Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Memo to Dan Snyder: Thank you for your stewardship of the Redskins

Atlanta Skins Fan

Memo to Dan Snyder: Thank you for your stewardship of the Redskins

By Gene Weingarten

Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Washington Post

I just want you to know you have my full support in this matter, just as I support everything you have done during your stewardship of the Redskins. You rock. I wish you good health and long life and hope you run the franchise for many, many years to come. I say this with utmost sincerity as a lifelong fan of the New York Giants.

I know you are taking some criticism today from carping media types. They seem to think that you are not only behaving like a petty, vindictive bully but also that you are being strategically stupid - by bringing a vast new audience to a three-month-old, otherwise-obscure alternative-media piece, which can be found at http://mirror.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/40063/the-cranky-redskins-fans-guide-to-dan-snyder.html

I understand why you were upset by this article. By unkindly focusing only on the negative aspect of your ownership, the author, Dave McKenna, is suggesting that you are an avaricious, imperious, conscienceless plutocrat with callous contempt for the fans; a man whose Napoleonic, pouter-pigeon swagger conceals a doofus-like understanding of the game and whose pernicious, autocratic meddling has consigned the team to perpetual mediocrity and its players and coaches to a perennial state of harrowing anxiety, all of this starting virtually from the moment you arrived and continuing to this very minute.

This could cause a casual reader to conclude you are the most malign and incompetent owner in the history of organized sports, which is completely unfair. Because of his agenda, McKenna fails to contextualize all of this - neglecting to mention, to use just one obvious example, that former Cincinnati Reds owner Marge Schott used to let her dog poop on the playing field.

But I digress. The point I want to make - and I think I can speak not only for myself but for all Giants fans - is that you have been very, very good to us, and we appreciate it. It's not easy being an ardent supporter of a football team. In this sport, the cliche is mostly true: On any given Sunday, any team can defeat any other team. Such is the nature of this game, which is so often influenced by injuries and so often subject to the effects of intangibles like momentum. This keeps the devoted fan in a constant state of stress. You can't take any win for granted.

But thanks to you, twice a season we can. Nothing is certain, of course, but when a Redskins game approaches, we at least know that we will be facing a team in spiritual disarray, whose players have been assembled largely by whim and impulse and ego, coached by a person as insecure as a teenage girl at a prom, with a nose zit.

It helps. It helps a lot.

Click link to view remainder of this article

lg.php?ckmode=-1&bannerid=54263&campaignid=3728&zoneid=14509&bizmodel=37280&catCol=1&catId=478220580&cb=ae5ce2fd56&rtb=0&z=_ceVE%25252bjJAD47VxQRrsV5JZQ%25253d%25253d&zc=%257ckRtjV4rO495LlVFAXTCyQw%253d%253d%257c&b=_%25252fLqVauF2f3GKuekfelxxrA%25253d%25253d&bi=%7ckRtjV4rO497qT8CtQkepRnG9ckTb1bE%2bRSbi07kth%2bvfghcpa2EBkA%3d%3d%7c&ep=%257ckRtjV4rO494f5lcDj8sLAoMB1dOob4z5Yjus4ywgl0F7wFx0tbOp%252bQ%253d%253d%257c&loc=http%3a%2f%2fwww.washingtonpost.com%2fwp-dyn%2fcontent%2farticle%2f2011%2f02%2f02%2fAR2011020206098.html&referer=http%3a%2f%2fnews.google.com%2fnews%2fstory%3fpz%3d1%26amp%3bcf%3di%26amp%3bned%3dus%26amp%3bhl%3den%26amp%3bq%3ddan+snyder%26amp%3bncl%3dde7rqs18BeOS27M0jzNY9JoFsfb8M&CPMC=5.024545&CPMD=0.7462642&RiskPM=0.811774379842296

I think and hope this article is one year out of date. At least it doesn't appear that Danny via Vinny is making the football decisions anymore. The McNabb trade was bad but unless Shanny is an amazing liar and much weaker than we thought -- he made that bad deal not Danny. We have been the whipping boys of the Giants, no question, but if we had a professional NFL kicker we would have likely beat them last time.

