Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you agree with WP ranking of 2012 Republican candidates?

88Comrade2000

My favorite GOPer right now is Coburn. I've always thought that Newt was unelectable, but when put next to Palin, he ain't half bad. I ended up voting for Romney in the primaries 4 years ago. Daniels and Pawlenty are intriguing. Right now I'd give consideration to any candidate who holds Coburn's endorsement (pending who that will be). I think Coburn would be a pretty decent VP. He shot up in my book quite a bit based on his questioning of Elena Kagan, he was polite and thoughtful. Even though he is as right wing as they come, he wasn't disrespectful like other Senators *cough*Sessions*cough*. I hope that Rand Paul turns out to be more like Coburn... of course its easy to be polite when you don't have much opposition in your district. Given the guy I like most isn't running (not his fault, I wouldn't want to be President)... not sure what I'm going to do.

Voting for 4 more years of Obama would not be a bad choice if the GOP is going to re-take the Senate...

No. Its just hard to say. Huckabee, Gingrich and their SEC cohorts have a stronger strengh of schedule. While Rick "Big Ten" Santorum is gonna look good in primaries but he'll never show up on election day. Romney and Palin never play anyone good. In short, we need a playoff.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/the-line/skipping-iowa.html

Well, they ranked the Top 10 potential 2012 Republican candidates; agree or disagree.

10. Rick Santorum

9. Jon Huntsman

8. John Thune

7. Mitch Daniels

6. Haley Barbour

5. Tim Pawlenty

4. Mike Huckabee

3. Newt Gingrich

2. Sarah Palin

1. Mitt Romney

It's widely believed that Pawlenty, and Romney will run, I've not heard anything about the others. And I pray to God Newt stays out of it. The guy is sometimes clever, but He's a major risk IMO. I like Huckabee, but he better not run again. I think he's damaged pretty badly from 2008. I'm still waiting on Palin to say she's in or not until you says otherwise, I'm keeping my options open.

They said that even before he got sick.

He has a artificial one

added

On a more serious note

Could you imagine the Dem attacks on Huntsman?

Clearly they couldn't go the idiot route so evil capitalist genius would be dragged out.

I'd like to see him,Bolton and Newt in the running just to step up the level of debate.

Cheney still has his old ticker, they implanted a pump or somewhat thing to help him with his heart. Cheney said himself in a recent interview that he probably will need a new heart. I think it was on Meet the Press.

I would eliminate Palin from that list as well as Romney, they're both failures from the past cycle. I'm not even sure Palin would want the chance, at least I pray she passes on it. Gingrich, while he's very intelligent, may be too divisive though he did a great job collaborating with Clinton back in 1996. I don't know enough about the others to comment.

Any of the 10?

Just who do you want?

I think I'd be happy with Coburn or Pence, maybe... That's a big maybe. In my heart of hearts I'd want Ron Paul, but we all know this is incredibly unlikely. My dream candidate doesn't exist: A vibrant, young person who can express most of the libertarian/conservative ideas that Ron Paul espouses without sounding like and coming off as a crazy old man. Ron Paul is simply past his prime, the Liberty movement needs someone younger and more articulate to carry the standard. That person has not been found yet, and therefore until that person shows up, I'll continue to pencil in the name Thomas Jefferson. Actually, I might mix things up a bit and vote for Coolidge in this election.

It's widely believed that Pawlenty, and Romney will run, I've not heard anything about the others. And I pray to God Newt stays out of it. The guy is sometimes clever, but He's a major risk IMO. I like Huckabee, but he better not run again. I think he's damaged pretty badly from 2008. I'm still waiting on Palin to say she's in or not until you says otherwise, I'm keeping my options open.

How was Huckabee damaged in 2008? He wasn't expected to be a major player, yet managed to turn into one, and a lot of people believe that he's the reason Romney didn't win. I'd actually give him some of the best odds of anyone on the list in the OP.

Also, you might want to re-think your hopes for Newt. I don't think he has a shot in hell of actually getting nominated, but if he runs he'll add an interesting voice and some creative ideas to the debates that other candidates will be forced to address.

I think I'd be happy with Coburn or Pence, maybe... That's a big maybe. In my heart of hearts I'd want Ron Paul, but we all know this is incredibly unlikely. My dream candidate doesn't exist: A vibrant, young person who can express most of the libertarian/conservative ideas that Ron Paul espouses without sounding like and coming off as a crazy old man. Ron Paul is simply past his prime, the Liberty movement needs someone younger and more articulate to carry the standard. That person has not been found yet, and therefore until that person shows up, I'll continue to pencil in the name Thomas Jefferson. Actually, I might mix things up a bit and vote for Coolidge in this election.

Gary Johnson's younger, at least.

The problem with the GOP field is nobody stands out but the top four, but none of them are particularly hot candidates. You could add Jindal, Bolton, Guiliani and Bachmann as well. I think Pawlenty and Thune are both risers. A lot of people like Daniels and Barbour as well, but none of the four are known nationally. I guess that's what primaries are for.

I'd vote for any of Jindal, Guiliani, Thune, Pawlenty, Newt, Daniels, Barbour and Romney before I ever voted for Obama, so I"m not really pressed.

In the end, the real question is whether Christie decides to run. If he does, he's the odds on favorite to win the nomination.

Third, there isn't anyone on that list that I find myself ready to run through a brick wall to support. Pawlenty is probably the closest, but I probably won't get really pumped until the McDonnell 2016 campaign gets underway.

I completly agree and it pains me to say this but i think the GOP might not run a great candidate cause i think they want a McDonnell or I think a better candidate Scott Brown in 16.

Brown is making moves within the party and is becoming a rising name.

They wouldn't want McConnell or Brown (he'd never make it through the primary). GOP may be angling for Christie in 2016. I know some people who have a political theory that the parties will intentionally throw presidential elections now for the next one. Of course they said that McCain was a "throw the game" candidate in 2008. It seems like the GOP maintains their lead in the House and picks up the Senate... I'd rather have divided government than give one party all 3 branches. I say "one party" as if there were real, meaningful differences between the parties. Okay; there are some but there's enough similarities. One piece of legislation (health care reform) sticks out in my mind as kind've a "moons aligning" event.

At this point, I think I like Pawlenty the most. I just read this article over at Real Clear Politics and he comes out sounding like a solid leader:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2011/01/31/steel_deal_reveals_pawlentys_priorities_on_security_jobs_108711.html

But if we get a Republican controlled House and Senate, I would rather Obama stay on as president.

In somewhat related news

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/48533.html

Jon M. Huntsman Jr., the U.S. ambassador to China, sent a resignation letter to President Barack Obama on Monday, the White House said. Huntsman now is likely to explore a Republican presidential bid, according to supporters.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/48533.html#ixzz1CiGt561I

Huntsman boasts the most foreign policy experience of any of the likely GOP candidates, and would be a formidable entry to the unformed GOP field. He had a fiscally conservative record as governor, opposes abortion and is a strong supporter of gun owners’ rights.

The ambassador has moderate views on gay rights and the environment, which would be an asset in a general election but could be a hurdle in the primaries. In a campaign, Huntsman could be expected to point out that he has created jobs in both the private and public sectors.

Interesting now with two Mormons in the raise what does the religous right do.

You seem way to hung up on the fact that some are Mormons. I really doubt that a candidate's religion would have much impact on most voters. Of course, there will always be some who make that an issue, but it's not a huge percentage of the overall voting population

It's their principles, historical actions and future plans that most are concerned with.

Archived