Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP Insider Baylor's Phil Taylor- perhaps our NT of the future. UPDATED 3/9 Article with Stephen Paea mention

The Full Monty

Hey guys, Baylor grad here. Been watching Phil Taylor for the past couple years since he transferred from Penn State. The dude is a beast and gets great penetration on the D-Line. He's so dominant he's even been used on offense a few times. Due to the fact that he's coming out of Baylor, which is not known for great defensive prospects outside of Mike Singletary, he'll be a 2nd or 3rd round pick no matter how good he does at the combine or scouts grade him. He has TREMENDOUS value for where we might be able to grab him. I hope Shanny pays attention to this guy.

Interesting. From most reports that I have read on him it has been stated that he did not play with a consistent motor and did not dominate the line of scrimmage on a regular basis. It was also said that he needed to be rotated in and out in order to remain effective. Would you agree or disagree with this?

Its just a bit alarming that he hasn't hit center stage until the Senior Bowl because the guy has the talent to be an absolute game changer, especially at the college level. And its not like he didn't get a chance to showcase his talents considering all the nationally broadcasted games they had. Seems like they were on almost every Saturday with the basic sports package I have with Verizon. I just can't help but question his love of the game and wonder if he is just pushing for the big pay day. I would honestly still take him in the 2nd though just based on our need at the position, his upside, and in hope that Shanny can keep him motivated.

I like Taylor a lot, and with his strong showing at the Senior Bowl, I started to fear he would be selected long before our 2nd rounder comes up. I asked scouting expert Wes Bunting about it last night over Twitter... he loves Taylor, but feels that there are enough concerns about character and inconsistency to keep him out of the first round. If we can find a stud RDE/OLB in the 1st and Taylor drops to us in the 2nd, this defense could get a lot better in a hurry.

I like Taylor a lot, and with his strong showing at the Senior Bowl, I started to fear he would be selected long before our 2nd rounder comes up. I asked scouting expert Wes Bunting about it last night over Twitter... he loves Taylor, but feels that there are enough concerns about character and inconsistency to keep him out of the first round. If we can find a stud RDE/OLB in the 1st and Taylor drops to us in the 2nd, this defense could get a lot better in a hurry.

Yeah I saw that question last night, I think he's dead on with it, great prospect and has everything you want as a NT but is inconsistent and will slip into the 2nd round

I just realized Taylor went to Gwynn Park High School in Clinton, Md.

I wonder if he grew up a Redskin fan?

I would be curious to know as well, He was a Penn State guy and then ended up at Baylor. No one knows why he left Penn State and what for but he went to Baylor and while he hasn't been the all world Ndamukong Suh type guy, he's been pretty good there and as an NT would be very good for us

Interesting. From most reports that I have read on him it has been stated that he did not play with a consistent motor and did not dominate the line of scrimmage on a regular basis. It was also said that he needed to be rotated in and out in order to remain effective. Would you agree or disagree with this?

Its just a bit alarming that he hasn't hit center stage until the Senior Bowl because the guy has the talent to be an absolute game changer, especially at the college level. And its not like he didn't get a chance to showcase his talents considering all the nationally broadcasted games they had. Seems like they were on almost every Saturday with the basic sports package I have with Verizon. I just can't help but question his love of the game and wonder if he is just pushing for the big pay day. I would honestly still take him in the 2nd though just based on our need at the position, his upside, and in hope that Shanny can keep him motivated.

I mean I don't think he has the motor of Clay Matthews, but he's not constantly on the ground trying to catch his breath like Haynesworth either. I don't think that knock is anything that some NFL conditioning wouldn't fix. I honestly think he just flies under the radar cause its Baylor.

• 1 month later...

From Insider article

"Baylor's Phil Taylor attracts Redskins' interest"

With the failure of the Albert Haynesworth-nose tackle experiment, and Ma'ake Kemoeatu coming off shoulder surgery, the Redskins are in the market for a nose tackle to anchor the line of their 3-4 defense. And Taylor, a Clinton, Md., native, is improving his stock as draft evaluations continue.

In post-Senior Bowl draft projections in January, Taylor was considered a mid- to early second round draft choice. Now draft analysts believe that he could be taken late in the first round.

At the combine, the 6-foot-3, 334-pound Taylor ran the 40-yard dash in 5.09 seconds, bench pressed 225 pounds 31 times, and recorded a vertical leap of 29-1/2 inches and a broad jump of 8 feet, 4 inches.

Also at the combine, Taylor had a group interview with Redskins officials including coach Mike Shanahan, defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, owner Daniel Snyder and general manager Bruce Allen, according Schaffer.

Well living in Waco, TX, I have been able to watch alot of Baylor football.

He was a shining start on a relatively weak defense.

The player to watch for,tho it wont be till next year is Robert Griffin III, qb.

He has track speed, a big arm, and has really muscled up since his knee surgery.

This kid will really be exciting.

If we want Griffin next year, why not just take Newton this year? He did it in the superior SEC anyway.

And consider me on the bandwagon of DE in 1st round and NT in the 2nd. If we can land one of the top 2 or 3 DE's and a top 2 or 3 NT, that defense is gonna turn around. Then we draft Andrew Luck next year, sign Cheddar Bob and poof, Superbowl.

