Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: New Ala. gov: Just Christians are his family

Hunter44

Good thing Jesus taught love for every single type of person on the planet, that part of his philosophy seems to have been so well embraced by so many Christians out there...

Yeah, sometimes, I wonder if some of my fellow Christians have actually read the words of Christ in their proper context.

You picked another winner, Alabama. Way to friggin' go.

Burgold, I don't think it's just the conservatives trying to "change" Huck Finn.

As for this gov, screw you. You'll be in heaven, bored, while I'll be in :evil: with the other sprots fans, whores, and fornicators.

I think you are confusinging Tom Sawyer and not Huck Finn. I think Sawyer wanted to be with all the pirates and nogoodniks and so didn't totally mind the notion that he might Fall. Huck was much more pragmatic. (Then again, it's been a while since I read either.)

I think you are confusinging Tom Sawyer and not Huck Finn. I think Sawyer wanted to be with all the pirates and nogoodniks and so didn't totally mind the notion that he might Fall. Huck was much more pragmatic. (Then again, it's been a while since I read either.)
Wait, what?

This is a fantastic example of why Christians need to be very careful about using "Christian" jargon (or even drop it altogether). Every group has its own language, of course, but it's all about PR (and part of Christianity is relating to non-Christians, so PR is important).

I can just imagine the reaction if he had instead said that he wanted to see the whole world "bathed in the blood". :ols:

This is a fantastic example of why Christians need to be very careful about using "Christian" jargon (or even drop it altogether). Every group has its own language, of course, but it's all about PR (and part of Christianity is relating to non-Christians, so PR is important).

I can just imagine the reaction if he had instead said that he wanted to see the whole world "bathed in the blood". :ols:

True. And a cautionary note for all.

How often do we see in this forum somebody posting a bad-sounding quote from a political opponent, putting their own interpretation onto the words. Any attempt to provide context or the actual meaning is met with a stubborn refusal, "That's whet he SAID! That's what he SAID!". Might make for good chest-pounding but it's frequently not a truthful take on the speaker's intent.

I dunno about the child molesters, but the rest of them sound like a pretty good Friday night. :ols:

edit: Sports fans? Really? :ols::ols:

I'm surprised the sign left off Catholics.

---------- Post added January-19th-2011 at 12:12 PM ----------

In context, this clearly was not meant as an insult.

It's still a knuckleheaded thing to say in the context of an inauguration speech.

I'd agree on both counts. And as a politician I'm sure he'd never take anything an opponent said out of context.

I am waiting for those one of those I'm outraged at Muslims for ----------------------, threads from liberals or the Godless demographic to somewhat balance out their frequent mock outrage posts at all Christians, which will happen around the time Lucifer can use ice skates down there so I have a long wait.

I am waiting for those one of those I'm outraged at Muslims for ----------------------, threads from liberals or the Godless demographic to somewhat balance out their frequent mock outrage posts at all Christians, which will happen around the time Lucifer can use ice skates down there so I have a long wait.

Tell you what. When we have a Muslim get elected as a state governor, and he gives an inaguration speech saying that only Muslims are his brothers, I promise to express my disapproval in the ensuing thread. :)

Wait, what?

Just a joke. That sign you posted reminded me of a scene from Tom Sawyer where Aunt Polly is trying to convince Tom why he needs to be a good boy... and Tom looks over who's going where and decides that Hell is a far better and more enjoyable destination. I thought it would be fun to bring up this in conjunction with your Huck Finn censorship reference.

(Of course, I can't remember if I have this backwards... it's entirely possible that Huck say the rapscallions, pirates, and fun people of Hell and disdained church and larning and not Tom)

Ah well, another obscure reference joke fail :ols:

Will he be telling non-Christians to kiss his ass? :silly:

He doesn't need to. I would though if they continue to bash the religion or snivel because their agenda isn't going as far as they want. And the recent history of how the NAACP has treated the GOP cough Dubba Ya even though he did show up for the first one I don't blame him for his initial reaction.

ps

( Dubba Ya afterwards met with only the Urban League black scholars instead of putting up with the disrespectful NAACP)

---------- Post added January-19th-2011 at 12:34 PM ----------

Tell you what. When we have a Muslim get elected as a state governor, and he gives an inaguration speech saying that only Muslims are his brothers, I promise to express my disapproval in the ensuing thread. :)

So the violence committed by them here in the US will continue to be ignored by the left as it is daily abroad? OK.

And there is nothing wrong with Catholics,Christians, Jews, or Muslims showing an allegiance to the brothers and sisters of his or her faith as long as it does not cause conflict in how they govern or represent the people.

So the violence committed by them here in the US will continue to be ignored by the left as it is daily abroad? OK.

What does that have to do with this discussion? Nothing. As usual, you are going off on a tangent.

And there is nothing wrong with Catholics,Christians, Jews, or Muslims showing an allegiance to the brothers and sisters of his or her faith as long as it does not cause conflict in how they govern or represent the people.

Somehow I doubt that you would feel this way if a Muslim governor said that just Muslims are his family and talked about nonbelievers.

As for this gov, screw you. You'll be in heaven, bored, while I'll be in :evil: with the other sprots fans, whores, and fornicators.

"Any one who ever saw Monty Python's Life of Brian, . . .

"No, I'm sorry. He doesn't have a sense of humor."

---------- Post added January-19th-2011 at 12:50 PM ----------

Don't forget your hypothetical Muslim governor (whose first official act is to address a mosque) saying that non-Muslims aren't his brothers, but that he wants them to be.

I see no problem with what he said. He was talking "brother and sister" in biblical terms, and it should be obvious that he was not referring to non-brothers/sisters as inferior, so there is no reason to be offended.

Does the whole nation get their panties in a wad every time a black person refer to another black person as a "brother" ?

Does the whole nation get their panties in a wad every time a black person refer to another black person as a "brother" ?

We're not talking about some guy on the street. We are talking about an elected leader. And leaders who are elected to represent their constituents need to choose their words better.

If Obama said white folks weren't his brothers and sisters but he'd like them to be I have a feeling there would be a quite a few wadded panties around here.

Archived