Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Beats By Dr. Dre or Bose headphones?

HitStickTaylor21

I'm looking to get some top notch headphones, and I can't decide between Bose headphones or the Beats By Dr. Dre. I have listened to both in stores and enjoyed both. I love the noise cancellation of Bose, but I love the bass of Beats.

Anyone have any recommendations or experience to share? It's much appreciated, thanks!

Depends what you are going for and what you listen to... The Dre's sound better for hip-hop and dance in my opinion, but Bose is going to give you a wider sound if you are listening to day The Doors or Jimi Hendrix.

Bose is also brand I would trust more in terms of reliability over a long period of time. (Don't get me wrong, Monster Cable Products are fabulous-- for cables-- but they just entered the headphone game like two years ago and Bose has been at the top for a very, very long time.)

As a producer, I have used the same exact make/model of headphones since I was 12 years old and that won't change anytime soon.... Sennheiser makes the best product out there, and if you are willing to drop $200-$300, don't spend an extra hundred just because it has "Dr. Dre" written on the box.

Take a look at a pair like these that are an industry standard for a reason:

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/private_headphones_audiophile-headphones_504631

Good luck man

I am willing to spend a good amount on whatever I get. I can tell a serious difference in quality with cheap headphones compared to the upper echelon. I'm pretty much using my tax return money for some things I've wanted for a long time.

I really like Bose and think they'd have more longevity, the Dr. Dre ones do seem a little trendy. I'm not a big fan of some Sony ones I've tried. Those Sennheiser's look great, where can you to try them in person? I haven't seen them anywhere before.

I am willing to spend a good amount on whatever I get. I can tell a serious difference in quality with cheap headphones compared to the upper echelon. I'm pretty much using my tax return money for some things I've wanted for a long time.

I really like Bose and think they'd have more longevity, the Dr. Dre ones do seem a little trendy. I'm not a big fan of some Sony ones I've tried. Those Sennheiser's look great, where can you to try them in person? I haven't seen them anywhere before.

I agree with you here-- as much as I enjoy most of Sony's products, their headphones are crap in my opinion.

I would suggest calling up your local Guitar Center or just showing up and asking somebody what they think. The model I linked you to literally feels like you have velvet earmuffs on which is pretty rad-- and the listed price on the website will probably be knocked down if you can find it in a store.

I'm not the most organized or careful person in the world when it comes to my equipment, and I am only on my 3rd pair of Sennheisers in the last 13 years. I use them every day for several hours at a time, and I often just throw them in my backpack when it's time to move. I would say about 90% of the professional studios I have worked in exclusively use Sennheisers as well.

Hope this helped man- I'll be curious to know what you ended up pulling the trigger on.

Have a pair of Sony MDR XB500 and used to have a pair of Sennheisers that were great before I broke them.

The Sony pair is a little heavier and seem a little more sturdy, but other than that the sound quality is the same to me.

Ultimately it depends on what what you are using them for.

I have the Bose ear buds and they sound great, three size bud adapters for fit all fail to work -stay in- if I am actually doing something with them in. That would be my only complaint, cost not a factor considering the quality of sound. I acually thought they were not that good until I did a comparison of three pairs one in each ear. Ipod buds, skull candy and the Bose. The Bose won hands down.

We bought the Bose and are happy with them. The Dr Dre had mixed reviews.

I mean it really depends on what you listen to music wise as well. I listen to more rap/hip hop and stuff with a heavy bass and they are perfect for them couldn't have asked for a better pair of headphones but again it really comes down to what you listen to and all

I can't speak for Dr. Dre's headphones, but I doubt they're worth the different in price of my Bose around-ear headphones. I think they were a little less than 100 bucks at some random website and they are amazing. I'm sure they're both great but you really won't be disappointing in Bose and you can spend way less.

Rap/hip hop sucks, so you have to guess the headphones (Dre lol) are going to be the same. Bose all day every day.

Dre has produced more than just hip hop/rap. Educate yourself on a subject before you speak on it.

I have a family member that used to work for Bose as a V.P., They make some nice products and some crappy ones. Same as any other company. You are paying for the name with a lot of their Mexican made products.

Dre has produced more than just hip hop/rap. Educate yourself on a subject before you speak on it.

