Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

UPDATE DAY 3: Senior Bowl Practice Observations and Interviews for Skins....

heliKCx17

Well, this may be disappointing to those who like Devlin, but Locker has been interviewed twice by the Redskins. I also love the idea of taking Greg Jones in the 2nd, or 3rd if we get another pick. The guy plays like a poor man's Patrick Willis, but if Willis is a 10 the guy plays like an 8, and has tremendous upside. I also LOVE Casey Matthews, he may not be his brother, but he has the same motor and he would be great on the inside of our 3-4. I am surprised the Skins haven't been looking into D-Lineman, but there are still three days left. I will update as updates come in!

Could this be a sign of us seeing lots of d-lineman available in FA with a plan to target them hard? If so, it would make sense, spend most of our resources on getting added depth/prospects at other positions of need.

I do like that we interviewed a Guard. His profile isn't that of a prospect, but someone who could be a guy that just never ever ****s up and blows an assignment. Short arms don't bother me for a guard, Russ Grimm had short arms. Seems like a potential practice squad player that could wind up making the 53 man roster. I like it.

Yea, that won't happen, it could have been a convenience scout if the scouts were there for someone else.

Or you scout him because you never know what is going to happen before or during the draft. Just because you are currently flush at a position doesn't mean you stop looking at players for that position.

Any chance we would take Locker in the 1st and someone like McElroy in the later rounds? The Cowboys did something similar in the late-80s with Aikman and Walsh.

Actually the Cowboys picked Walsh with a 1st round pick in the supplemental draft (Giving up the following years #1 - in other words they blew a 1st on Walsh).

Actually the Cowboys picked Walsh with a 1st round pick in the supplemental draft (Giving up the following years #1 - in other words they blew a 1st on Walsh).

And using 2 first round picks on two seperate QB's ensured them they would find a good one...kinda refreshing thought

Shannahan didn't draft Elway, he drafted Cutler.

I would also add that Elway learned the QB position in one era, played the first part of his NFL career in another and finished in a third. To look honestly at Elway's career, you really need to have a good grasp of what went on in football in terms of how the passing game worked from about 1975 to 1994.

aikman and walsh were BOTH first rounders.. Aikman was the first overall pick and then Walsh was taken inthe supplemental draft as a first rounder.. he was then traded to New Orleans for multiple picks helping Jimmy Johnson get to the Superbowl.. and the Saints ? Walsh totally flamed out setting their franchise back

Yep, closer (in fact, I'd say VERY close) was what the Redskins did in 1994 by taking Heath in the first and Gus later.

I dont see that as the same at all. The Cowboys took Aikmen first overall and then used their next years first rounder on Walsh in the supplemental draft in the same year. I thought that was mad then and I think its mad now.

WIth us we took Shuler in the first (5th pick IIRC) but Gus was a 6th or 7th round pick and he was brought in as a potential backup not as a hedge in case Shuler was a bust. Thats not close to using two first round picks the same year on a QB in my opinion.

Just heard on 106.7 the Fan that our representatives showed interest in WR Titus Young recently. If we were to draft only one WR not in the 1st round...It would be this guy Young. I think he will have a great future in the NFL.

He is a replica of Santana Moss. I don't understand why we would be interested. But, he is showing off fantastic hands at the SB. I guy like Hankerson in the 2nd/3rd would make more sense. Great route runner, solid hands, 6'2" and runs a 4.5

If we want any chance of trading back we have to make it appear that we're very interested in Locker.

This makes no sense, if its our intent. If you show too much interest, you're going to entice a team to trade up in FRONT of you. How does that benefit anyone, unless you want a talented player of a different position to fall? That isn't what you're saying, though.

---------- Post added January-26th-2011 at 04:44 PM ----------

Also, how can anyone question that Locker is 100% dedicated to football? One of his main "strengths" as a prospect are his "intangibles"....you can't say that about a player who isn't dedicated. In fact, I'd say that this article shows that he's quite dedicated:

http://uwfootball.sportspressnw.com/2011/01/25/lockers-mobile-journey-shows-how-far-hes-come/

Especially this quote:

And what is he trying to prove in Mobile and beyond?
“My competitive nature, that I’m a coachable guy, and that I’m always improving.”

Shanahan is going to love that. They need a guy who is willing, and able, to be molded.

I dont see that as the same at all. The Cowboys took Aikmen first overall and then used their next years first rounder on Walsh in the supplemental draft in the same year. I thought that was mad then and I think its mad now.

WIth us we took Shuler in the first (5th pick IIRC) but Gus was a 6th or 7th round pick and he was brought in as a potential backup not as a hedge in case Shuler was a bust. Thats not close to using two first round picks the same year on a QB in my opinion.

How is this proposal: "...take Locker in the 1st and someone like McElroy in the later rounds..." not very close to what we did in '94?

How is this proposal: "...take Locker in the 1st and someone like McElroy in the later rounds..." not very close to what we did in '94?

It is very close, but it doesn't compare to what the Cowboys did, which is what he was really responding to, I think.

It is very close, but it doesn't compare to what the Cowboys did, which is what he was really responding to, I think.

Your right - I was pointing out taking two first round QBs the same year is very different from taking one first rounder and one in the 6th or 7th round

I will continue to say we need to take Nate Solder. The dude will be a pro bowler year after year, and will fill a need at RT

According to what's been said he's been disappointing. Also look at FA and watch the name Ryan Harris at RT. He was a Shanny draftee in Denver and was a very good RT for him, watch for him to be the guy if we lose Brown to FA

What about Kyle's influence? Clearly Kyle has some control over the QB position as evidenced by the debacle this year.

In addition we're not running the same system Mike ran out in Denver w/ Elway.

Kyle's influence is somewhat enigmatic... but he still cut his teeth as a coordinator running a variant of the offensive scheme his father employed in Denver. The systems (Kyle's with Kubiak in Houston, Mike's in Denver, or both here) may not be exactly the same but no successful system ever remains stagnant, so for all intents and purposes it is the same system with a few new wrinkles.

Then how do you explain him bending over backwards to take a QB nothing like them (Cutler)?

You don't see any similarities? Both are mobile, have a gunslinger mentality, played for lackluster college teams, and are even roughly the same size.

I'd say it goes back even farther, to his days as a college assistant and maybe even his playing days.

Most likely it does to some extent. It's just a little bit harder to put a finger on anything that happened before he got to the NFL.

That would be close to what we did back in 94.

I guess it wasn't clear that I was referring to the original proposal, sorry.

---------- Post added January-26th-2011 at 04:58 PM ----------

Most likely it does to some extent. It's just a little bit harder to put a finger on anything that happened before he got to the NFL.

I'm an old guy. I actually played in an offense similar to the ones he ran as a college assistant (though I did look up where he actually coached).

Archived