Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Schefter Redskins Chat for 1/21/11

GenMgr

I'm just saying, gut feeling, that theres about a 75% chance he's in BnG next season, for better or for worse. And I feel like its for the better, I think he has tremendous upside.

I am agreeing although I'm trying to figure out if I'm just convincing myself of it because I'm so sure we're taking him.

For every article that says he's the next Big Ben there's one saying he doesn't have the work ethic to be a franchise QB.

I love his upside and potential to become a superstar but I worry about how much time he'll need and without a good QB in place for him to learn behind I'm worried he'll be given the starting job too soon.

The thing that jumpd out at me in this article was the proposed trade of Young/6th for McNabb/Haynesworth. I was hoping for at least a 4th for Haynesworth and McNabb, maybe 3rds. And I've never thought much of Young as a QB, and with his baggage, I think he would be worth no more than a 5th. Apparently Schef doesn't agree with me.

I can't excuse the craziness lately, or how poorly he has seemed to take to his position coaching, but just as a fan I'm still completely in the tank for Vince. No idea if we would want him or if he would mesh with the coaching here any better, but he's filthy with talent.

I think Newton is my #2 choice behind Gabbert, if we're set on picking a QB at ten.

ConnSKINS26, you are saying that he is definitely worth a top 10 selection, just not for the Redskins. So its not a question on whether the player is talented enough or not, but what kind of team is best suited to draft him. Why wouldn't it make sense for a team who has time to develop a QB to draft him? I'm saying if you are sold on Newton, and you said you are, then he would be ideal for the Redskins who are years away from competing, in comparison to a team like the Vikings, whose team (AP, K Will, McKinnie, Hutch, etc) is aging and doesn't have time to wait for a raw QB to develop. They want to win now. And if a team like the Redskins is able to realize they are on a 3 year plan of rebuilding, then Year 1 would be an ideal time to draft a QB so he can learn the game. Years 2 and 3 would be better suited for guys who you can more or less just plug in (RB, OL, LB, etc). That way the team comes together at the right time and can contend year in and year out.

You know I have never understood why everyone says Shanahan works great with quarterbacks. Other than Elway, what great quarterbacks has he molded while a head coach? John Elway's last season was 1998. So who else was there?

Elway was pretty darn good long before Shanahan was the head coach. And it seems like he gave up on several Denver quarterbacks. Brian Griese, Jake Plummer (whose career he basically roasted). With the exception of Griese's 2000 year, they were both pretty average at Denver. He probably got closest to making it work with Cutler before he was fired himself. It does not exactly spell quarterback guru to me - and the McNabb experiment was a mess as well. He treated McNabb as badly as he did Plummer. I really wonder if we expect too much of him quarterback wise.

I just don't think he is this fantastic mentor to quarterbacks that so many think he is. I really hope I am wrong about this.

ConnSKINS26, you are saying that he is definitely worth a top 10 selection, just not for the Redskins. So its not a question on whether the player is talented enough or not, but what kind of team is best suited to draft him. Why wouldn't it make sense for a team who has time to develop a QB to draft him? I'm saying if you are sold on Newton, and you said you are, then he would be ideal for the Redskins who are years away from competing, in comparison to a team like the Vikings, whose team (AP, K Will, McKinnie, Hutch, etc) is aging and doesn't have time to wait for a raw QB to develop. They want to win now. And if a team like the Redskins is able to realize they are on a 3 year plan of rebuilding, then Year 1 would be an ideal time to draft a QB so he can learn the game. Years 2 and 3 would be better suited for guys who you can more or less just plug in (RB, OL, LB, etc). That way the team comes together at the right time and can contend year in and year out.

I'm saying that he's definitely worth a top 10 selection for somebody, because they will believe in his athletic ability and his potential. I don't, right now. With me, its not a matter of system or coach, really. That's why I don't think he's worth it FOR US, while he will be for somebody else. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I do agree that we are a great team right now for a QB prospect to develop on....especially if we add more pieces around him. But for me, that prospect isn't Cam Newton.

You know I have never understood why everyone says Shanahan works great with quarterbacks. Other than Elway, what great quarterbacks has he molded while a head coach? John Elway's last season was 1998. So who else was there?

