Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Haynesworth charged in road incident

Byner21

Simple assault is a pretty mundane charge isn't it? Could he be charged with that for saying "i'm gonna kick your ass"? Seems like if he actually hit the guy he would have been charged with Battery.

legal lesson for the day ;)

From a legal standpoint, assault and battery often form one charge against a suspect. However, some suspects may merely be charged with assault. Anyone who is charged with battery, however, is essentially also guilty of assault.

The difference between assault and battery lies in the definition of the terms. In legalese, assault is any reasonable threat to a person. The person who is committing the assault does not have to actually touch a person. But a reasonable and immediate threat to the person being assaulted must exist for a claim of assault. Battery, on the other hand, requires contact.

legal lesson for the day ;)

From a legal standpoint, assault and battery often form one charge against a suspect. However, some suspects may merely be charged with assault. Anyone who is charged with battery, however, is essentially also guilty of assault.

The difference between assault and battery lies in the definition of the terms. In legalese, assault is any reasonable threat to a person. The person who is committing the assault does not have to actually touch a person. But a reasonable and immediate threat to the person being assaulted must exist for a claim of assault. Battery, on the other hand, requires contact.

I don't know if you are agreeing with me or not. But it seems to me that if a 340+ pound guy got out of his car and hit another driver then he wouldn't have been charged with "simple assault".

I don't know if you are agreeing with me or not. But it seems to me that if a 340+ pound guy got out of his car and hit another driver then he wouldn't have been charged with "simple assault".

goes to the immidiate threat or preception of same....yes he could be charged with assualt, not battery without contact. Would seem that if there is verified contact would be elevated to assualt AND battery.

I learned this in high school, the easiest way to remember it is, drawing your fist back is assault following through is battery...

Can you imagine what happens in that moment where you realize that the man you flipped off is an unstable 350 pound' date=' all pro football player and that man is angrily approaching you?[/quote']

and then your relief when you realize it is Haynesworth and has never followed through on anything in his life and will more than likely get winded on the way to your car....

Funny part about this thread is reading everyone calling him a POS etc. When I can pretty much guarantee if someone flicked most of you off you would have at least cussed them out and looked for a confrontation. Haynesworth clearly has anger problems, which he has admitted to many times. Poor decision on his part, but to just let the guy who instigated it all slide too isn't right. Both should go down in the books IMO.

Archived