Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spiegel International: 13 Year Old Norwegian Boy Fends Off Wolves with Creed

SonOfWashington

Heard this on the radio on my way to class this morning.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,740680,00.html

Saved by Creed?

Norwegian Boy Fends Off Wolf Pack with Heavy Metal

image-171782-galleryV9-ewmd.jpg

While walking home from the busstop this week, a 13-year-old Norwegian school boy stumbled upon four wolves. In the end, it may have been his love of heavy-metal music by the band Creed that saved his life.

Walter Eikrem listened to music on his mobile phone as he often does as he made his way home from school in the southern Norwegian town of Rakkestad earlier this week. The path leading from the stop where he catches the school bus to his family's farmhouse traverses a gently sloping hillside. All of a sudden, he made out something gray on the hillside. "At first, I thought it might have been the neighbor's dogs," he later told TV2, Norway's largest commercial broadcaster. What he actually encountered, though, were four wolves.

"I was afraid they would attack me," Walter told the Norwegian tabloid VG, describing the incident, which took place on Monday. But he didn't let his fear show. Remembering his parents' advice, Walter pulled the earphones out of his mobile phone, turned the volume all the way up and blasted heavy metal music over its miniature speakers. At the same time, he yelled as loud as he could while flailing his arms about wildly to scare off the pack of wild animals.

"The worst thing you can do is run away because doing so just invites the wolves to chase you down," Walter told TV2. "But I was so afraid that I couldn't even run away if I'd wanted to."

Overcoming the Wolves

The plan worked. Eikrem said he was able to drive away the wolves by playing the song "Overcome" by the American hard-rock band Creed. "They didn't really get scared," Walter said. "They just turned around and simply trotted away."

On Wednesday, the local newspaper Rakkestad Avis reported on Walter's encounter with the wolves and even gave his mother a chance to tell her side of the story. She said she had actually intended to pick her son up from school, but got delayed while shopping in Rakkestad and didn't make it on time.

"I have a completely guilty conscience," she told the paper, "because I knew there were wolves in the area. The previous evening, we saw three wolves on the edge of the forest when we were putting our horses in their stall. The horses were panicky."

Even so, at least she had repeated to her children often enough just how they needed to behave if they ran into any wolves. "Just don't run away," she would tell them. "You can even get a little poodle to run after you if you run away, even if it doesn't even actually want to attack you. And the same holds true for wolves."

In the end, the son's memory of her self-defense warnings -- and a little heavy metal -- appears to have saved the day.

I want to say what an awesome story this is....but this story refers to the band Creed as both heavy-metal and hard-rock. Unless there are 2 bands named Creed, and I've never heard of a 2nd one, then reporter is lying.

So, the correct headline should be "Christian Rock Band causes wolves to repent and turn from their wicked ways"

First we had a Norwegian kid fend off a moose with a trick he learned in World of Warcraft. Now we have pop music fending off wolves.

All we need is for a bear to be mesmerized by an iPod and wild nature will have been defeated by the lamest teenage nerds.

Reminds of another true story about a Christian man who found himself at the mercy of angry wildlife.

A Christian man was out camping, when suddenly he was being charged by a furious grizzly, who was threatened by the camper who had gotten too close to the sow's cubs.

When the man realized how close he was to death, he prayed to God that He would cause the grizzly to become "saved" and therefore the bear would spare the camper's life.

Right as the camper was praying for the bear's salvation and Christian conversion, the charging bear screeched to a sudden stop and the bear fell on its knees and prayed.

The bear began to pray, "Dear Lord, thank you for this meal that you have provided for me today. Bless this human, as I partake of his skull and ribcage"

Lamest article ever. Creed saved boy from wolf attack = uninterested wolves mosey off the other direction from boy walking home from school. I can't believe we're hearing about this "incident" from half way around the world.

Sensationalism is an art form that you apparently lack the ability to appreciate.

I like Creed... :paranoid:

90673d1223437011-beef-thread-gtfo3bp.jpg

I like Creed...:paranoid:

lol, don't worry you aren't the only one. very popular when i was in hs even tho the lead singer was a.....well, he was a tool. he recently however apologized and has subsequently stopped acting toolish

---------- Post added January-25th-2011 at 08:00 AM ----------

You're kidding when you label them Christian, right?

Their message is Christian, but I can think of a few songs that had some choice words in there.

lol, don't worry you aren't the only one. very popular when i was in hs even tho the lead singer was a.....well, he was a tool. he recently however apologized and has subsequently stopped acting toolish

---------- Post added January-25th-2011 at 08:00 AM ----------

Their message is Christian, but I can think of a few songs that had some choice words in there.

Is it? Not according to the band themselves.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/iyf/music/christianalternatives/21.25.html

Archived