I have a family member that used to work for Bose as a V.P., They make some nice products and some crappy ones. Same as any other company. You are paying for the name with a lot of their Mexican made products.

I couldn't care less about some dopey rap artist, dude. So save all that noise. And like I said, his headphones are probably garbage, too. Like someone said earlier, you're probably paying for the name.

As for Bose. They are the standard in headphones. I've never tried those noise-cancelling ones they make. But everyone I know that has them, raves about them. The only reason I haven't bought them is because I was hoping the price would come down. I do have the iPod speaker thing they make and the sound from it is absolutely incredible.

Then simply don't talk about it. I don't like Disco you don't see me crapping on it everytime a music thread comes up.

Bose makes some good headphones and some crappy ones. Sennheiser makes great/incredible headphones as well as a few average ones. Again it depends on what you are looking for.

I can't believe how it is to break the Bose headphones I got 5 years ago. I've taken them everywhere I've traveled and they've been sat on/stepped on by people a bunch of times. They still sound great and they're probably one of the most durable products I've ever bought.

Ok I'll give this a go because I've had experience with a few medium piced 80-160dollar ear buds over the past 7 years or so.

V-Moda, the early ones had great sound and range, great bass, a good fit/noise cancellation yet they had poor design with a lot of angular stress and other cord issues. The later generations were even worse and made in China, total crap.

I also had the Bose ones...while the sound was good..I think the noise cancel/isolation was poor. This may have been changed by now I had the first earbud type when they came out. They fell out a lot, you'd lose the tips. So they are very good imo if you don't move around much and listen in relatively quiet areas. I work around CNC machines, vacuums, air generators, etc. and they didn't cancel or isolate much in that environment. So while not a huge fan of these, I have a Bose wave radio/cd player that I absolutely love!

Next I got the Shure brand. These were probably my favorite up to that point. Nice design, comfortable fit, good enough bass, great mid range which most buds lack, great isolation. You don't have to have the sound up beyond medium or so because they isolate sound very well. The design had a skinny curved stem that actually goes into the canal inside of the bud/foam/rubber tip. My issues were the cord was too heavy/thick, I hated the break away section, and after two years tiny cracks would form exposing the inner wiring which eventually caused a failure in sound, distortion, sound cutting in and out from one channel to the other.

I currently have the Beats by dre..not the tours with the flat cords..but the ipod/ipad/iphone version with the in line controls. The floating inline control works nicely pause, play, volume, ff, rw, skp tracks etc. Granted I can't speak of durability because I've only had them for 2months, but they sound great, they are a little heavy on the bass side but treble and mid are full and rich. With these I find you really have to tinker/experiment with the different tips to make sure you have a good seal in your ear. The right size(ie you may need a medium in one ear and a large in the other) and finding the sweet spot of not having them pushed too far into the ear, but not too shallow either where you're not getting a good seal. If the sound is flat or not rich, or is "tinny" they are probably not in far enough..if it sounds muffled they are probably too far in. There is also a break in period where they start to sound better after so many listening hours. The jack is made well, and has a rubberized cone/guard that will stop any possible angular stress on the wire. So I can't speak of durability on these yet but I like the overall sound, design, price point combo the best.

I also tried sony and some 80 dollar apple/itune brand and both were crap to me. I've heard Sennheiser's are really good but I've never owned or tried them so I can't speak on them. Like Shure they have a few levels starting around 80bucks and going up to 400dollars or so I believe.

If it helps at all I'm not biased by genre of music, I listen to progressive rock, classic rock, classical, hip hop, r&b, jazz, reggae, blues, country, and many variations of those, doom metal, grunge, stoner, neo-soul etc etc. I mostly listen using a second generation 32gig ipod touch.

Why not just spend a fraction of the price and get some skullcandy titans... only 20+ bucks and sound fantastic with noise isolation?

Skullcandy? Really? They just re-brand headphones made by other companies (usually not upper echelon products, either) and charge you a good bit extra for the Skullcandy name and design. With the Beats by Dre headphones you're kind of doing the same thing but at least you get a little bit more quality.

Sennheiser is the only way to go for Headphones.

Model is always more important than make, so I wouldn't quite go that far. As a brand, though, Sennheiser is pretty ****ing solid across the board and has been my go-to more often than not when I've been in the market for new headphones over the last 7 or so years.

Archived