Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYSCEF: New York - Tort <SUMMONS + COMPLAINT> (DANIEL M. SNYDER - v. - ATALAYA CAPITAL MANAGEMENT, LP et al)

TK

As usual, we have a topic that generates responses showing peoples biases more than anything else. When you preface your remarks with " I loathe Snyder......." it basically invalidates anything else you have to say, and there is quite a bit of that on display here. It's amusing how casually some dismiss the facts of the matter so that they can rant and rave about Snyder, amusing in a "You're so funny when you skip your meds" kinda way.

I wanted to read through the entire thread before saying exactly what you said. I hope to God none of the fans in here that live in the area are selected for the jury on this case. There is way too much "anti-Dan" and not enough looking at the actual facts of the case.

What would Snyder have to gain or lose by doing this during SB week? I don't see an angle here.

But, I will say, I'm glad he chose to go this route after the season. (well, our season anyway)

one guess:

Snyder has such an ego he cant stand the Super Bowl hype going on without him, especially since Jerry is involved, even without his Cowboys...

He is trying to take away from the Super Bowl media, and Jerry's Stadium media.

like i said, just a guess...:D

I wanted to read through the entire thread before saying exactly what you said. I hope to God none of the fans in here that live in the area are selected for the jury on this case. There is way too much "anti-Dan" and not enough looking at the actual facts of the case.

There is no case. The judge is going to take one look at this and say you guys go in a room make nice and make some agreements and be on your way.

• I can't believe a reporter writing for a reputable newspaper would be stupid enough to include false information in an article, and that other systems in place there (editors, fact-checkers, I dunno) wouldn't at least flag that as a risk to discuss with newspaper management; so, I have a hard time believing they'd print something totally false especially considering the wealth of the subject (and his ability to sue)
  • I think the anti-Semitic thing may be over-played; I'm not Jewish, but I've never heard that drawing devil horns and a mono-brow on a Jew's image is mortally offensive to them (as a people). Is that true?
  • If McKenna's allegations are false, I hope he's slammed for this
  • One possible motive for Dan's decision to do this now is the attack on his wife; he might be able to turn the other cheek when he's the object of ridicule, but once the attacks turn to family, that's another story

One possible motive for Dan's decision to do this now is the attack on his wife; he might be able to turn the other cheek when he's the object of ridicule, but once the attacks turn to family, that's another story

A few years ago, I would agree on this, but over the last two years, his wife has become a more public figure than Dan himself is. She appears in NFL ads now.

Granted, she is mostly out front in a charitable capacity so I would hope that everyone treats her more gently than her husband. But her comments about him as an owner are certainly not off-limits.

The Baldwins used this defense a few years ago when it was disovered that a foundation that their mother was running had ridiculously high overhead which meant that very few dollars were actually used for charity. They responded with the "She is a saint and a philanthropist" defense.

Seriously, catch up. This has been going on since McKenna's hatched piece ran. It's in the links in the OP & it's on the WCP's site as well with both acknowledging it.

Already quoted, but it needs to be quoted again for your benefit.

from a 2001 lawsuit that resulted in Snyder Communications paying $3.1 million:

""In the case of Snyder Communications, our investigation revealed thousands of instances in which the marketing agent's representatives forged customers' signatures to switch them to GTE long-distance....The allegations were settled through two separate agreements, one calling for Verizon and Snyder to collectively pay $2.5 million for actions attributable to Snyder representatives and another calling for Verizon to pay $600,000 for actions attributable to its own sales personnel."

As I said before, McKenna is a class act. Snyder is a sociopath. People who defend him are likely on his payroll (or perhaps you just have a thing for rich people that treat the world like excrement).

Already quoted, but it needs to be quoted again for your benefit.

from a 2001 lawsuit that resulted in Snyder Communications paying $3.1 million:

""In the case of Snyder Communications, our investigation revealed thousands of instances in which the marketing agent's representatives forged customers' signatures to switch them to GTE long-distance....The allegations were settled through two separate agreements, one calling for Verizon and Snyder to collectively pay $2.5 million for actions attributable to Snyder representatives and another calling for Verizon to pay $600,000 for actions attributable to its own sales personnel."

As I said before, McKenna is a class act. Snyder is a sociopath. People who defend him are likely on his payroll (or perhaps you just have a thing for rich people that treat the world like excrement).

and again, not saying its true, cause i dont know, but Snyder has said that he sold the company before any of this happened, ie. he was not involved.

I mean, it's just CRAZY, isn't it? A community with 100k most rabid members of the Washington Redskins' fanbase. And there are a few dozen that really like the owner. Craziness!!

I'm with you, it's most likely a conspiracy. I bet people are paid to say nice things about him. It's the only logical explanation.

Name one thing this owner has done that is worth defending. One. I can think of more nice things to say about Bernie Madoff.

