Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Telegraph: NASA warns solar flares from 'huge space storm' will cause devastation

China

NASA warns solar flares from 'huge space storm' will cause devastation

Britain could face widespread power blackouts and be left without critical communication signals for long periods of time, after the earth is hit by a once-in-a-generation “space storm”, NASA has warned.

National power grids could overheat and air travel severely disrupted while electronic items, navigation devices and major satellites could stop working after the Sun reaches its maximum power in a few years.

Senior space agency scientists believe the Earth will be hit with unprecedented levels of magnetic energy from solar flares after the Sun wakes “from a deep slumber” sometime around 2013, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.

In a new warning, NASA said the super storm would hit like “a bolt of lightning” and could cause catastrophic consequences for the world’s health, emergency services and national security unless precautions are taken.

Scientists believe it could damage everything from emergency services’ systems, hospital equipment, banking systems and air traffic control devices, through to “everyday” items such as home computers, iPods and Sat Navs.

Due to humans’ heavy reliance on electronic devices, which are sensitive to magnetic energy, the storm could leave a multi-billion pound damage bill and “potentially devastating” problems for governments.

“We know it is coming but we don’t know how bad it is going to be,” Dr Richard Fisher, the director of NASA's Heliophysics division, said in an interview with The Daily Telegraph.

“It will disrupt communication devices such as satellites and car navigations, air travel, the banking system, our computers, everything that is electronic. It will cause major problems for the world.

“Large areas will be without electricity power and to repair that damage will be hard as that takes time.”

Dr Fisher added: “Systems will just not work. The flares change the magnetic field on the earth that is rapid and like a lightning bolt. That is the solar affect.”

A “space weather” conference in Washington DC last week, attended by NASA scientists, policy-makers, researchers and government officials, was told of similar warnings.

Click on the link for the full article

Space storm. How much accumulation will we see?

Depends on the how soon the phasing occurs, but at this point we're likely to start out with some fire but that will eventually transition to a fire/brimstone mix, and finally to all brimstone with up to 6 inches accumulation possible.

Depends on the how soon the phasing occurs, but at this point we're likely to start out with some fire but that will eventually transition to a fire/brimstone mix, and finally to all brimstone with up to 6 inches accumulation possible.

Well, I'm not shovelling THAT ****.

~Bang

Maybe,, but there sure isn't anything we can do about it.

I'm going to slather my computer and phone in SPF 175

~Bang

Well, while you buttmunches load up on suncreen, I'll be burrowing underground: my husband and I are already getting the blueprints drawn up for our fully functional nuclear fallout/UV light shelter.

By the way, if you can't tell, my previous post on this topic was in jest. You know I'm rarely serious in a tailgate thread!

Well, while you buttmunches load up on suncreen, I'll be burrowing underground: my husband and I are already getting the blueprints drawn up for our fully functional nuclear fallout/UV light shelter.

By the way, if you can't tell, my previous post on this topic was in jest. You know I'm rarely serious in a tailgate thread!

Sorry, didn't note the joke,, probably because you very well may be right. It might be serious.. who knows?

Although if it does screw up everything electronic.. there will be money to make replacing it, eh?

~Bang

Sorry, didn't note the joke,, probably because you very well may be right. It might be serious.. who knows?

Although if it does screw up everything electronic.. there will be money to make replacing it, eh?

~Bang

It's my Friday. On days when I'm wiped out, I'm still full of ****, but my tone is more serious, with less smiley emoticons.

That is a terribly written article for a supposedly serious newspaper, with factual errors and hyperbole.

"Dr Fisher, 69, said the storm, which will cause the Sun to reach temperatures of more than 10,000 F (5500C)". Eh ... that's the normal surface temperature of the Sun.

The headline is just a bit of an exaggeration given that Fisher actually says in the article:

"“If you know that a hazard is coming … and you have time enough to prepare and take precautions, then you can avoid trouble”.

Satellites will monitor any large eruptions and important electronics will be 'parked'. The rest of us can just turn our damn phones off for a few minutes.

There's also the small matter of us being in the path of any eruption. Being 92 million miles away a direct hit is kind of improbable.

Oh it is a very real threat,though a bit overstated probably....unless it's worse :point2sky

The timing and severity is rather variable,as is the impact on modern technology.

So who's up for a Solar Flare party? :beavisnbutthead:

Archived