Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 College Football Thread

SkinsHokieFan

Wait, when was the Big 12 Championship Game? I guess I missed that.

Both teams deserved a shot. And a convincing argument can be made for both. Which side you fall on comes down to nothing more than personal bias.

Whoever won between OU and OK State were the Big 12 Champs.

Nick Saban has even said if you don't win your conference you shouldn't play for the National Title.

Nick Saban has even said if you don't win your conference you shouldn't play for the National Title.

On twitter, someone attributed this to Saban with no source. It went viral, and was thus accepted as fact. Chris Fowler posted this week that ESPN has no written or videoed evidence of Saban ever saying this.

Saban voted Okla State 4th in the last coaches poll.

Douche.

I would also love an explanation on how Oklahoma State is only the 6th best team - according to Derrick Mayes who voted in the Harris Poll.

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/vault/HICFP_Individual_Rankings_Dec_4_2011.pdf

A couple of voters had them 5th best also.

:doh:

That's 2/3 of the BCS formula right there. Considering the margin between #2 and #3 in the final BCS standings, I wonder how much these idiots had an influence.

Disagree in the case of Boise. (Don't know enough about KS to have an opinion.)

Want respect, Boise? Join a real conference. Play 2 top 10 teams, another 2 top 25 teams, and a couple of teams that are probably in the top 50.

Or, keep playing pushovers, whining about not getting respected, and ignoring people when they tell you why you aren't respected.

(I'm also not certain that Boise doesn't get into an 8-team playoff. I don't know if they'd get my vote, but I suspect they'd get some. They might make it. All I'm saying is, if they don't get into an 8-team playoff, I won't be feeling sorry for them.)

1. Boise tried getting into a better conference.... the ink had barely dried on the contract when the "front runners" of the Mountain West conference left like rats on a sinking ship (Utah, Brigham Young, and TCU next year)... not really a lot Boise could do about that. And while we wish we could just snap our fingers or will our way into the PAC 12, Big 12, et al,...we have to be invited. Boise State University isn't even 100 years old yet so we're not expecting an invite from the "Old Money" conferences any time soon.

2. Playing pushovers? I don't know where you've been, but Boise State is the only top 15 that DOESN'T play a cream puff/ "guaranteed" win for their first game. I don't know who your college team is but I'm pretty sure they don't take that risk. Boise's first Opponent the last 4 years has been Oregon, Oregon, Virginia Tech, Georgia respectively. Who did your team open up against the last four years?

Our conference foes are what they are. It's not our fault they don't play to our level (obvious exception TCU). Boise State has accomplished what it has this past decade with a FRACTION of the budget/ recruiting power that the BCS schools enjoy and if they were to join a power conference they would likely compete at a high level in football within 5 years if Coach Peterson still runs the program.

The big schools/pundits love to use Boise's schedule against them but they aren't exactly lining up to schedule them. BSU opens up against Michigan State next year and I'm sure they'd love another BCS match if someone wants to sack up and offer it. And don't throw that "BSU wants too much money" crap some other guy tried laying on me earlier this season, because I already proved to him that the school who made that complaint (Nebraska) had no problem offering a similar amount to the lowly University of Idaho... because that was essentially a guaranteed win.

It's simple... schedule a home and home, or pay the money that a perennial top 15 team deserves for a one and done. And if the big boys don't want to do either, then I guess they (and their pundits) should really quit running their mouths about BSU's schedule.

Any one else having an issue with only this thread?

Yes, there's a problem with the page numbering. I'm on the last page (which for me is page 343, yours is post #5142) yet it's telling me there are more than 400 pages, and if I click on any beyond this one it gives me a redirect error.

Saban voted Okla State 4th in the last coaches poll.

Douche.

So a guy is a douche for acting in his own self-interest? Please.

He is paid millions of dollars to do whatever within the rules to win a championship. And guess what, right now, the rules allow competing coaches to vote on which teams should be ranked where. It's not douchey, it's rational. There's no extra points for altruism.

So much misdirected anger.

So a guy is a douche for acting in his own self-interest? Please.