Elway was pretty darn good long before Shanahan was the head coach. And it seems like he gave up on several Denver quarterbacks. Brian Griese, Jake Plummer (whose career he basically roasted). With the exception of Griese's 2000 year, they were both pretty average at Denver. He probably got closest to making it work with Cutler before he was fired himself. It does not exactly spell quarterback guru to me - and the McNabb experiment was a mess as well. He treated McNabb as badly as he did Plummer. I really wonder if we expect too much of him quarterback wise.

Look at Elway's numbers before Shanahan as HC, and Elway's numbers with Shanahan as HC, and prepare to be very surprised.

Also, he took Plummer from the scrap heap after he was dreadful in Arizona, and turned him into a productive QB. Plummer never once threw for more TDs than INTs in a season until 2003 when he threw 15 TDs and 7 INTs--which just happened to be his first year under Shanahan.

I just don't think he is this fantastic mentor to quarterbacks that so many think he is. I really hope I am wrong about this.

I honestly don't think that you know what you're talking about. That's not an insult, I just think that you're repeating talking points without doing any research whatsoever.

I love this chat, especially about changing things in all areas. I'd love to learn some new names at starting positions other than Trent Williams, Anthony Armstrong, Brian Orakpo, Fred Davis, and LaRon Landry.

And to think that we were the last team to integrate :ols:

Look at Elway's numbers before Shanahan as HC, and Elway's numbers with Shanahan as HC, and prepare to be very surprised.

You might be surprised as the offenses were drastic. One of the most important things in a Walsh offense was completion % and YPC up by getting yards after catch as opposed to YPC mostly created by throwing the ball downfield while YAC came more often because the receiver was behind the defenders. The the period included two drastic changes which saw a jump in the ability to get more yards after catch (virtually guaranteed that an accurate slant was going to get at least 15 yards). First was a return to calling the 5 yard chuck rule tightly. The rule was passed in 1978 but was not usually enforced until 1994 because it made coverages simple to read which makes completions reliant almost completely on the QB and the WR while informing any halfway smart, prepared QB what receiver would be open (defense, in part, figured out how to better disguise coverages eventually). Second was a change to allow offensive lineman to line up about 6 inches farther back (belt of center, not his #) than the were previously (made it harder to get quick pressure among other things).

Also, he took Plummer from the scrap heap after he was dreadful in Arizona, and turned him into a productive QB. Plummer never once threw for more TDs than INTs in a season until 2003 when he threw 15 TDs and 7 INTs--which just happened to be his first year under Shanahan.

I have had my eye brow raised since TK alluded to us possibly drafting him last month. Ever since then it seems like Cam & Washington Redskins has been flying around.

Seriously, I think TK is Adam Schefter or somebody important. Its no way you just randomly guess this and a month later it starts being thrown around by professionals.

If we draft Cam, draft him some help PLEASE.

HAIL!

Give me a break. Cam has been the obvious choice for quite some time. Shanahan wants a QB he CAN MOLD into a superstar. Cam has superstar potential. Shanahan can basically build him from the ground up into an elite QB.

Give me a break. Cam has been the obvious choice for quite some time. Shanahan wants a QB he CAN MOLD into a superstar. Cam has superstar potential. Shanahan can basically build him from the ground up into an elite QB.

Not if he's not able to become an elite quarterback. I don't know the guy, as I don't follow college sports, but I'd rather hit a lot of other positions. I'm in the trading down with New England club.

Can anyone tell me the difference between Vince Young circa this time in 2006 and Cam Newton now?

Not if he's not able to become an elite quarterback. I don't know the guy, as I don't follow college sports, but I'd rather hit a lot of other positions. I'm in the trading down with New England club.

Can anyone tell me the difference between Vince Young circa this time in 2006 and Cam Newton now?

One doesn't have mental issues.

If not in an offense that runs the ball 75% of the time, what makes you think the kid has superstar potential? Kid should give half of his signing bonus to Gus Malzahn, his college OC. Malzahn is more responsible for the "legend" of Cam Newton than Newton.

Nobody knew that as of 2006, though, did they? I'm seriously asking.

I don't know about the suicide stuff, but his character and behavior were in question, from what I remember.

---------- Post added January-21st-2011 at 11:39 PM ----------

If not in an offense that runs the ball 75% of the time, what makes you think the kid has superstar potential? Kid should give half of his signing bonus to Gus Malzahn, his college OC. Malzahn is more responsible for the "legend" of Cam Newton than Newton.

