Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should the NFL get rid of the Pro Bowl?

Ron78

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Okay, so then you still have the problem of not knowing where the Super Bowl will be played until 2 weeks before the date...

Sure, but like I said the NBA, NHL, and MLB all do it this way. None of them know the venue until the last two teams are chosen. The NFL is the only one who pre-selects it's host venue. They still have to deal with all the logistical complexities, but they each seem to sell out with relative ease.

the pro bowl is not goign anywhere. highest ratings in 11 years!

Yeah, I heard that a hour or so ago. I don't really get why so many people want it to be done away with. Just do as I do, and don't watch it! I mean, I can't tell you the last time I watched an entire Pro Bowl. Hell, I usually end up watching only about a quarter of it. All of the all star games, outside of maybe MLB, are a complete joke.

Yeah, I heard that a hour or so ago. I don't really get why so many people want it to be done away with. Just do as I do, and don't watch it! I mean, I can't tell you the last time I watched an entire Pro Bowl. Hell, I usually end up watching only about a quarter of it. All of the all star games, outside of maybe MLB, are a complete joke.

i like the 4th quarter of the nba all star game. i think the MLB one is a joke because the best players usually play the beginning of the game and then leave. at least in the NBA all star everyone gets their fair share of minutes.

i like the 4th quarter of the nba all star game. i think the MLB one is a joke because the best players usually play the beginning of the game and then leave. at least in the NBA all star everyone gets their fair share of minutes.

That's not necessarily true about the MLB game. You see, there are inevitably several starters in each league each year that don't even deserve to start the MLB All Star Game (See: Jeter last year). Obviously, those guys start the game and are gone by the later innings. Oftentimes, there are actually better and more deserving players playing in the later innings. Another reason is because managers like to save some of their best players (especially closers) for later, when the game is actually on the line.

With the NBA game, typically, there is no defense played the entire game. That's the same way the Pro Bowl is. The MLB All Star Game is the closest you get to a regular baseball game. Its easily the best one out there. Especially now that there is more incentive to win the game, since the winner gains homefield throughout playoffs (although, I wasn't a fan of this move).

The idea of an All-Star game, having someone else decide your earned World Series advantage fate, is pathetic and Selig is a moron. How it was approved is beyond me. It's inexcusable.

Exactly.

---------- Post added January-31st-2011 at 07:07 PM ----------

I missed the game yesterday, but see everyone vaguely kvetching about it on Facebook. What happened, did the game suck?

When hasn't it sucked?

Sure, but like I said the NBA, NHL, and MLB all do it this way. None of them know the venue until the last two teams are chosen. The NFL is the only one who pre-selects it's host venue. They still have to deal with all the logistical complexities, but they each seem to sell out with relative ease.

You can't compare the superbowl to the MLB, NHL, or NBA championships bc the NFL only has one game to determine its champ. Can you imagine having homefield advantage for the superbowl? In addition to being pretty unfair for the visiting team, it's a ***** to visiting fans. If I'm a a fan of pretty much any other sport, and my team makes it to the final round of the playoffs, I can go to a game at home OR away, regardless of who has home field. On the same note, both teams get to play home games. Sure, the timing for one team is better, but both get to play at home during the series.

Additionally, who wants to go to a superbowl in Buffalo in the middle of February?? Let's face it, the NFL is a cash machine, and part of what the fans pay for when they attend is the experience and showmanship of it all. You think the NFL will get that kind of spectacle in -15 temps, with a foot of snow on the ground?

Finally, do you think the NFL will continue to allow the superbowl to be played at a venue w/ a capacity of only 60-65,000 people now that there are multiple venues which hold 80,000+?

Have the Probowl after the Superbowl and play it with current NFL rules.

It would still suck. Its still an exhibition. Guys aren't going to go all out in a meaningless game, and possibly risk getting hurt and missing the start of the following season. There's really nothing they can do to make it any better, imo. And hell, the ratings were the highest in 11 years. Why should they do anything?

Well, obviously there are bigger things at play than "I don't like the game so cancel it" from my point of view. Because things are so focused on the actual game, you always have players dropping out for various reasons (injuries, Super Bowl, etc.) and you end up with half the league being considered Pro-Bowlers. I'd rather they name an AFC and NFC all-star team (maybe first- and second-team) and end right there. That way, even if Brady needs surgery on his foot (hypothetically), he's still one of only two AFC Pro-Bowl selections at QB.

The NBA Finals and World Series are not the corporate convention that the Super Bowl is. Fans of the winning teams make up about 35 percent of the crowd.

---------- Post added February-1st-2011 at 10:39 AM ----------

Have the Probowl after the Superbowl and play it with current NFL rules.

Then no one will play. Do you really want Orakpo to tear an ACL in the Pro Bowl?

---------- Post added February-1st-2011 at 10:40 AM ----------

The idea of an All-Star game, having someone else decide your earned World Series advantage fate, is pathetic and Selig is a moron. How it was approved is beyond me. It's inexcusable.

I agree. It's the worst idea baseball has had in 30 years.

I say no, because I actually like having some kind of game on before the SB. I think 2 weeks is too long of a wait to play the SB anyway, but I understand they have to have media day and all that BS. But the teams spend 1 week at home and then come to the SB city, so why not a week break? If they ever did get rid of the Pro Bowl, it wouldn't bother me, but I kind of like it in between. Just keep it in Hawaii.

Everyone needs to stop taking the Pro Bowl so seriously. It is nothing more than an exhibition game & should be fun for the players. It doesn't need to be anything more than that. The things that really bother me as a fan are the obvious tilting of the rules to favor the offense and/or hinder the defensive over the last 30 yrs; the over protection of the QB & receivers; the blatant holding allowed by offensive linemen. But the thing that bothers me the most is how the NFL has been run by pansies over the last few decades. You can't touch the QB but the QB is allowed to block; You can't put a big hit a receiver to separate him from the ball; No touchdown celebrations because you might hurt the other teams feelings. I'm getting sick of seeing flags for roughing the QB when a defenders hand happens to gently brush the QBs helmet like he hit him with a sledge hammer. I thank that it absolutey idiotic that a TD celebration gets the same penalty as a cheap shot after the play is over. The rule that say a QB can throw the ball away if he is outside the tackles is another idiotic rule. I hate how the majority of officials let QBs throw balls 20 to 30 yrds out of bounds & don't flag them for intentional grounding. There are many thing that bother me about todays game & the players not playing hard in the Pro Bowl is the least of them.

Dude, c'mon, they half-ass it through most of the game. And without all the regular rules, its a joke. I can't believe people actually think these games are real football.

Didn't you say you haven't watched a pro bowl for years?

Yet you are going to tell me, who DID watch it, that what I watched wasn't exciting?

Yes - Through about 3 qtrs the game was played half ass...that 4th qtr was played hard.... Why not? It was close, the players would rather have the extra 25k then not have it, and they were playing GREAT!

But again -You didn't watch it but please tell me more about how I didn't enjoy it....

Yet you are going to tell me, who DID watch it, that what I watched wasn't exciting?

Yes - Through about 3 qtrs the game was played half ass...that 4th qtr was played hard.... Why not? It was close, the players would rather have the extra 25k then not have it, and they were playing GREAT!

But again -You didn't watch it but please tell me more about how I didn't enjoy it....

I watched it... boring.

I said I hadn't watched an ENTIRE Pro Bowl in years. And I don't care if you watched the entire game or not, its still a meaningless game. Very few players actually take it seriously. No blitzes. No WR's in motion. No hitting on extra points. ITS NOT REAL FOOTBALL!...But keep telling yourself that its exciting lol.

Archived