Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Define a "good character guy"

Lombardi's_kid_brother

Since all the talk is of off-season moves and overall philosophies, I would be curious what the definition of "good character guys" is. Because you are going to hear that a ton in the next ten days or so on the Supe Bowl.

Is it just avoding off-the-field problems? Because TO and OchoCinco have never been arrested or in any sort of trouble.

Is it being a workout freak? Because that would include TO, James Harrison (who was arrested for domestic violence), and DeAngelo Hall.

Is it being quiet in the locker-room? Because that actually seems to be the case with Albert Haynesworth.

Is it playing hard? Is it playing clean?

You are going hear a lot about the Steelers' "character" this week. Yet, their QB has been accused of sexual assault twice, their star wide receiver was voted the diritest player in the league by his peers, DPOY OLB is a cheap-shot artist and an accused domestic batterer, their last star WR had multiple violations of the league drug policy, both their safeties have been accused of being cheap shot artists, and the NT has multiple drunk athlete pics on the Internet.

Yet, they seem to be a resilent, hard-working bunch with few locker room problems.

So...what is "character" in relation to sports?

(I honestly don't know the answer to this. Hines Ward is a slow college QB with no ACLs who somehow became a HOF-level wide receiver. He have to have an incredible work ethic to pull that off. Yet, he is a ****y ******* who tries to injure defensive backs).

I would say it's a grouping of all those things. Not just avoiding off the field problems, but avoiding "spolighting" yourself in the media the way T.O. and Johnson (I'm not calling him Ocho anymore) do. The workouts don't really have much to do with it, except possibly showing up for all the workouts and putting in an honest hard workout. You don't really have to be quiet in the locker room, you should step up and be as much of a leader as you can, but again, you don't become a media whore. Playing hard and clean are part of it too. It's a conglomeration of everything, but the biggest thing, I think, would be staying away from the "look at me" attitude.

id say in my head, a good character guy is someone that stays out of trouble, is on par with maturity for his age, or more mature than his peers, has his head on straight, and gives football the focus that it requires to succeed. He is a team player that is not selfish, respectful and just an all around good person.

I'm speaking generally.

Riggo didn't care about stats and put the team first. He also showed up to practice drunk. Was he a good character guy?

I actually think this is a very good topic.

But I think, as hypocritical as it may be, it can be different for different people.

If you're a distraction (meaning you always need to spotlight) I don't like your character.

If you can sit in the background (or be a vocal leader without demanding that every move you make is documented), and show a work ethic, I think you're a good character guy.

Bringing negative attention to the team is not the trait of a good character guy... But I believe you can reestablish yourself to be a good character guy in some circumstances.

I don't believe a guy like TO could ever be a good character guy. Throwing teammates under the bus is generally frowned upon. His actions "hurt" on others and himself.

A guy like Ben Roethlisberger has made some generally bad decisions, but mostly decisions that only hurt him. If he were convicted of rape, I'd easily tell you that he's not a good character guy. But he's brought more on himself than others. I wouldn't say he's a good character guy, but I'd say he's somewhere in between.

A good character guy is someone whom I wouldn't mind my kids modeling themselves after. You can be really nice with all of the talent in the world, not work for what you want, and I wouldn't want my kids to be like you.

You could be a two-time Super Bowl champion and a rapist, and I don't want my kids to be anything like you.

You can be a third-string kick returner who fights his guts out to stay on the team, and I'd want my kids to be just like you.

It's not that difficult for me: Do right, leave it better than you found it, and work hard. It's unfortunate that that eliminates a good swath of the NFL.

Awesome thread LKB. I think this is a terrific topic. While I think ultimately it matters at every position in your organization, since we are in the market for a QB, I think it should be noted that no other position requires a "good character guy" more than that one. He is the leader of the team, his moral compass, work ethic and professionalism will run throughout the entire team.

I look at the Patriots in alot of ways regarding what "character" means. Sure, you don't want guys who are off the field problems. That's a baseline. But in the football world, its more than that. Its doing the right thing consistently. Its a LOVE for football. Its someone who has their priorities in order. God, Family, Football is how alot of the great coaches in history put it. But basically, the thought is that I want a guy who loves the game, has a burning desire to win but would never cheat to do so. Honorable. A guy who wants to win by outworking the other guy. Alot of people think Character guys are different than talent guys like those two things are mutually exclusive. They aren't.

When you get both out of a guy, namely top shelf talent with top shelf work ethic and priorities you have a winner on your hands. Cam Newton worries me for just this reason. This money scandal is a sign. I won't say it precludes one from drafting the guy but its a red flag in my opinion. Its a guy who is looking for a short cut. A guy who doesn't play by the rules. Extend that logically outward. That CAN (doesn't have to) translate to a guy who won't work hard. A guy who will use PED's to get the advantage over his competition rather than outworking him. A guy who won't be patient and develop properly. Neededing $200,000 to commit to a college when you know damn well its against the rules AND that in two or three years you'll make millions shows impatience. It shows a lack of character in my opinion. And he's a quarterback. Again, if there is any position that REALLY needs character its the QB.

