Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do You Believe the Underwear Bomber was Allowed on Flight 253 by the US Government?

Fergasun

The source of the question comes from the blog maintained by Kurt Haskell, who maintain that a sharp-dressed-man allowed the underwear bomber to bypass security procedures and get on a plane with no passport. The rationale is that the US Government wasn't interested in the "underwear bomber", they were interested in busting the cell that he was a part of. They wanted to observe his movements more to see what "bigger fish" they could potentially catch. Perhaps they didn't know he had an underwear bomb on at the time? Part of the reason this guy is so adamant is that the 200+ hours of security footage from the Amsterdam Airport has never been publicly released, or he has never been given a private viewing of the video.

I think there is plausibility behind the story, however; its also plausible he was observing a different passenger and the "sharp-dressed-man" had nothing to do with this The problem is, only intelligence folks know the truth. Given that no one has leaked any other explanation (this man was helping another person get through security), it gives the story more plausibility. This is the type of thing that comes out after 50 years (hopefully).

Letting the guy pass through security and board the plane is plausible, if stopping him would have compromised an active existing investigation at a crucial stage. But letting the plane take off knowing there was a guy on there with a bomb ready to detonate in flight is ludicrous, absent communications which show agents discussing this scenario.

Letting the guy pass through security and board the plane is plausible, if stopping him would have compromised an active existing investigation at a crucial stage. But letting the plane take off knowing there was a guy on there with a bomb ready to detonate in flight is ludicrous, absent communications which show agents discussing this scenario.
I think there's a question as to whether they knew he was wearing an underwear bomb at the time. I'm not saying its part of a big conspiracy to give contracts out to corporations who build the scanners; but a fairly routine USG investigation technique gone wrong.

By the govt is a real stretch...as a result of our consideration for certain groups not being targeted is much more believable.

ya need to look at why he was allowed without proper docs and what the intervention by the man was

I think there's a question as to whether they knew he was wearing an underwear bomb at the time. I'm not saying its part of a big conspiracy to give contracts out to corporations who build the scanners; but a fairly routine USG investigation technique gone wrong.

If they knew he had a bomb and let him on the plane how would that let them advance the investigation?

...And if they didn't know he had a bomb, why let him skip security altogether? Wouldn't that tip him off (and by extension his cell) that we knew who he was and were watching him?

Pretty suspect and flimsy, imo. I don't buy it

I think the government "lets" everyone on get on a US bound plane. Was the sharp dressed man wearing a tuxedo and sipping a Martini? That makes it even less believable. If anything an activity like described is MORE likely to be leaked. Someone with access to the information would disagree with the actions.
James Bond betrayed us!!!! :(

bond.jpg

I'm certain of it.

The government is full of people who are fascinated by my crotch. (Just like other people. Everywhere I go, I can tell, people are trying to get close to my crotch.) They've always wanted to get at my crotch.

Letting him on the plane was their way of creating an excuse, to give the government an excuse to try to see and feel my crotch. I'm certain of it.

No.

Now put the tin foil away, it looks silly on your head.

Huh? Did you actually read the premise or just post based on the title of the thread? If the guy was considered a small fish who could lead CIA/DHS/whatever to a bigger fish, I can see them letting him go around security if they thought he might be delivering something to the bigger fish, rather than actually trying to get onboard with a bomb. We "use" small fish to bring down the big ones all the time.

I'm certain of it.

The government is full of people who are fascinated by my crotch. (Just like other people. Everywhere I go, I can tell, people are trying to get close to my crotch.) They've always wanted to get at my crotch.

Letting him on the plane was their way of creating an excuse, to give the government an excuse to try to see and feel my crotch. I'm certain of it.

Good gawd. I guess the point is; if this guy is full of tin, than it would be easy to disprove. Of course part of the problem is the surveillance video is evidence in the upcoming trial.... snap! Just had the revelation that the fact this may or may not be introduced into evidence could be why the video is not going to be public anytime soon. That makes a lot *more* sense than "government is hiding something".... not too familiar with how criminal trials go and all but I can't imagine evidence gets released like that.

As to the OP:

I have a lot of trouble believing that the government has compromised a terrorist and is attempting to "roll up" his fellows, by having a "sharp dressed man" walk around in front of the terrorist opening doors for him.

Although, granted, governments have been known to do really dumb things, from time to time.

From ABC News:

Federal agents also tell ABCNews.com they are attempting to identify a man who passengers said helped Abdulmutallab change planes for Detroit when he landed in Amsterdam from Lagos, Nigeria. Authorities had initially discounted the passenger accounts, but the agents say there is a growing belief the man have played a role to make sure Abdulmutallab "did not get cold feet."

There's something to this blogger's story...