It is because Cam presents himself like a supoerstar. He played the drama well and walks and talks like a superstar.

That's what has everyone so gaga about him. Me personally, I think he has the potential to be a very good qb, but not for Shannahan. He will never be a system QB, he will have to have a playbook tailored to him (so he has to fall to the right team). Shannahan will not do that, which I hope he see's because this could really set us back for a while. That is why I think in this draft, we should get as many picks as we can try and find some players in key positions. Sign a lot of FA's (not high priced), but quality FA's (think Marcus Washington) and continue to develop this team.

But in the time, continue to try and find that QB, but don't reach for one just to get one.

I thought the scout's observation that he felt Cam was a cross between Josh Freeman Big Ben was interesting. IIRC, both Josh and Ben were much more polished coming out with regard to passing.

Yeah, that certainly caused me to do a double take! I wasn't sure about him but if he could be that good then maybe Kiper is on to something. Shannahan did mention something about getting a younger McNabb.

We don't need SCAM at No. 10. The RB position seems more important to me if we can get Ingram. We could also use another OT opposite Trent. We didn't win a single game this year without the running game. We only lost one with a good ground game. I would prefer to find a QB in later rounds.

Vince Young pretty much won his bowl game for his team, while Cam didn't have a really strong performance. He didn't play bad, but he didn't play lights out the way Young did.

I liked Cam earlier in the season, but the National Championship game kind of tempered my feelings. At this point, I have no clue what we're doing in the draft, but I hope whoever we want is there. That's the best I can do.

Yeah, that certainly caused me to do a double take! I wasn't sure about him but if he could be that good then maybe Kiper is on to something. Shannahan did mention something about getting a younger McNabb.

I would love to have a younger more accurate Mcnabb. Mcnabb was very close to HOF if he was more accurate. Hopefully, Cam can be as good as Donovan, but he has the potential to be better since he has more accuracy already. I would be all for Cam Newton. I just feel like he can really throw the ball well. His motion is fluid, he has zip, he can fit it into a tight window. He will just need to work on doing it consistently and hopefully by sitting on the bench for a year or 2, he can develop better field vision and really be a threat throwing the ball, running as a last resort. I dont ever want to restrict his ability to run, just tame it that he tries to throw first, and if nothing is there, try to make a play. I just think he has superstar written all over him. I just hope he has the motivation to study. My true only concern with him.

I would love to have a younger more accurate Mcnabb. Mcnabb was very close to HOF if he was more accurate. Hopefully, Cam can be as good as Donovan, but he has the potential to be better since he has more accuracy already. I would be all for Cam Newton. I just feel like he can really throw the ball well. His motion is fluid, he has zip, he can fit it into a tight window. He will just need to work on doing it consistently and hopefully by sitting on the bench for a year or 2, he can develop better field vision and really be a threat throwing the ball, running as a last resort. I dont ever want to restrict his ability to run, just tame it that he tries to throw first, and if nothing is there, try to make a play. I just think he has superstar written all over him. I just hope he has the motivation to study. My true only concern with him.

I agree. Cam is a better pure passer than vick, young, and maybe mcnabb were when they were in college. Every rookie will have to adjust to the nfl so I don't know why people keep acting like he is the only one that will have that challenge.

Like I've been saying the question is how hard will he work on his game in the nfl. If he lives in the film room he should be fine.

Trent Dilfer had a great podcast with Bill Simmons about what makes a great QB.

One of the biggest things he brought up (and has before) was the Alpha Male aspect. That the QB has to be the person that commands respect from everyone and is the largest Alpha Male among all the Alpha Males. He said this about Sanchez: "Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, Tim Tebow, and some other rookie QB's went out to eat, they'd ALL flip Sanchez the keys because he's unquestionably the alpha male."

Cam Newton seems to be the Alpha Male top dog coming out of this draft. I am officially on board with us drafting him at #10.

That is why I think in this draft, we should get as many picks as we can try and find some players in key positions. Sign a lot of FA's (not high priced), but quality FA's (think Marcus Washington) and continue to develop this team.

As in our old #53 Marcus? I'd love it!!!!!:D:D:D

Archived