He is paid millions of dollars to do whatever within the rules to win a championship. And guess what, right now, the rules allow competing coaches to vote on which teams should be ranked where. It's not douchey, it's rational. There's no extra points for altruism.

So much misdirected anger.

No, his role as a voting member is to accurately and fairly rank the top 25 teams. Acting in your own self interest doesn't fill that role.

Sure - he's entitled to do it in his own self interest..but there should be reprecussions. Coaches should lose voting priveleges if they consistently cook the votes...so to speak. Otherwise, whats to keep conferences from voting as a bloc and filling the MNC with two teams from the same conference (albeit only 50% of any conference gets a vote)?

I don't know where you've been, but Boise State is the only top 15 that DOESN'T play a cream puff/ "guaranteed" win for their first game.

Agreed.

They play a "maybe the other guy will come out on the wrong foot" game, for their first game. Then they play cream puff/ guaranteed win games for the other 10. :)

And, sorry, but recent events have not led me to conclude that it's all that difficult for a school to change conferences. For example, I think the Big 12 is down to, what, 9 teams, now? I suspect they might be willing to make a deal. I doubt that they'd beg, or anything. They don't have it all that bad, right now. They've had what, 6 teams ranked, for at least part of this year? So it's not like they desperately need BS or anybody else. But, these departures have got to be making them a little nervous. Other conferences are getting bigger, and they're getting smaller.

And the Big 12 certainly isn't the only candidate. (Just the one that I suspect might make the best deal.)

No, his role as a voting member is to accurately and fairly rank the top 25 teams. Acting in your own self interest doesn't fill that role.

Sure - he's entitled to do it in his own self interest..but there should be reprecussions. Coaches should lose voting priveleges if they consistently cook the votes...so to speak. Otherwise, whats to keep conferences from voting as a bloc and filling the MNC with two teams from the same conference (albeit only 50% of any conference gets a vote)?

Looks like we need a ton of new voters, with every SEC coach voting Bama 2, and every Big 12 coach voting OSU 2.

Tell that today David Shaw. He voted Stanford 3. What a douche.

Unless he voted Oregon 1 or 2 - he is a douche.

Remind me again what conference Stanford won? Now, what conference did Oklahoma State win? What was their SOS (I'll give you that one - Stanford SOS was 61 and OSU's was 10)?

Stanford has one advantage over Oregon - it didn't play an OOC schedule that compared to Oregon (21 is SOS)....or even one that compared to OSU.

Don't get me wrong...I like Stanford. A lot. I think they are a great team...but it makes no sense for them to be in front of Oregon. A team they lost to by more than 3td's and whose extra loss came from playing the #1 team in the nation.

Of course, I still can't figure why Clemson is 4 spots behind Va Tech in the final BCS rankings...despite killing Tech 2x this year.

Agreed.

They play a "maybe the other guy will come out on the wrong foot" game, for their first game. Then they play cream puff/ guaranteed win games for the other 10. :)

And, sorry, but recent events have not led me to conclude that it's all that difficult for a school to change conferences. For example, I think the Big 12 is down to, what, 9 teams, now? I suspect they might be willing to make a deal. I doubt that they'd beg, or anything. They don't have it all that bad, right now. They've had what, 6 teams ranked, for at least part of this year? So it's not like they desperately need BS or anybody else. But, these departures have got to be making them a little nervous. Other conferences are getting bigger, and they're getting smaller.

And the Big 12 certainly isn't the only candidate. (Just the one that I suspect might make the best deal.)

So you assume that Boise never comes out flat footed???? Thanks, I guess. No really, that's reaching man.

As I said earlier, we'd love to be in the Pac 12 or the Big 12, but they don't want us. PAC12 doesn't like our academic level (and that's fair... like I said, the University isn't even 100 years old yet (1932) so we don't compare to Stanford academically). I don't know what the Big 12's deal is... I know we could compete in that conference and be just as good as A&M or Baylor or TCU, but they haven't invited us either. Believe me, we're not just waiting for these guys to call.

The only offer so far is the Big East and:

A- it's on the other side of the continent.

B- They only want our football to save their AQ status, they won't take our other sports

C- Would that even help Boise' SOS that much, especially with WV and Pitt splitting?

Archived