Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: New Ala. gov: Just Christians are his family

Hunter44

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_alabama_governor_christians

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley told a church crowd just moments into his new administration that those who have not accepted Jesus as their savior are not his brothers and sisters, shocking some critics who questioned Tuesday whether he can be fair to non-Christians.

"Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother," Bentley said Monday, his inauguration day, according to The Birmingham News.

This is wrong in so many ways.... :doh:

Ummm... :movefast:

Don't think I''ll be scheduling any family reunions in Alabama for the next few years.

So, who are the modern Republicans... the list keeps growing.

They want to end integration.

They want to remove minorities from History.

They want to heavily censor classic literature.

They are not brothers and sisters to any minority religion.

and that's just the stuff posted on ES in the last ten days. (I think I missed one too. Mind you, I don't think this is who Republicans really are, but they are really trying to make the case, aren't they?)

After his speech, Bentley said he did not mean to insult anyone.

This is the part that gets me. I'm sure he didn't mean to insult anyone, but how could he not know how it would come across?

I remember seeing this same disconnect in the 'Anne Coulter want to perfect the Jews' thread.

Perhaps there is some more context that the article is leaving out.

I believe he meant brothers and sisters in Christ, and by taking the full quote in context, I agree with him.

I want everyone to be part of the brotherhood and sisterhood of Christ. I am sad when I know people aren't a part of that. Having said that, I don't treat them any differently and until there is evidence this Governor treats non-Christians unfairly this is just overreaction.

Ummm... :movefast:

Don't think I''ll be scheduling any family reunions in Alabama for the next few years.

So, who are the modern Republicans... the list keeps growing.

They want to end integration.

They want to remove minorities from History.

They want to heavily censor classic literature.

They are not brothers and sisters to any minority religion.

and that's just the stuff posted on ES in the last ten days. (I think I missed one too. Mind you, I don't think this is who Republicans really are, but they are really trying to make the case, aren't they?)

I'd point out that the Republicans in the house have decided that tax cuts don't have to have corresponding spending cuts.

(Sure glad the Tea Party has swept the GOP clean of the "tax cut and spend" crowd, and have sent to Washington a completely new Party whose #1 objective is reducing the deficit.)

---------- Post added January-19th-2011 at 09:50 AM ----------

I believe he meant brothers and sisters in Christ. Overreaction by non-believers I suppose.

I would suspect so. I suspect he figured that his words would be judged in the context of a preacher before a congregation, rather than in the context of a Governor making an inauguration-day speech.

Which makes him dumb, but not necessarily a bigot or whatever other label you want to use.

I would suspect so. I suspect he figured that his words would be judged in the context of a preacher before a congregation, rather than in the context of a Governor making an inauguration-day speech.

Which makes him dumb, but not necessarily a bigot or whatever other label you want to use.

Correct. It could have waited but it happened nonetheless.

Will he be telling non-Christians to kiss his ass? :silly:

That's the one I forgot.

It's getting to be one big ole happy melting pot, isn't it?

---------- Post added January-19th-2011 at 10:49 AM ----------

Strange, especially when he probably considers you God's chosen :pfft:

Well, then he should listen to what I say twice... no thrice as hard. (forboding music) And so should you.

I think his words directly after saying the title quote mean a lot.

he is saying that we are not his brother or sister, but he wants us to be.

Now, if that means he wants us to become Christian, that could be an issue, but I think they all want us to do that. But if he's simply saying that he's looking forward to finding common ground, I can get behind it.

It doesn't sound to me like he's turning his back on anyone, and it realy sounds as if he's speaking metaphorically from his basis of faith as opposed to how he'll govern.

Now, if he started treating people differently, then I'd have to gripe, but his comment doesn't bother me or strike me as sinister.

~Bang

But on a somewhat more serious note, I find this statement made by a secular leader of state to be offputting at the least. My head understands that there is no offense and that this will very likely be much ado about nothing, but as in telling the NAACP to kiss the rump, it seems such an exclusive comment and I think the Governor does need to understand that and be inclusive to all who live in his state. Not because he will treat them differently, but because what a governor says has ripples and can act as guidance or permission.

I doubt the Governor meant harm by this statement, but harm can come of it.

Good thing Jesus taught love for every single type of person on the planet, that part of his philosophy seems to have been so well embraced by so many Christians out there...

Christians believe spreading the gospel and being part of the brotherhood of Christ is a form of love. How is calling everyone to be a part of that not sharing love?

Burgold, I don't think it's just the conservatives trying to "change" Huck Finn.

As for this gov, screw you. You'll be in heaven, bored, while I'll be in :evil: with the other sprots fans, whores, and fornicators.

l_28c44e99d8844f64a8bb8def144345d3.jpg

:evilg:

Archived