Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best eras for stuff...

Hitman21ST

I've been thinking, and trying to figure out the best "era," by which I mean a 10-year span, of different forms of entertainment.

What I've come up with so far:

Music: 1975-1985...Aerosmith, Metallica, U2, Stones, some of the all-time best bands were playing in this timeframe.

Children's Shows: late 80s-late 90s...Rescue Rangers, TaleSpin, DuckTales, Captain Planet, GI Joe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Animaniacs, Smurfs, Eureka's Castle, Dinosaurs...my youth was the best time to grow up, period.

Haven't really thought about others, but I'd be up for more additions if you can think of them.

Music -

Some people will argue the 2000's because the World Wide Web has allowed so many smaller bands to get air time but pop music and especially hip hop/rap have fallen so much as a whole (yes there is underground and more random small acts) that it negates that effect. Seriously some of it is so bad I'd actually almost rather have disco on the radio.

I'd say 1965-1975....so much great classic rock; great Motown also...for hip/hop and rap 1984-1994. Start with Raising Hell, end with Illmatic and Ready to Die.

And before someone says it, yes we know there is "bad" music in every decade.

Kids TV

Late 80's-late 90's.

It was called the renaissance for a reason. You 45 year olds can say what you want but let's be real, Animaniacs is far superior to Thundercats and He-Man etc.

Movies -

The 1970's.

Godfather I and II, Alien, Kramer vs. Kramer, Jaws, Close Encounters, Star Wars, Rocky, Patton, A Clockwork Orange, American Graffiti, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, All the President's Men, Taxi Driver, Dog Day Afternoon, Apocalypse Now etc.

Compare the best picture winners/nominees from the 70's to the 2000's, this past decade was pretty underwhelming. Plus too much dumb 3D gimmicks, remakes and awful sequels.

Clothing -

2000's.

The 60's...eh, the 70's...disco era, end of story, 80's...complete disaster for fashion...90's, too much flannel

Plus women dressing promiscuous has never been more accepted so no complaints.

Comic Books - Early 60's to mid/late 70's. This was when most of the great superheroes, such as Spider-man, Hulk, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, etc, all came out and really revolutionized the industry. Up until that time, most superheroes were all upstanding, righteous, and moral. In the 60's, superheroes started to take on a more human like persona, with stories showing that there was more to the heroes than saving the earth. Issues like school, drugs, alcohol abuse started making their way into the mainstream.

I'd include the the birth of house ( 80's) also. You had artists like Mr. Fingers, Knuckles, The Beloved, Lil' Louis, Farley Jackmaster Funk, etc. They set the wheels in motion for the 90's and beyond. Good music

I like alot of 80's music but there were too many awful hair bands.

Music: 1995-2005

I'm a music fanatic, listening to a wide variety of genres and eras regardless of popularity:Bobby Darin, Dion and the Belmonts and The Avons of the 50's, Herman's Hermits, The Hollies and The Swinging Blue Jeans of the 60's, 10cc, Queen, and ELO of the 70's. . .etc.

After saying all that, I must say that the late 90's has more hidden gems than any period I can recall. Most of the best stuff wasn't played on the radio, but ignoring that, it's by far the best music has to offer.

Movies: 1970's

Same reasons as Sticksboi. As far as comedies go though, the 1990's were pretty damn good.

Being a car guy who particularly is infatuated with European cars I'll go with them. Tons of beautiful cars in the 50s, 60s, and 70s too but to me, I love the boxy 80s European cars. The Benz 190E, the E30 BMW (not to mention the 5, 6 and 7 series of the day) the A1 and A2 VW Golfs/Jettas/Sciroccos, the Volvo 240, Audi Coupe Quattro and 4000, Peugot 205 T16, Renault Maxi 5 Turbo. Love all those cars, not to mention all the touring cars and Group B rally cars of the day. To me it's the era where technology, particularly in turbo/enginge management areas, exploded allowing all kinds of new things but it's the last of the unmolested, non computer controlled cars where it's really just you and the mechanical parts. So many awesome cars in that time period. A lot of them (like the Volvo 240, VW Golf and Scirocco for example) originated in the 70s some time but they really came into their own in the 80s.

What about movies? Thought 2000-2010 was pretty good.

I'm sure you will be able to look back at some innovative things, but that decade of movies seemed like all re-makes in some capacity...either straight re-makes of older movies or making books/comic books into movies. There were very few original ideas that made it to the theaters (from what I can remember).

What about movies? Thought 2000-2010 was pretty good.

Not sure if serious. Plus that's 11 years not 10.

I mean Inception, LOTR, Gladiator...I can really only pull a few gems away from the 2000's that were original ideas. Either way, they don't compare to the 90's and sure as hell not the 70's.

Not sure if serious. Plus that's 11 years not 10.

I mean Inception, LOTR, Gladiator...I can really only pull a few gems away from the 2000's that were original ideas. Either way, they don't compare to the 90's and sure as hell not the 70's.

Exactly...and LOTR wasn't an original idea, though I probably would have to give that trilogy a pass since the effects were so incredible. Good call on Gladiator, I love that movie. Still though, that decade just seemed like a decade of unoriginal ideas with cool technology to me (with a couple exceptions).

Cartoons have never been better and they never will be

x07BOja7eog

---------- Post added January-24th-2011 at 09:49 AM ----------

You also have to give the late 60's early 70's props for the cars. Best vehicles ever. 300+ Horsepower and they lasted 10 years minimum. A large number are still on the road today (least here in New Mexico). The fact that they are copying them today says something. Frankly, this looks much better than their model today. I wants one. :(

1969CamaroSS.jpg

Archived