Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MSNBC: Flight Attendant Punched Over Blocked Aisle

Mr. Sinister

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41192502/ns/travel-news/

You know the angst that occurs when nature calls and your path to the loo isn't as clear as you would hope?

A 63-year-old Massachusetts man on a JFK-bound American Airlines flight found his path to the bathroom blocked by a beverage cart early Thursday. His response? He repeatedly kicked and knocked over the cart — and then punched a flight attendant — according to a report in the New York Post.

Sources told the paper that Michael Isabelle, flying into New York from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, punched flight attendant Carlos Carrico in the stomach after the crew member grabbed his arm.

"We did have a disruptive passenger on board the flight," confirmed American Airlines spokesperson Ed Martelle. "He was subdued and turned over to local law enforcement on arrival in New York."

Carrico, a fellow flight attendant and a passenger put plastic cuffs on Isabelle after wrestling him to the ground, the Post reported.

New York Port Authority police took Isabelle into custody upon landing, and took him to a hospital for a psychological evaluation.

The flight attendant did not file criminal charges

So, there wasn't more than one bathroom? If it is a flight from Brazil to New York, it's safe to say he could have gone down another isle or gone in the other direction to find a bathroom. Planes that big have alot of facilities. Hope this douchebag gets the maximum penalty under the eyes of the law. This "me" mentality in this country needs to stop.

You know based on my most rescent experience with Airline industry the attendant probable deserved it.

---------- Post added January-21st-2011 at 03:31 PM ----------

So, there wasn't more than one bathroom? If it is a flight from Brazil to New York, it's safe to say he could have gone down another isle or gone in the other direction to find a bathroom. Planes that big have alot of facilities. Hope this douchebag gets the maximum penalty under the eyes of the law. This "me" mentality in this country needs to stop.

I agree how dare that customer think he should be catered too or serviced by that Airline Attendant. Who does he think he is!.. That's not her job?

Patience is becoming less and less of a virtue in this country. With 24/7 news, instant communication, and a country that thrives on the almighty dollar and competition, the atmosphere set-up by all that is not conducive to patience. I think it's an important reason as to why football overtook baseball also.

Patience is becoming less and less of a virtue in this country. With 24/7 news, instant communication, and a country that thrives on the almighty dollar and competition, the atmosphere set-up by all that is not conducive to patience. I think it's an important reason as to why football overtook baseball also.

That was just common sense.

Now if people would just realize how superior the NHL is to the NBA...

Patience is becoming less and less of a virtue in this country. With 24/7 news, instant communication, and a country that thrives on the almighty dollar and competition, the atmosphere set-up by all that is not conducive to patience..

Yes that and the fact that the airlines have shrunken the amount of elbow, leg, bathroom and headspace so only a decapitated quadraplegic dwarf on a catheter could possible relax in the alloted seat space without performing constant and painful contortions. Add the increased fees for everything from drinks, snacks, carry on bags, checked bags while decreasing their civility by about 20,000%; excuse me what civility?.....

Given all that I would say patience is not the virtue in question with the airlines. it's greed and or an outdated mode of travel which is no longer supportable given the expense and a minimal level of civility people should expect as paying customers.

Given all that I would say patience is not the virtue in question with the airlines. it's greed and or an outdated mode of travel which is no longer supportable given the expense and a minimal level of civility people should expect as paying customers.

I fly quite a bit and almost univerally I find you are treated by Flight Attendants the exact same way you treat them. Actually, that's not true. If you just do simple things for a flight attendant like smile at him/her and say please and thank you, chances are they will go completely out of their way for you. They're so used to dealing with obnoxious jackasses all day long who think they are there to serve them, they are thrilled when someone is actually civil towards them.

I fly quite a bit and almost univerally I find you are treated by Flight Attendants the exact same way you treat them. Actually, that's not true. If you just do simple things for a flight attendant like smile at him/her and say please and thank you, chances are they will go completely out of their way for you.

Are you a 100k traveler, or a 1 million mile traveler? I was. I comuted on an airplane for three years and worked at an airport for two additional years. That was some time ago, but back then I would agree with you. Airline personel were not professional, but rather their behavior was dependent upon what you asked of them and your own behavior.