But in the past, though Danny denied involvement, there was a definite seat of the pants, impetuous decision making feel about this team IMO. The McNabb trade while some paint it (including some of us on the board but not me) as the trade to characterize Shanny's whole previous off season and for that matter the rest of his tenure here as some sort of sweeping mistake that will derail us for the next decade, etc -- it just seems silly to me. Lets give these guys this off season before we paint the Shanny administration as Vinny/Danny the sequel.

The one think I like about the article though is I hope Danny reads it and it reaffirms that he needs to be patient. The Giants build their teams via the lines and a franchise QB. They keep their picks and draft well.

Snyder's stewardship of this franchise has been abysmal and an abomination...it's nothing more than a shell of what it once was.

Everything that has happened to this franchise — all the embarrassment, all the losing, all of the turmoil — is the responsibility of Snyder.

What horrible journalism from the post. The reason he is suing is not because of the negative comments, but rather the false comments like the one saying he forged signatures which is a felony. Pathetic newspaper. I am not a Snyder fan, but this just reaks of bitterness and is not professional from that organization.

god the truth hurts ... I don't give **** about the author's criticism of Snyder, accurate or inaccruate, concerning his issue with McKenna ... what kills me is as a Giants fan HE IS CRAPPING ON THE SKINS. :(

just like the wizards road losign streak, our inability to beat the Giants is freakign stressful.

On any given Sunday, any team can defeat any other team. Such is the nature of this game, which is so often influenced by injuries and so often subject to the effects of intangibles like momentum. This keeps the devoted fan in a constant state of stress. You can't take any win for granted.

But thanks to you, twice a season we can. Nothing is certain, of course, but when a Redskins game approaches, we at least know that we will be facing a team in spiritual disarray, whose players have been assembled largely by whim and impulse and ego, coached by a person as insecure as a teenage girl at a prom, with a nose zit.

Minus the Gibbs years? I think we give it a pass because it was Gibbs.
Playoffs every other year? With a team that stunk before and after he left?

Gibbs II is looking better and better, sandwiched between the Spurrier and Zorn debacles. Let's hope Shanny can work similar magic.

Dan Snyder is incompetent and a jerk. We get it. Let's not forget the large part of the media that are self-serving douches with axes to grind who are not the "journalists" they claim to be. Someone write an article about that.

this could not be said better ... HE IS THE ROOT OF ALL THE PROBLEMS - HE IS THE ONLY CONSTANT. Can't blame Vinny for 5-11 in 2010. Sure his damage to our roster will take time to overcome, but a good owner can do things to fix that. See Atlanta after the Mike Vick and Petrino debacle.

Gibbs II is looking better and better, sandwiched between the Spurrier and Zorn debacles. Let's hope Shanny can work similar magic.

Nobody disputes what was accomplished on the field. To me, it's clear that the underlying ugliness was always there—evidenced by how sloppy the transition to Zorn was. Gibbs was holding things together but it was tenuous.

y'know, the costant moaning and beeching about snyder almost makes me want to like the guy....

unfortunately it the only factor that makes me want to like him.

It definitely makes me want to like him. Rest assured that from now on it will be "remember the time Snyder wanted to fire the poor little guy from City Paper".

What horrible journalism from the post. The reason he is suing is not because of the negative comments, but rather the false comments like the one saying he forged signatures which is a felony. Pathetic newspaper. I am not a Snyder fan, but this just reaks of bitterness and is not professional from that organization.

you know that Weingarten is a HUMORIST opinion writer, right?

seriously... next-up on the washington post's crappy professionalism and lack of journalistic integretity line-up: how in the world could charley brown do a FLIP just because lucy pulled a football out from under him? did the lousy post editors even BOTHER to research whether that was phsically possible? effin hacks!

Zorn took over after Gibbs. Shanahan took over after Zorn. He's got his work cut out for him.

Archived