Now, if there was a message board owned by Bernie Madoff that had a bunch of people who seem to be constantly logged on defending him all day long.....

Name one thing this owner has done that is worth defending. One. I can think of more nice things to say about Bernie Madoff.

I figured you'd change the subject. I don't blame you. No way for you to stay on topic without looking like a blathering idiot. Carry on

and again, not saying its true, cause i dont know, but Snyder has said that he sold the company before any of this happened, ie. he was not involved.

If he had to pay some of that 2.5 million he was involved in some form or fashion. This reminds me of whole redskins ticket issue last year. It seems the people around Synder hire a bunch of "great" employees.

If he had to pay some of that 2.5 million he was involved in some form or fashion. This reminds me of whole redskins ticket issue last year. It seems the people around Synder hire a bunch of "great" employees.

well yea i wondered that, and considered that when it says "Snyder" in there with Verizon, that its referring to the company and not the man.

The Baldwins used this defense a few years ago when it was disovered that a foundation that their mother was running had ridiculously high overhead which meant that very few dollars were actually used for charity. They responded with the "She is a saint and a philanthropist" defense.

I think family is family and that blinds a person to realities sometimes. I'm guessing that Dan considers himself very loyal to those who are "in" with him, and especially to his wife. I think he may be reacting to what he considers an attack on her character.

Shanahan and Allen did that. Do you actually think that Snyder is pleased that McNabb isn't the QB? That would absolutely be his preference but he's letting his football people make the decision on which way to go with the QB. And aside from drafting a tackle with the 4th pick, they also traded a 2011 pick for a Right Tackle and received a pick back which proves they spent significant resources on a non-glamorous position acquiring players who won't add to jersey sales...

And a larger point is if you bring in a QB, what's the crime in selling his jersey? If your football people bring in McNabb, don't you think there will be demand to sell merchandise with his name/# on it? SHould he not put it up for sale to prove that he's not interested in selling jerseys?

I see us going after McNabb, and what I see is us going after another big name. Maybe you see differently, Thats your right. If you want to believe that Snyder went from making all the big moves to having no say, then go right ahead. I don't believe that. I base my opinion on the fact that he said so himself when he fired Marty. Maybe he's grown since then. Obviously, you think he has. I don't. George Michael said last year that ALL the big decisions in Redskins park were being made by Snyder, and thats just last year. Do I think that he went from making ALL the big decisions to making none of them? Sorry, I don't believe that. You can put your faith in Shanny all you want and I don't fault you. I just know I've been let down too many times to get my hopes and expectations up.

And I see the trading for Brown as an entirely different move than the drafting for Williams. The former is trading away draft picks (ala young players) for an old injured guy who may not even be here next year. The later is building the team through the draft. I've been against the type of moves like the Brown move and the McNabb move since Snyder took over. I admit, the initially I was intrigued by it and wanted to see if it would work, but now I'm convinced it will not work. I would have rather saved our picks and drafted Bruce Campbell to play alongside Trent Williams. Or maybe Zane Beadles or J.D. Walton or a number of other linemen who were drafted and are playing on rookie contracts and performing well. But Snyder's way (whether it be done by Norv, Spurrier, Gibbs, Zorn, Vinny, or Shotty) is to build a veteran team and try to win instantly. But I guess that after 10 years we're still looking for that instant success.

You can keep believing that he's changed. I'll continue to believing that he hasn't. Eventually we'll see. But until then we'll have to agree to disagree.

As the poster who's a lawyer said a little earlier, NO WAY this thing goes to trial and will therefore never see a jury. It's a foolish lawsuit. More than that, though, it's just unbelievable how the owner continues to expose himself to ridicule in the media and by the fans. Honestly, can you imagine any of the excellent owners (Kraft, Irsay, Rooney, etc....) filing this type of a lawsuit. Granted, unlikely that an article like this ever gets published about them, but even if it were, they would just let it go and not give it any more attention. It's like the owner is a petulant child, so arrogant and narcissistic that he can't stand when people are saying bad things about him. Who's advising this guy, seriously? There's no way that a competent PR guy would advise going forward with this lawsuit.

You're either Dave himself, or his target audience. :ols:

This is why I asked if he left before the settlement or before the forging.

An employer is liable for bad actions of its employees, right? If forging went on under Dan's ownership, he is ultimately responsible.

This is interesting because saying Dan is a forger is not the same as saying Dan allowed forgery under his watch.

As usual, we have a topic that generates responses showing peoples biases more than anything else. When you preface your remarks with " I loathe Snyder......." it basically invalidates anything else you have to say, and there is quite a bit of that on display here. It's amusing how casually some dismiss the facts of the matter so that they can rant and rave about Snyder, amusing in a "You're so funny when you skip your meds" kinda way.

