Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Respect for Gibbs accomplishment just now on ESPN

SkinsNumberOne

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd let you know that Berman on ESPN just gave a quick sidebar about Gibbs when talking about the Jets potential to leave a mark with wins over a string of great QBs if they beat Roethlisberger following beating Manning and Brady.

He basically said the league probably hasn't seen anything like that since (only slightly paraphrased): 1982 when Joe Gibbs in his second year took the Redskins over Bud Grant's Vikings, Tom Landry's Cowboys in the NFC Championship at RFK (it's cool to hear it said like that), and Don Shula's Dolphins in Super Bowl 17. Those coaches have won 800 games combined. The QBs of those teams have won 6 Super Bowls. [NOTE: This is how Berman said it as near as I can recall, but he runs words together; as others have pointed out, the QBs of this year's Jets postseason have that stat, but not from the Skins 1982 season]

Anyway, I think since a lot of us focus so much on what we perceive as the media ignoring the Redskins proud history, this was worth a quick mention. It's cool to hear - my wife was making fun of me just now - telling me I sound like I was just given a shout out personally on TV. Haha.

Well he forgot that we also beat Monte Clark's Detroit Lions with Eric Hipple at QB in the Playoffs too, doesn't that count for something? :ols:

The team with the best record in the NFL had to play 4 postseason games to earn the Championship and people still say that it was less because of the strike.

2 playoffs in 4 years is ****in remarkable

Especially with scrubs like Brunell and Campbell starting most of the games. It's like Gibbs handicapped himself and still won quite a bit. Now if Brunell had been 25 instead of 35 he may have been on to something there.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Oh, and divorce the wife. She can go with mine since she's laughing over how excited I was for your "personal shout out."

Hahaha, yeah, she was in the kitchen making dinner, and I asked her to come watch it. She said she was busy making dinner, so I immediately hit the old DVR-Record button. Then, after dinner, I sat her down to watch the 2-minute segway about Gibbs.

I give her credit; she is from South Africa, and she watched a lot of football last weekend (every minute I watched, she did; so that's 4.5 hours each day - I watched half of each boring NFC game and the whole AFC game). She's getting into football, and she's sticking to the Skins despite them not showing her much to cheer for.

So I'm insidiously showing her some clips of the old years and I'll probably be taking some abuse for it like that in the meantime. Without her knowing it, though, pretty soon she'll be bleeding B&G with the rest of us.

I give her credit; she is from South Africa, and she watched a lot of football last weekend (every minute I watched, she did; so that's 4.5 hours each day - I watched half of each boring NFC game and the whole AFC game). She's getting into football, and she's sticking to the Skins despite them not showing her much to cheer for.

So I'm insidiously showing her some clips of the old years and I'll probably be taking some abuse for it like that in the meantime. Without her knowing it, though, pretty soon she'll be bleeding B&G with the rest of us.

Now that's funny. Almost the same "tactics" I've used on my girlfriend. She was very knowledgeable about football already, more than many of my guy friends. Being friends for a long time before dating, she knew that I was a Redskins fan, and she unfortunately was raised in a Patriots household, though she was never a big fan. Just loved the NFL and football in general.

Well, the first few months we were dating, we watched all of the "America's Game" episodes on the Skins superbowls, as well as an uncountable number of old highlight videos, and of course TorresA's Gibbs video, and a couple of powerful ST tribute videos. I think that's what really did it...seeing my passion for the team, learning about the glory we as a franchise had under Gibbs I, and then seeing the TorresA video about Gibbs returning and taking us to the playoffs twice, on the shoulders of CP, and even through the ST tragedy....it just happened.

She bleeds B&G with the best of us now. Never missed a minute of a game, even when she had to hunt up a good online stream while I was on my way home from work. Went with me to my first live Skins game this year, at NY.

Creating a new Skins fan is a beautiful thing :D

Creating a new Skins fan is a beautiful thing :D

I have the same thing, Conn. My wife never really followed football, but having been raised in Bmore, she was a Ravens fan (her dad and stepmom are big Ratbird fans). She could at least name a few players on the Ravens, and she likes Todd Heap, so I gave her some credit for at least knowing something. Anyway, I slowly but surely turned to the Burgundy & Gold, showing her clips from the America's Game and Sean Taylor highlights. I got her a Campbell jersey during the 08 season, which is now my 7 year old stepdaughter's...don't have enough money to get her a new jersey, and she doesn't really care - she just wanted a jersey for the "jersey" days at school, etc. My oldest son, who is two and a half and can say Redskins and Football, has a McNabb jersey, he loves wearing it, especially on game days. My one year old has Redskins baby clothes. Needless to say, they are being inundated early and often, and they will grow up bleeding B&G.

I think they'll get their first official jerseys around 5 or 6. I hope to be able to take them all to a game here in the next few years, just need the money.

Major kudos to Berman for bringing that up. I was 12 at that time so while I enjoyed the wins, other than knowing the Cowboys were really good and always seemed to beat us, I had no really knowledge of Bud Grant and Don Shula.

