.

I don't really care about Taylor's stock with the draftniks...because that's the only "stock" you know about. If he's viewed as an early-mid 2nd rounder by our scouts now, then nothing between now and the draft should raise him to top-ten status in their eyes.

Its only the media, the fans, and the draft "gurus" who are so fickle that players soar up and down draft boards leading up to the draft. If Taylor's worth a top-ten pick, team's already believe that. If he's a high second-rounder, teams already have that represented on their board. Only a crazy combine could change that, and only certain teams will be swayed by what they see at the combine, as opposed to what they've been watching all along on tape.

I don't really care about Taylor's stock with the draftniks...because that's the only "stock" you know about. If he's viewed as an early-mid 2nd rounder by our scouts now, then nothing between now and the draft should raise him to top-ten status in their eyes.

Its only the media, the fans, and the draft "gurus" who are so fickle that players soar up and down draft boards leading up to the draft. If Taylor's worth a top-ten pick, team's already believe that. If he's a high second-rounder, teams already have that represented on their board. Only a crazy combine could change that, and only certain teams will be swayed by what they see at the combine, as opposed to what they've been watching all along on tape.

Teams will change their draft board 100 times between now and the draft. They have to. It's not a static situation. It's dynamic. Sometimes a scout sees something they didn't see before in film. Sometimes character flags raise. Sometimes you add another piece and you value something differently. They have an idea where they think these guys belong, but their boards are fluid as well.

While it's possible, the Pats just don't trade up very often and especially not into the Top 10. The last time they had a Top 10 pick (#7 in 2008) they traded DOWN with the Saints to #10 (Saints took Sedrick Ellis and the Pats nabbed Jerrod Mayo). The last time the Pats traded UP (2006) they moved up in the 2nd round, from #52 to #36 via a trade with the Packers, so they could draft WR Chad Jackson. Incidently, Green Bay took Greg Jennings with the #52 pick. True, the Pats need a target for Tom Brady and Julio Jones would make perfect sense, but I just don't see them doing it. However, if they're offering, I'm falling all over myself to make that trade.

A lot of the draft is going to depend on the CBA. If they finish it before the draft, anything is possible if they institute a rookie wage scale. If there is a rookie wage scale, I see a lot of trading happening because people don't want to trade into the top 10 right now because of all the bonuses. It will be a lot cheaper to sign those higher draft picks and less of a risk money wise.

Archived