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/female-suicide-bombers-heading-yemen/story?id=9636341&page=2

From ABC News:

Federal agents also tell ABCNews.com they are attempting to identify a man who passengers said helped Abdulmutallab change planes for Detroit when he landed in Amsterdam from Lagos, Nigeria. Authorities had initially discounted the passenger accounts, but the agents say there is a growing belief the man have played a role to make sure Abdulmutallab "did not get cold feet."

There's something to this blogger's story...

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/female-suicide-bombers-heading-yemen/story?id=9636341&page=2

It's infinitely more likely that was a handler of theirs, not ours. Making sure he got on the right plane.

~Bang

It's infinitely more likely that was a handler of theirs, not ours. Making sure he got on the right plane.

~Bang

Oh I agree. But some were discounting the story completely. The claims of the blogger who was a passenger who saw the incident had been dismissed by government officials and by the media at first.

BTW, "Crotch Bombers" would be a good name for a rock band.

Although, (trying hard to pull myself away from making fun of conspiracy theories), am I reading correctly that a person with no luggage, a cash ticket purchased at the last minute, was allowed to board an international flight, bound for the US, at an international airport in a modern country, without going through security, without a passport?

I can see how that might lead to some conspiracy theories.

Let me get this straight, since there have been no leaks confirming or refuting this guy's theory it makes it more believable?

Some of you really need to get out and experience the world firsthand, stop reading blogs of random people that have no knowledge of the situation, but they like to reach for some grand conspiracy that simply doesn't exist.

If the conspiracy theories that are out there were true, how does this organization that has orchestrated the assassination of JFK, the moon landing, 9/11, and the like fail so epically at covering up the death of Pat Tillman? I mean, this cover-up only involved a handful of people, yet it still blew-up catastrophically in the face of those behind it in a matter of months.

From a House Committee Hearing:

When questioned by Committee Chairman Bennie Thompson (D-MS), Kennedy told the panel, "We will revoke the visa of any individual who is a threat to the United States, but we do take one preliminary step." Kennedy explained, "We ask our law enforcement and intelligence community partners, 'Do you have eyes on this person and do you want us to let this person proceed under your surveillance so that you may potentially break a larger plot?'" The Undersecretary added: "And one of the members [of the intelligence community]--and we'd be glad to give you that [information] ... in private [closed session]--said, 'Please, do not revoke this visa. We have eyes on this person. We are following this person who has the visa for the purpose of trying to roll up an entire network, not just stop one person.'"
Of course, with the change of Congress it looks like the hearing archives has been deleted or destroyed (this is one of my pet peeves). So there's no way to see if there is a transcript available.

Well, I found an internet location of the hearing: http://homeland.edgeboss.net/wmedia/homeland/chs/flight253.wvx

It looks like he was flagged but his Visa wasn't revoked... the State Dept statement makes no indication of that; however that's one of the games Congress and the Executive Branch always seem to play.

Although, (trying hard to pull myself away from making fun of conspiracy theories), am I reading correctly that a person with no luggage, a cash ticket purchased at the last minute, was allowed to board an international flight, bound for the US, at an international airport in a modern country, without going through security, without a passport?

I can see how that might lead to some conspiracy theories.

I was in Saudi back in 2003 and got the word that my wife was in labor and to come home. I was at a party 45 minutes away from the airport and the last flight of the evening was taking off in 1 hour. While in a cab to the airport I called this lebenese guy who handles issues for the company I was working for. Macrum... Macrum told me to turn around and come get him. Told him no could do, he was 20 minutes in the wrong direction; Time was too tight. He calls me back and says "I've worked the whole thing out... you're good to go"... I'm still in the car speeding to the airport, no clue what Macrum meant....

Get to the airport, less than 10 minutes before the flight, no ticket; no exit visa and still have to get through security. 5 people in front of me at swiss air counter; two swiss air guys working the ticket counter. As soon as I walk up one of the swiss air guy closes down. Anyway the swiss air guy who closed his terminal walks up to me in the back of the line, asks my name, then walks me around the back through his desk right around airport security. Puts me on my plane in a business class seat. I don't have an exist visa or a ticket for the plane. Like 2 minutes before takes off. The guy says give me your passport and your other ticket ( had a full fair ticket to a different flight).... I hesitate because I don't want to get to the layover without a passport or a ticket... but do hand him the documents. I had never went through security....

The plane waits there for five minutes and just as they are shutting the door the guy returns... sticks his leg in the door, bargess onto the plane and hands me my ticket, exit visa, and passport.... Says to tell Macrum he was helpful, then gets off the plane.

Latter I asked Macrum how did that guy even recognize me... Macrum said, Told him to look for the biggest palest white guy he had ever seen. My experience with International Airport security.....

Still I don't believe any Western Intelligence agency would allow a potential bomber on a flight to the US.... Even if they didn't think he had a bomb. Those folks live in constant fear of showing up on the front page of the Washington Post. And such an activity would definently land them there... They would never allow it. It fails their basic litmus test.

Archived