Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

19 Years: What were you doing January 26th 1992?

SkinsHokieFan

19 years ago today was the last time the Redskins played in and won the Superbowl. I had just turned 10 years old and still remember that day like it was yesterday.

It was a cold, frigid night in DC and I watched the game in my parents bedroom. Being that young I never really felt nervous about Redskins game (in particular that season) and once we went up 24-0 at the early stages of the 3rd quarter, knew it was over and simply a matter of time.

I remember hearing fireworks in the neighborhood after the Redskins won.

Now, to show how futile we have been the last 19 years, just compare it to the previous 19 years.

In that time frame the Redskins went to 5 Superbowl (7, 17, 18, 22, 26) winning 3 of them.

In that same time period the Redskins won the NFC East 6 times (72, 82,83,84,87,91) played in 25 playoff games, going 17-8 in that span in the playoffs.

Yes, there actually was a 19 year period where the Redskins were one of the most dominant teams in the NFL. The 5 Superbowl apperances was the most of any team in the NFL in that 19 year time period.

The last 19 years have been far different.

3 playoff apperances (1999, 2005, 2007)

2 playoff wins (1999, 2005) for a record of 2-3

1 division titles (1999)

In case anyone forgot that night in Minneapolis, here it is

0FfuS_XoedQ

I was going crazy that year. Although it was, by far, our most dominant year that I was old enough to follow from start to finish (I was only 6 for the 1983 season), I felt so much more stress in 1991 than I did in 1987. The Super Bowl against the Bills was a must-win for me as a fan. I could tell that Dallas was nipping at our heels and we had way too great a season to NOT win the Super Bowl. For me, 1987 was more fun since we were not as dominant and not the team expected to win it all.

In fact, the special thing about the 1991 season/Super Bowl is that it was the only time in my lifetime that we were the front-runner from day 1 (predicted to win it all by many people) and we met those expectations. The only other time we were predicted to win it all and came close was probably 1983.

Anyway, that game was so fun to watch. We got off to a slow start and spoiled a great Art Monk drive early in the game. He had 3-4 catches for 50-60 yards and a near-TD (correctly overturned by replay). We had to settle for a FG attempt and we botched the snap. Then, in the second quarter we turned it on and built a 17-point halftime lead (thanks to great balance of offense and defense). The opening drive of the third quarter ended the competitive phase of the Super Bowl when Gouveia intercepted Kelly and set us up inside the 5. Seconds later it was 24-0 and it was 37-10 before the Bills scored some cosmetic TDs.

Great memories...even if we never get to that level again, it's nice having that season be our best in franchise history and being 14 and able to appreciate every, single play from that year!

My sister was the team babysitter and was at the game... She was holding Mark Rypiens youngest daughter in her arms while she was sound asleep while her daddy was on the big stage. I still rock the Super Bowl champion Jacket that my sister gave me.

that is pretty awesome.

that is pretty awesome.

It is pretty cool for sure, Rypien bought us our dog that we recently had to put down :( Ive got tons of stories from back in the day of hanging out with the good ol' boys at a few team parties and in the players family and friends section of the games

I was 9. I've got pictures from that night that i look at all the time. I was in my Alf pajamas, watching the game with my dad in the basement. LOL

Man oh man, was that a long time ago. I hope that we can have a reason to scream like that again in the near future. I would love to create memories like that with my kids...

I was a senior in high school and had a superbowl party at my house with my friends who, by the way, were all Eagles and Giants fans. That is the problem with growing up in northeastern PA.

However, I swear I can remember that day like it was yesterday because, as a 17-year old, it was the greatest day of my life as a Redskin fan. All game I talked trash to my my Eagles and Giants buddies and it was fantastic when the Skins got the Super Bowl trophy. It was even better to throw it in the Eagles fans' faces because I had been to the Vet the year before in 1990 for our playoff win in the rematch of the body bag game, so it felt good to see the despair in their faces with this Super Bowl win.

Ahhhh, the memories. Hail!!!!

I was at home watching the game upstairs and I remember after Jim Kelly threw the interception to start the second half to Kurt Gouveia (who returned it inside the 5), I rushed downstairs and was dancing around. I then for some reason decided to try and convince my sister that the Bills were not this bad. She didn't follow football other than the Skins too closely so she had no idea how good the opponents were.