I do like Taylor from what I have seen on TV at the Senior Bowl. But I think him at 10 is a HUGE reach. I mean, He is not Suh or anything like that. I would like to see him on our squad though!!!!

It's also notoriously rare for a rookie DT to make any immediate impact. I think it would be a mistake not signing a veteran granted there are few options left.

I would love it if we could trade back in the first and pick up this guy and some more picks. If we got an extra 2nd or a 3rd we might actually be able to answer a handful of our holes this offseason, through the draft and FA.

That would be a huge success for us.

Am I the only one wondering why Snyder was at the meeting to evaluate a draft prospect?

Yeah that was kinda weird for me too. For a group interview...but... we don't know whether he was just in the group watching while the coaches and Bruce Allen were asking questions. We just know he was present.

I don't want to get excited about any player. He looks interesting, but I wonder who the other names at NT are. I've heard about Kenrick Ellis from Hampton and I think we could get him late. I wonder how they compare to one another. What I want are a bunch of quality players. If Ellis is the same quality of player as Taylor, but likely to go lower, then I'd rather get another position with my second.

I would be curious to know as well, He was a Penn State guy and then ended up at Baylor. No one knows why he left Penn State and what for but he went to Baylor and while he hasn't been the all world Ndamukong Suh type guy, he's been pretty good there and as an NT would be very good for us

JoePa kicked Taylor off the team.

I don't want to get excited about any player. He looks interesting, but I wonder who the other names at NT are. I've heard about Kenrick Ellis from Hampton and I think we could get him late. I wonder how they compare to one another. What I want are a bunch of quality players. If Ellis is the same quality of player as Taylor, but likely to go lower, then I'd rather get another position with my second.

I would say they aren't that far off in terms of play. Ellis I've seen everywhere in mocks from 3rd round to 5th round in another he's tough to tell where he'll go more so because of him being a small school guy

---------- Post added March-8th-2011 at 07:22 PM ----------

JoePa kicked Taylor off the team.

I know he was kicked off the team my point was why was he kicked off?

I would say they aren't that far off in terms of play. Ellis I've seen everywhere in mocks from 3rd round to 5th round in another he's tough to tell where he'll go more so because of him being a small school guy

See, my thing (although I know Vinny didn't do a good job with this) is to trade down. Especially now that we have so few picks. So I'd be in favor of trading our first and then trading our second. If we could wind up with multiple pics in the second and third (and possibly fourth) rounds, then I'd be pretty optimistic about us finding playmakers this year. What I don't want is more guys like Perry Riley (maybe he's talented, but I don't know) who don't see practically any playing time their rookie year. Shanny (possibly unwillingly) showed that he's willing to play non first round rookies (although none of our drafted non first rounders), so I'm hoping that we could get some playing time out of some guys like the ones we get in those mid rounds.

But I digress. I've learned not to get my hopes up with the draft and this team. Our first rounders have been decent, but otherwise this team has been nothing worth getting hype about come late April.

Am I the only one wondering why Snyder was at the meeting to evaluate a draft prospect?

Probably not that odd for an owner to be at the combine...let's just trust that he still doesn't make any player decisions. I'm sure he doesn't. Haha, what do we want, to have him locked in a cage all year? Dude's allowed to go to meetings...

Probably not that odd for an owner to be at the combine...let's just trust that he still doesn't make any player decisions. I'm sure he doesn't. Haha, what do we want, to have him locked in a cage all year? Dude's allowed to go to meetings...

I think it's short sighted to not want him there. He owns the team. That means it and it's direction are up to him. He's learning how to draft, how to scout from Shannahan. I want him to learn as much as he can while he can. He's going to have to replace Shanahan one day. Keep that in mind.

Hey guys, Baylor grad here. Been watching Phil Taylor for the past couple years since he transferred from Penn State. The dude is a beast and gets great penetration on the D-Line. He's so dominant he's even been used on offense a few times. Due to the fact that he's coming out of Baylor, which is not known for great defensive prospects outside of Mike Singletary, he'll be a 2nd or 3rd round pick no matter how good he does at the combine or scouts grade him. He has TREMENDOUS value for where we might be able to grab him. I hope Shanny pays attention to this guy.

I hope you're right, but I don't see him lasting past the end of the 1st, early 2nd. The guy is real strong and that will count for alot in the NFL.

I think teams secretly want him much higher than #41. But if he's there, welcome to the Redskins Phil.

I hope you're right, but I don't see him lasting past the end of the 1st, early 2nd. The guy is real strong and that will count for alot in the NFL.

I think teams secretly want him much higher than #41. But if he's there, welcome to the Redskins Phil.

2nd Round at best. Hardly any, if any expert mocks have him being taken in the 1st. Good chance he'll be there when we pick in Round 2.

Yeah that was kinda weird for me too. For a group interview...but... we don't know whether he was just in the group watching while the coaches and Bruce Allen were asking questions. We just know he was present.

A later report came out saying that that was false, Snyder WAS NOT at that interview.

Archived