A character guy sees time properly as well. He understands that his time in the NFL is short. Its only a piece of his life. These kids who go out and get in trouble in clubs etc don't know how to delay gratification. The NFL career is over in their 30s. If they HAVE to party like a rock star when they are in their 20's its because they can't see past the nose on their face and realize that they have time for that but that the opportunity they have now must be taken advantage of. A character guy has maturity beyond his years.

Lastly, he is a 'team' guy. He has humility. Its not "me", its "us". Its the guy who gives his recievers, RB, and o-line the credit when they win and blames himself when they lose. There is a huge difference (albeit a subtle one) between self confidence and arrogance/pride. I want a guy who every time he steps on that field believes he can lead his team to victory but a guy who knows without a shadow of a doubt that his success is linked inextricably to every other member of the organization, from the guy who cleans his uniform to the ownership.

Sure, I want talent. But as the old saying goes, "Hardwork beats talent when talent doesn't work hard".

A good character guy is all for the team, the fanbase, and the community. I think its more than just staying out of the spotlight (although I wish it were even that for some of our players), but its being a role model not just to kids but other professional athletes.

I wish we had the following 3 personas on our team:

The Golden Boy: the flawless hero who can't be stopped (prefferably for offense)

The Mr Everything: Aka Alexander

The Bully: Someone ruthless and ugly to do away with the flashiness that now rules the NFL. Someone like Clay Matthews, Harrison, or our own ST21 RIP

I think fans will put up with just about anything from their heros as long as it isn't selfishness and putting their own needs above the Team.

Rapist? Fine. Murderer? Fine. Beat your wife? Cool.

Don't want to play the 3-4? I wish a pox on your first born you piece of human filth.

I think fans will put up with just about anything from their heros as long as it isn't selfishness and putting their own needs above the Team.

Don't want to play the 3-4? I wish a pox on your first born you piece of human filth.

I just want guys you play balls out and with violence but are not magnets for penalties or dumb mistakes. I call it the LT Zone. Lawrence Taylor would spend the week before a game in a Newark hotel room with a bag of cocaine and three mixed-race hookers. And he would show up on Sunday, knowing the playbook and ready to dismember the QB.

I'm cool with that.

Also, I want players who take PEDs AND work hard.

There is no way on earth that James Harrison is not on something. LOOK AT HIM! At the same time, I get the impression that he works harder than any other LB in the league during the week.

A good character guy is someone whom I wouldn't mind my kids modeling themselves after. You can be really nice with all of the talent in the world, not work for what you want, and I wouldn't want my kids to be like you.

You could be a two-time Super Bowl champion and a rapist, and I don't want my kids to be anything like you.

You can be a third-string kick returner who fights his guts out to stay on the team, and I'd want my kids to be just like you.

It's not that difficult for me: Do right, leave it better than you found it, and work hard. It's unfortunate that that eliminates a good swath of the NFL.

i get the impression when i read your posts that i probably wouldnt like you as a person.... however.... a post like this impresses me very much and i agree with your take 1000%

Also' date=' I want players who take PEDs AND work hard.

There is no way on earth that James Harrison is not on something. LOOK AT HIM! At the same time, I get the impression that he works harder than any other LB in the league during the week.[/quote']

Romo sits to pee, Romo sits to pee, Romo sits to pee, Romo sits to pee, Romo sits to pee.... !!!!

And for the record, any 300 lbs fatass who runs a sub 5 40 is on something. Which is pretty much every lineman in the NFL.

And I can tell you from experience up here near Pittsburgh, that's the damn truth. Last year the Steelers missed the playoffs and this offseason Roethlisberger had his most recent sexual assault accusation. In August, the fans wanted him gone. After the Steelers went 3-1 without him, the one loss being by 3 points to the Ravens, Steelers fans wanted him traded while he still had value. Right now? He's a hero again and you counldn't find a person willing to man up and admit they wanted him gone/traded. Harrison: domestic violence, DPOY-guess which one people care about more? Jeff Reed was a moron who was always in the news with his latest drunken escapades, but as long as he made those kicks they would look the other way; it was only when he started missing kicks going 15-22 that the fans turned on him and wanted him cut (and yes, his off field incidents were brought up as part of the reason he should be gone).

Every fan claims to want "character guys" on the team, but 99% of fans would be more than happy with a team made up of 53 convicted felons so long as that team won the Lombardi.

Archived