Saddly I'm both old enough to remember a time when that wasn't the case; and have flown recently enough to observe the airline industry in this country has taken a giant step backwards since I was so dependant upon them...

Today I would put the United States airline infrastructure with regard to customer service on the level of the bus industry in Africa or Central America. Chickens running through the isles and people packed five deep in rows originally designed for three are the norm. Today when I travel less than 1200 miles, I preffer to drive. Likewise the only reason the flight attendant speaks to you is to glare at you for having you seat at a slight incline during take off or landing; or to throw nuts at your head during the lfight.

They're so used to dealing with obnoxious jackasses all day long who think they are there to serve them, they are thrilled when someone is actually civil towards them.

Obnoxious Jackasses used to be called customers in the 1970's and 80's... Coarse I'm guessing when the federal government hands your industry hundreds of millions of dollars on a regular basis to keep you out of bankrupcies; you get used to calling your customers obnoxious jackasses. There is no down side to it.

Flight attendants are certainly there to serve travelers, as are the pilots, the ground crew, the agents and the rest of that industry. Today the folks at the front desk won't even speak to their customers forcing them rather to use keyosks. God help you if the keyosk screws up your ticket too.

I agree how dare that customer think he should be catered too or serviced by that Airline Attendant. Who does he think he is!.. That's not her job?

We don't know the whole story, but did he really have to kick the cart repeatedly and punch her? Maybe he was being an ass to begin with. He's a man, he should be able to hold his bladder better than that. Like I said, I'm assuming it's a pretty big plane. I flew from Miami to Lima Peru and there were 2 isles on the plane with at least a dozen bathrooms. Sounds like he just wanted a confrontatation.

Oh, and how dare he expect her to drop everything she's doing for another passenger to cater to him. He shouldn't have let his bladder get so damn full.

We don't know the whole story, but did he really have to kick the cart repeatedly and punch her? Maybe he was being an ass to begin with. He's a man, he should be able to hold his bladder better than that. Like I said, I'm assuming it's a pretty big plane. I flew from Miami to Lima Peru and there were 2 isles on the plane with at least a dozen bathrooms. Sounds like he just wanted a confrontatation.

Oh, and how dare he expect her to drop everything she's doing for another passenger to cater to him. He shouldn't have let his bladder get so damn full.

A man shouldn't have to beat against a service cart and assult an airline attendant to use the rest room. Evidently on this flight he had too. Which I must say parrellels my own observations on United Airlines over last few years.

I'm not saying the man was definitely justified. All I'm saying is he probable was justified. Personally I could never imagine a reason to hit a woman; but I haven't flown their US to Peru service either.

Oh, and how dare he expect her to drop everything she's doing for another passenger to cater to him. He shouldn't have let his bladder get so damn full

Yeah you don't fly very much do you. when they pull out the service cart they typically don't spend 45 minutes cattering to one passenger. Typically they serve a drink or a package of nutes to one guy and move on. So really she wasn't servering another passenger, so much as she was conducting a food service for the entire plane. And yes, if a passenger needs her to back up so he can use the can; she should provide him that level of service; as inconvient as it is for her. I've seen it done a million times. That's part of her job. Least it was part of an airline attendants job for the last 50 years, evidently not any longer though...

Today we are just thankful they take our money and allow us on the plane. The industry really doesn't have too. It's not like they are dependent on customers for their survivial anymore. Not with the long standing precident of regular federal bailouts to the indusrty.

Are you a 100k traveler, or a 1 million mile traveler? I was. I comuted on an airplane for three years and worked at an airport for two additional years. That was some time ago, but back then I would agree with you. Airline personel were not professional, but rather their behavior was dependent upon what you asked of them and your own behavior.

On average I take about 2-3 airline trips a month.

Obnoxious Jackasses used to be called customers in the 1970's and 80's...

No, I'm pretty certain they were called *******s then too. If you want to turn this into a debate about overall travelling experience, find someone else to have that conversation with. I'm talking about how you treat others, specifically, flight attendants, and the results of that treatment based on my experience.

