Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

10 years ago today: The XFL debuts

BeachSkin

From the newspaper's This Day in History section: Ten Years Ago: "The XFL, a football league founded by the World Wrestling Federation and jointly owned by NBC, held its first two games, in which the Las Vegas Outlaws beat the New York/New Jersey Hitmen 19-0, and the Orlando Rage beat the Chicago Enforcers 33-29. (The XFL folded after just one season.)

Ah, the memories. He Hate Me's debut on the national stage. Governor Ventura trying to start a feud with Rusty Tillman while Tillman ignored him. The eventual resurrection of Tommy Madox's career.

The XFL could've been really good. They had some innovative ideas and could've really moved forward as an off-season league option for fans to watch when the NFL wasn't in-swing. Unfortunately they just completed over-produced it. They couldn't just let the game stand on it's own. That was unfortunate because it really did have potential.

Yes, He Hate Me, Chuck Wagon, and Porter House. Funny Stuff. The league had some potential, but there was just too much of a WWE element to it. The different size and color ball, the flashy, WWE costume looking jerseys, and just the atmosphere put off made it hard to take seriously. I will say this, without that five yard halo, and with the ability to truck the punt returner as he is catching the ball, players like Brandon banks would get killed if they had played.

Wasn't "He Hate Me" Rod Smart who ended up playing for the Panthers?

Yes

I never really payed much attention to the XFL, mainly because like most people in my age group, ( 10-15 ) I was too preoccupied with pro wrestling, and the NFL. I do recall one time where Jesse Ventura threatened to beat the hell out of one of the head coaches after a sideline confrontation ( or something like that ).

Yes

I never really payed much attention to the XFL, mainly because like most people in my age group, ( 10-15 ) I was too preoccupied with pro wrestling, and the NFL. I do recall one time where Jesse Ventura threatened to beat the hell out of one of the head coaches after a sideline confrontation ( or something like that ).

Didnt Rod Smart run back a kickoff for a TD in the Panthers/Patriots Superbowl? I could be wrong, but I remember something like that.

Archived