Looking back, it really was a daunting task faced by Gibbs' team especially when you consider that due to the strike Gibbs had only coached 26 games before taking on Grant, Landry and Shula in the playoffs. Also those three were already sure fire Hall of Famers in 82. Bud Grant was the one though that I feel got a little "Monked" once he retired. When he coached there was no doubt he was going in but then he retired and all of a sudden the negative (4 Super Bowl losses) began to overwhelm the positive (top 3-5) team from the late 60s to early 80s.

Looking back, it's very impressive and far more impressive than what the Jets are doing.

I still dont think people realize what a remarkable job Gibbs 2 did on the field yet. 2 playoffs in 4 years is ****in remarkable

The real sad thing is a lot of the B/S and utter disrespect from the greatest man this organizations ever employed, and an even better human being; comes from a lot of older fans who should know WAY better. But let's not have this degenerate into the typical ES slanging match.

---------- Post added January-22nd-2011 at 06:09 AM ----------

[/color]

Be careful you keep those clips to anything outside of the last decade my good man, or that could be construed as spousal abuse. :silly:

Hail.

Why is Gibbs 2.0 brought up in this thread?

This is about an accomplishment achieved in January of 83.

Why some people are just hellbent to validate 2.0 at every turn is something I will never understand.

I think it was ultimately a failure due to the fact that the organizational structure was not changed. Others feel it was a success because of the two playoff appearances. In the end, who cares? It doesn't approach the first tenure and the accomplishments achieved within it.

People want to talk about how great 2.0 was, start a thread on it. This thread should be for the Joe Gibbs Era not the 2.0 Mini Era.

Why some people are just hellbent to validate 2.0 at every turn is something I will never understand.

I think it was ultimately a failure due to the fact that the organizational structure was not changed. Others feel it was a success because of the two playoff appearances. In the end, who cares? It doesn't approach the first tenure and the accomplishments achieved within it.

People want to talk about how great 2.0 was, start a thread on it. This thread should be for the Joe Gibbs Era not the 2.0 Mini Era.

Nice rant on Gibbs II being a failure shrouded in a post claiming to despise posts that are intended to bring up Gibbs II.

Gregg Williams got this team to the playoffs, not Gibbs.

That's just absurd. I am sorry, I don't call people out but this statement just couldn't fly under the radar. Explain how Joe Gibbs was not responsible at all for the two playoff seasons and it was instead our defensive coordinator.

Explain to me how it was actually Gregg Williams who galvanized the team after Sean was killed and Campbell went down and they went on that tear with Collins.

Explain to me how ever december Joe had those guys galvanized to play but it was Gregg Williams and him alone that was responsible.

What's actually funny about this is it burns my ass to hear someone so summarily dismiss a legend for this organization but Joe himself would probably agree with you. . . because he is an amazing leader.

Joe's problem was he was half way out from the beginning. He was compensating with the Al Saunders stuff and not being as integral to the offense and hybrid systems etc. He wasn't in his 30's anymore and he tried to overcompensate. His leadership was still unquestioned. He took individuals and made a team out of them. A team that blew out the Cowboys, won 5 in a row, etc etc in december.

Joe was/is fantastic. It was incredible what he did when he was here. No, it wasn't Gibbs 2 but the idea that he "lost it" was absurd. We couldn't and haven't found anyone else who could do it under the circumstances prior or since. Have some respect.

Now that we know just how bad the Redskins roster really has been his Second stint was just as amazing. Too bad he relied so much on Vinny tho.

Gibbs has eyes. He probably knew Vinny was incompetent but opted to concentrate on Coaching and getting some wins instead wasting his time trying to bust up the Snyder/Cerrato bromance. Read a lot of articles about Coach Gibbs through the years, many were interviews where Coach was heavily quoted. His basic philosophy was not to worry about those things he could not change and accept them while focusing his energy on those things he could control.

I saw this at a bar...an hour or so later, on a special about greatest NFL upsets, they did a nice segment on the 1987 scabskins win over the Cowboys.

Apparently the QB for the Skins was in prison on a cocaine charge a few weeks before, and returned a few weeks after, the Skins beat the heavily favored Cowboys with all their strikebreakers.

A neat little piece that I'd like to see with the sound on (there were captions but I didn't follow it too closely). Interviews with Bostic and Williams I think, and a couple others.

Gregg Williams got this team to the playoffs, not Gibbs.

That's like saying it was Bill Belichick that won the Giants there Superbowls in the 86 and 90 seasons, not Bill Parcells. Gibbs is a master motivator and deserves the respect that he is getting. No coach in the history of the game has one 3 SB's w/o a franchise QB. Not only that, but he also had 3 different RB's in those SB wins.

Agreed, Beathard deserves some credit also......If you know why Beathard left in 1989, you'll also know the reason why Gibbs 2.0 was unsuccessful..... I love Gibbs, but coaching can be overrated, Players win Games period....

Yes I caught that also on ESPN. I'm justing hoping that Gibbs and Snyder still talk about the state of the Franchise from time to time. I don't remember what game it was but I saw Joe sitting in the luxury suites during a game at Fed_EX.

I'm not sold on the Farther Son combo just yet. I mean, would farther actually fire the son if need so..Just saying

Archived