And just a genearl comment... nothing, I repeat NOTHING... screams "I'm a low-rent piece of white trash" any more than berating people who are there to serve you. This includes waiters/waitresses, busboys, doormen, airline attendants, etc.

On average I take about 2-3 airline trips a month.

Then unless you are traveling to beltsville you are probable a 100k traveler.

No, I'm pretty certain they were called *******s then too.

No, I'm serious; they didn't. They called them customers and they had services designed to placate them. Put them in a comfortable seat and hand them a drink before take off. Or ask if they wanted an extra snack, a complementary magazine or newspaper, or even speak to the captain about their concerns.

for their best costomers they had lounges and special costomer service representatives to meet the plan and follow up on the experience to ensure their employees had not added to the distress of their customers day.

Seriously.

If you want to turn this into a debate about overall travelling experience, find someone else to have that conversation with. I'm talking about how you treat others, specifically, flight attendants, and the results of that treatment based on my experience.

How you treat others? 95% of the flight attendents job on that airplane is to cater to passengers. It's how they treat their customers. Not how you treat a random stranger to you meet at the park.

And just a genearl comment... nothing, I repeat NOTHING... screams "I'm a low-rent piece of white trash" any more than berating people who are there to serve you. This includes waiters/waitresses, busboys, doormen, airline attendants, etc.

In my experience, with today's airline industry; if you aren't willing to stand up for yourself and object when they try to penalize you for a fault of their own; you often won't make your flight. It's what the industry demands. Its what it takes to be a patron of the current airline industry; while making your flights and connections.... today if you don't stand up for yourself; you will spend 10 hours on a runway without airconditioning, water, or toilets. You will sleep on the bare airport floor for days waiting for your next connection. you will be denied passage on your ticketed flight because somebody broke up with somebody elses BFF and your service agent is thus too distressed to process your boarding pass.

All of which; is why I preffer to drive if at all possible; because joining the others screaming at the top of my lungs at service agents who don't think service is part of their job descriptions is painful and repugnant to me, and not doing such is not really an option if you fly regularly.

Yes that and the fact that the airlines have shrunken the amount of elbow, leg, bathroom and headspace so only a decapitated quadraplegic dwarf on a catheter could possible relax in the alloted seat space without performing constant and painful contortions. Add the increased fees for everything from drinks, snacks, carry on bags, checked bags while decreasing their civility by about 20,000%; excuse me what civility?.....

So, you're defending this individual's actions? What planet are you from?

I've flown on plenty of large planes (you know, the type they use to fly internationally, like from Rio to NY, and there is definitely more than one bathroom). You can't physically assault someone because you want to go to the bathroom. FWIW, the international flights are still not bad. It's the domestic flights that suck. Regardless, you can't physically hit someone b/c they don't move the cart.

EDIT: Xanax doesn't cost that much...they should just make everyone take a damn pill upon checkin. Flying would be more pleasant for all of us.

No, I'm serious; they didn't. They called them customers and they had services designed to placate them. Put them in a comfortable seat and hand them a drink before take off. Or ask if they wanted an extra snack, a complementary magazine or newspaper, or even speak to the captain about their concerns.

People want cheaper and cheaper goods so companies cut back on things like customer service by laying off people

You get what you pay for , you want to be catered to buy first class

I found from time working in customer service jobs most customers think they have the right to bully the person behind the counter and they can do nothing, funny how they have a change of heart when you come over the counter and follow them out the door for a discussion on the way they treat people.

That doesn't excuse the fact that same passenger who couldn't wait to use the bathroom had enough time to assault a cart and an attendant. I agree flying sucks, I hate it when I have to do it, and it is a really trying ordeal, that doesn't excuse acts of violence.

Um... why is everyone assuming that the guy just had your usual need to go to the bathroom? The only other story I remember reading about a flight attendant being assaulted by a passenger attempting to go to the bathroom involved a bad intestinal bug, the word "explosive", and completely unrealistic actions by the flight attendant in response to the passenger desperately telling him/her that he was about four seconds away from ****ting his pants in the middle of the aisle. If this guy had to punch someone to get to a bathroom, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that he really, really needed to go.

Archived