What "facts" do we know? All we have is CP's side and Snyder's declarations that they are false. Both sides claim to know the truth, but both can't be right. So people who have opinions have to base them on something, some say that Snyder has a right to sue. Some say that its a bad pr move. Some question the seriousness of the allegations. Some of us are pretty upset (and reminded) about the things in the article that Snyder doesn't bring up in the lawsuit. Those have a pretty large impact on the fans. And some are frustrated that they have to deal with being the butt of jokes about our team in the national media DURING SUPER BOWL WEEK. So yeah, having a negative initial opinion of Snyder may show that I'm not unbiased in this case. But I'm not on the jury on this case. But how Snyder behaves has a direct affect on how much money I spend on the Redskins (vs say the Wizards/Nationals/Terps/Hoyas/etc) and the embarrassment he's put me through over the years has put the Redskins at the low end of the totem pole.

Anyone can sue anyone else at any time.

Always keep this in mind. It's a Judges duty to decide if a lawsuit is frivolous or not. In the mean time lawyers are getting paid. What Snyder has to prove is damage. After the writer wrote the article, how did the article hurt Snyder. It appears most of what the court documents are talking about is "slander" which is slightly different then what has happened to him. Basically they are saying the writer made up lies about Snyder and because of those lies Snyder can't get a job, can't hire players, can't get a loan, can't hire a decent head coach, or is causing loss of revenue due to the article.

Clearly the article is an opinionated article which is a lot different from the typical factual articles. Yes there is a lot of truth to the article but the writer also is incorporating his opinion on a lot of the material. All I see this is, is a way to bully a paper into what? firing the writer or getting a written apology from the writer and paper? So I'm guessing if the paper fired the writer all the legal paper work would go bye bye.

You either have a case or you don't. You either go after the party or you don't. I'm so sick of hearing how people throw the legal system around in order to get the solution they want and then stop the legal process. Bullying is what it amounts to. People or companies don't want to have to pay for the legal fees to fight the claim so they do whatever has to be done to make the claiment happy.

Go ahead and fire the writer. More then likely he'll add it to his article and post it elsewhere... perhaps on message boards.

I still think it's all freedom of speech unless DS can prove damages.

McKenna is very good at what he does - but that doesn't make him a "class act." He is a fact-bending, agenda driven, weasely yellow journalist.

No way, this is now a national news story. Synder is being made like a bully everywhere now. He has lost all credibility as an owner, and to be honest they only way he might redeem himself to the fans now is to win a superbowl.

He should have taken the highroad on this and tried to resolved it without going to the courtroom. Funny people thought of him as a "great" business man, when his tactics are mainly bullying, forging, and going to court :) If he was not able to buy the skins when he did he may be broke on the street somewhere.

To take it a step further. The contract dispute is going on right now. The NFLPA wants to make the owners look like bullies who are trying to hurt regular people (have you seen the ad "let them play"?) This move by Snyder plays directly into that line of reasoning. Its a billionaire suing a small business to try to put them out of business because he doesn't like the stories they write about because they happen to paint a negative picture of him. I don't know if the NFLPA will use this, but if the owners want to connect with the fans and have us think that the players are the cause of this lockout, then Snyder's not helping them.

Now, if there was a message board owned by Bernie Madoff that had a bunch of people who seem to be constantly logged on defending him all day long.....

As Bugs would say, "what a maroon". Name 1 thing Snyder has done that is worse than fraudently squandering away people's life savings and leaving them with 0, zip nada, for retirement. Your post is quite McKenna-esque.

This is why I asked if he left before the settlement or before the forging.

An employer is liable for bad actions of its employees, right? If forging went on under Dan's ownership, he is ultimately responsible.

This is interesting because saying Dan is a forger is not the same as saying Dan allowed forgery under his watch.

Or..... that he allowed alcohol to be sold in the bathrooms. lol. JK. Remember when with out a doubt it had to be Snyder that had the vendors going into the bathrooms selling beer.

I look at it this way... Snyder is not the best owner in the NFL, but I like to think he's not the worst. But I also feel the writer has his right to freedom of speech. I don't see anything in the article thats damaging to Snyder character, which he would have to prove has happened. I doubt seriously the writer has done anything worse then what Snyder has done to himself over the 10+ yrs he's owned the team. Maybe Snyder should sue himself, maybe he'll win some money.

He'd probably **** the whole thing up, but at least it would keep the Skins on the front page of all the national media outlets.

Ha, Ha.

You know when I first heard about this whole thing the only thing I could think of was how right before a famous person has a new music CD come out or movie they seem to find a way to get in the news or in the tabloids. Usually it's drunk driving, occassionaly drugs, nude photo's, or fighting a photographer. All to get people to buy, read, listen, or watch whatever else they are associated with for sales.

But Snyder's way (whether it be done by Norv, Spurrier, Gibbs, Zorn, Vinny, or Shotty) is to build a veteran team and try to win instantly. But I guess that after 10 years we're still looking for that instant success.

That was also George Allen's way.

Archived