The thing I remember about going into that game is how the Redskins were heavy favorites. They were at least 7 point favorites at one point. The last time the Redskins enjoyed this kind of gushing was 1983 and that scared the hell out of me because of what happened in that Super Bowl.

I lived in Silver Spring at the time... was 23 and my g/f at the time was a Cowboy fan... I remember my dad firing a shotgun in the air after the win - I also remember being emotionally drained... I was so nervous all day and then after the huge win I crashed.

Last great team they had. I thought '99 was the beginning of another era of winning... but well, everyone knows how that worked out.

I was a senior at Courtland High School in Spotstlvania, Va. That year three of my favorite teams won titles. Redskins won the Superbowl, Alabama won the National Championship in College Football and Michael Jordan and the Bulls won another championship! I won some track and field titles in the state that year as well. Great Year.

I was 11 years old and I remember watching the game and just being absorbed by everything. I taped the game and watched every weekend for 3 straight months. After the game I remember going out in my Skins Super Bowl Champ shirt that a local shirt guy made up before the game. I ran around and singing Hail to the Redskins for about half an hour. The cool thing is there were about 15 other adults and kids doing the same thing. Good times, and we can get back to there and I know we will.

I was going crazy that year. Although it was, by far, our most dominant year that I was old enough to follow from start to finish (I was only 6 for the 1983 season), I felt so much more stress in 1991 than I did in 1987. The Super Bowl against the Bills was a must-win for me as a fan. I could tell that Dallas was nipping at our heels and we had way too great a season to NOT win the Super Bowl. For me, 1987 was more fun since we were not as dominant and not the team expected to win it all.

In fact, the special thing about the 1991 season/Super Bowl is that it was the only time in my lifetime that we were the front-runner from day 1 (predicted to win it all by many people) and we met those expectations. The only other time we were predicted to win it all and came close was probably 1983.

Anyway, that game was so fun to watch. We got off to a slow start and spoiled a great Art Monk drive early in the game. He had 3-4 catches for 50-60 yards and a near-TD (correctly overturned by replay). We had to settle for a FG attempt and we botched the snap. Then, in the second quarter we turned it on and built a 17-point halftime lead (thanks to great balance of offense and defense). The opening drive of the third quarter ended the competitive phase of the Super Bowl when Gouveia intercepted Kelly and set us up inside the 5. Seconds later it was 24-0 and it was 37-10 before the Bills scored some cosmetic TDs.

Great memories...even if we never get to that level again, it's nice having that season be our best in franchise history and being 14 and able to appreciate every, single play from that year!

well said ...I remember the SB loss to the Radiers (was about 5 years old) and was in first year of pee-wee football. Even at that age i was an impressionable kid and could tell that the tension and disappointment was something I had never seen. Likewise the Bronco SB was like a great surprise considering how we played throughout the year and the competition we faced in our own division. At this point I was in full contact little league football, and was obsessed with every aspect of this game. I remember my dad recorded this on VHS and used to watch it on weekend nights and make a bag of popcorn. It was how I grew to love this game.

In 1991, I was a freshman in HS and was playing what would be my last year of full contact football. I knew that my athletic abilities led me to excel at baseball, and chose not to get destroyed physically (as I was a year younger than everyone in my grade, and I went to HS with Jamie and Darren Sharper and Shawn Barber at Hermitage in RIC if that tells you the type of athletes we had at my HS school). We won our little league title a couple weeks before the 91 SB (I was able to play b/c of my age and weight) and this was kind of like my SB finale.

I saw my first game in December of the 91 season against the Giants to clinch the division, and although was already a skins fan ... after seeing this game at RFK I was now "die-hard". I love this game, I grew up with this game watching Joe Gibbs become one of the greatest NFL coaches of all time and was my ultimate role model.

I'll never forget this night, watching the SB by myself with my younger brother and sister doing their "little-kid" thing ... running around the house hoot'n and hollar'n and singing Hail to the redskins.

Great post OP and TD, was nice to reminisce and hope we can get back to that competitiveness we once had. HAIL.

Archived