Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Three Probowlers from the Redskins' 2010 Defense?

Burgold

I'm sorry. Our defense doesn't deserve three pro bowl invites... even with two as alternates. Orakpo didn't have that good a year and Fletcher was Fletcher, but our defense deserves no hurrahs. Hall had a few great games, but boy did he have some stinkers.We couldn't cover the pass, we couldn't pressure the qb, and we couldn't stop the run. We sported one of the worst defenses in Redskins history and were bottom of the barrel in the league this year.

As much as I like the Redskins getting positive attention or getting their due, it's baffling and wrong that these guys got a nod. I mean let's be serious. The Redskins' 2011 defense only deserves to be on the field during the Pro Bowl if you want to highlight how good the offensive talent is.

If you want highlight plays, the Redskins gave em up.

Anyway, mark me down as someone who's thought about it and would be happier and think it more fitting if we had no one going to the Probowl this year.

orakpo certainly didnt have a great year statistically. but, geez, it seems like he was held very down. i hate to play that card, but i dont get how he got held as much as he did and not get the benefit of a flag.

hall drives me nuts. for every great play he makes, he gives up a big pass, so it seems. i'd love him if he were more steady.

but fletch deserves to go every year.

orakpo certainly didnt have a great year statistically. but, geez, it seems like he was held very down. i hate to play that card, but i dont get how he got held as much as he did and not get the benefit of a flag.

hall drives me nuts. for every great play he makes, he gives up a big pass, so it seems. i'd love him if he were more steady.

but fletch deserves to go every year.

That's fair enough. he was held an awful lot, but that fact that he couldn't escape those holds means he shouldn't be going to the wrestler's probowl either. :)

Pro Bowls aren't based on how good your defense is. Patrick Willis is the MLB, aka the QB of the D, for one of the consistently worst defenses in the league. Yet he's a perennial Pro Bowler. We had some good players on our D. Hall absolutely deserved a Pro Bowl nomination - he won us 2 games this year, singlehandedly. Fletcher was up there, as well.

Should have been 4 with Landry.

Hall played great. Fletcher played very good. Orakpo also played pretty good. Landry played excellently.

The problem with our defense was the front 7 and bad angles/Tackles by our FS. More beef at DE and NT, a solid ILB to go with Fletch inside, someone that knows how to play LB opposite Orakpo and a ball hawking FS and all of the sudden, this defense is top 10.

[They] are still dependant on the other players in the defensive unit.

There in lies the problem with a team building strategy that relies on using lots of resources on several "Pro-Bowl" players.

We'll still have 3 or 4 really good players, but the unit and team by extension will always suck.

The Pro Bowl is a joke. Nobody from the Jets defense makes it but most of the Patriots does, Dallas had almost their entire team on there a few years ago even though they sucked. It's a joke and shouldn't be taken seriously for HOF votes, never should have been actually considering a 9 time Pro Bowl Redskin LB still isn't in there.

The main is reason it is a joke is because the fans get a say. I doubt very seriously if too many fans vote for who they thank is the best at that position. How many Redskins, Eagles, & Giants fans would vote for a Dallas player even if that player was the best that year at that position? I know I probably wouldn't & you can do that combination for any number of teams. Then you have players like London Flether, while I don't believe that he is the best at his position this year with someone like him I thank he is being honored more as having a great career & not being recognized enough when he really did deserve to go. I really don't have a problem with that. If us fans really want a true pro bowl then when we vote we need to take off the team colored glasses & really vote for who we believe is the best regardless of what team they play for.

Dallas had 5 members of the Pro Bowl before anyone pulled out. They were 6-10 just like us. TB finished 10-6, and had 0 Pro Bowl players. The Pro Bowl has ALWAYS been a popularity contest, which is why Art Monk didn't go every year he was healthy. It is a joke, it is just starting to benefit the Skins more than in the past.

I'm sorry. Our defense doesn't deserve three pro bowl invites... even with two as alternates. Orakpo didn't have that good a year and Fletcher was Fletcher, but our defense deserves no hurrahs. Hall had a few great games, but boy did he have some stinkers.We couldn't cover the pass, we couldn't pressure the qb, and we couldn't stop the run. We sported one of the worst defenses in Redskins history and were bottom of the barrel in the league this year.

As much as I like the Redskins getting positive attention or getting their due, it's baffling and wrong that these guys got a nod. I mean let's be serious. The Redskins' 2011 defense only deserves to be on the field during the Pro Bowl if you want to highlight how good the offensive talent is.

If you want highlight plays, the Redskins gave em up.

Anyway, mark me down as someone who's thought about it and would be happier and think it more fitting if we had no one going to the Probowl this year.

I've been watching the NFL since 1960...since when has "deserving" been part of the Pro Bowl selection criteria?:wtf:

More proof the Pro Bowl is a joke. Our guys fought hard, but only guy worthy of a PB was Landry for only first half of the season. For London it might be karma for all the times he was snubbed when he was a Bill, but that's it.

This isn't more proof that the Pro Bowl is a joke...this is back-ups playing for guys ahead of them who aren't playing.

What makes the Pro Bowl a joke is when there are players starting who should be back-ups, and alternates who should be starters. What makes the Pro Bowl a joke is when players who had excellent years on bad teams don't even get an alternate nod while good but not great players on a 12-4 team are chosen to fill out the Pro Bowl rosters.

But this? Nah...this is simply back-ups playing because starters aren't for one reason or another. I have zero problem believing Fletcher was one of the top 4-5 ILBs this season.

This isn't more proof that the Pro Bowl is a joke...this is back-ups playing for guys ahead of them who aren't playing.

What makes the Pro Bowl a joke is when there are players starting who should be back-ups, and alternates who should be starters. What makes the Pro Bowl a joke is when players who had excellent years on bad teams don't even get an alternate nod while good but not great players on a 12-4 team are chosen to fill out the Pro Bowl rosters.

But this? Nah...this is simply back-ups playing because starters aren't for one reason or another. I have zero problem believing Fletcher was one of the top 4-5 ILBs this season.

Hate to disagree, but look at this: link He's sixth there, with guys like Urlacher and Willis further down. I think the argument is" was Fletch top 10 this season". Not PB.

I'm sorry.
It's OK Burgold. Not everyone can hit Thread Gold every single time. :silly:

I definitely think that both Dante Hall and London Fletcher belong there.

---------- Post added January-26th-2011 at 03:14 PM ----------

More proof the Pro Bowl is a joke. Our guys fought hard, but only guy worthy of a PB was Landry for only first half of the season. For London it might be karma for all the times he was snubbed when he was a Bill, but that's it.
Brian Moorman did not think the Probowl was a joke when Sean Taylor annihilated him during his run. :)

Orakpo did well as a pass rusher. He was mediocre to below average as an outside linebacker. I can't tell you how many times I saw him out of position in run stop situations. I think he's got a TON of potential and will grow to be a good outside backer... but he's struggled in that role. He's done extremely well in the pass rush role.

Archived