Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutler was really bad last year... McNabb was pretty awful this year. Coincidence?

Burgold

I remember a lot of laughter at Chicago's expense last year... as well as at Denver for choosing Orton over Campbell. Jay Cutler stunk it up last year. In his second year, things seem to be clicking. McNabb likewise was pretty awful. Now, the problem with McNabb is his age. If next year clicks then how many more seasons do we get out of a 35 year old qb. On top of that the question is "if" it clicks. You could make an argument that McNabb was getting worse as the season wore on, not better.

So, I guess the question is this thread is two fold... 1) Will McNabb get it if he gets a second year and 2) Can the Redskins afford to take that risk.

Considering what we "paid" for McNabb's services, can we afford not to try?

Of course the coaching staff will assess and decide, but as a member of the chatty rabble looking in from outside, I have to wonder exactly what was the cause of it all. Is it that Donovan is done and just cannot physically handle the job anymore? That's a helluva dropoff and a huge assumption to make. Is it a mental thing, ie. conflict w/ coaching/scheme, ego, too intent on doing things his way? Again, a damning indictment for an accomplished pro. Or is possible that being forced to let go of his way and learn a new scheme, new techniques, a very different approach from what he has had, resulted in the dip between where he was and where he can be in the future? Of the three this smacks as some kind of logical. His worsening performance could easily have been the expected result of letting go of previous skills to change over to a new way of playing.

McNabb has always been a competitor, and I am hard-pressed to accept that he just can't do it, won't do it, or will see this season as anything but a stain on his personal escutcheon. I won't be a bit surprised to see him still in the B&G next season, starting and doing better. Sometimes being a little humbled can be a huge motivator.

my interepretation of the mcnabb benching is not only that he didnt get it, but that shanny felt like he really wasnt going to get it.

i think the reasons shanny feels like he may not get it is the key- i think they feel like either 1) he's not quick enough (mentally- not trying to say he's dumb, btw) to pick up a new system. again, not a slight- some people are smart, but they struggle trying to learn something new, especially after doind the same thing for 12 years. 2) he's not willing to run the system the way the shanahans want it run. 3) he doesnt have the skill set to run the system (accuracy issues, perhaps not nimble enough late in the season). this (accuracy) should have been diagnosed before a trade was made for him.

there may be more reasons, and he may indeed end up getting it. but it seems to me like shanny doesnt believe he will.

I think as a team thats still a few years away from being a contender we could possibly take the chance but as an organization i dont think they will. If he is still on this team for the 1st game we will owe him a ton of money right? So y pay this guy a ton of money have him not be able to get it and then not be able to trade him b/c of his contract. I guess if he sticks around for all the camps and shows Mike that he can do it it's worth a shot but i dont even know if Mike is willing to give him that chance.

McNabb knew the system in Philadelphia as well as any qb in the league understands his offense and the offense was built around his skills. Yet, Philadelphia chose to get rid of him - and did better with a guy who was new to their offensive scheme. Time to just admit that McNabb is on the downside of his career. I'm a big McNabb fan from his SU days, but he's not a mutant superhero. He's likely to be worse next year. I'm not sure why anyone would spend $16M on him.

If McNabb showed progress then yea, but he didn't, not at all. He is too old to waste another year on when we could be finding the QB that will be here long-term. Cassell and Cutler are younger guys and they have much more of a team around them, we do not.

I apparently am the only one who gives much credit to Shanny for admitting a mistake, all this talk about his stubborn ego and whatever... but he flat out admits that a QB he evaluated and brought in was a mistake.

---------- Post added January-19th-2011 at 02:43 PM ----------

We made a mistake letting JC leave, but really had no choice since we brought in DMC.

We need to keep DMC cause even if he isn't playing at his best, he makes one heck of a mentor.

No we didn't. We let him go when we were still able to get something for him. Otherwise, he would have just walked away and we wouldn't have anything to show for it. JC is a very very average QB and it shows.. I'm glad we were smart about the trade.

The point of Cutler getting better is irrelevant cuz they got a new OC. It was not like he learned the system now, no they just got a new system. Cutler is a good qb, but a dominant defense and special teams allows him to get away with some awful **** too. Similar to the ravens in 2000. McNabb should be let go he isn't getting younger and definitely not getting better. I wouldn't even want him to mentor any qb if what Sonny Jergonson says is true about how he doesn't practice hard. Trade him and hope for scraps.

Also people keep saying we spent a ton on him, but a second rounder could also be quite hit or miss it doesn't always mean superstar as any pick in the draft. The NFL is hit or miss they swung and missed give em a break.

So, I guess the question is this thread is two fold... 1) Will McNabb get it if he gets a second year and 2) Can the Redskins afford to take that risk.

1. I think there's a better than average chance he would succeed given a 2nd year. I don't think that's going to happen because neither party trusts the other enough for it to occur.

2. No: I think it's best for us to part ways with Donovan and move on

Jay Cutler is the same QB in Chicago that he was when excelling in Denver in 2008. Donovan McNabb was the same QB here that he was in 2009 with the Eagles. Only their support systems changed.

Shanny erred in thinking that he could change Donovan's mechanics and make him better. Since that experiment failed, he has two options: he can make make major adjustments to his scheme for McNabb as Andy Reid did, or wrap it up and move on. Since Donovan will be 35 next season, moving on is the right call.

I am confident that if McNabb plays here next year, he will have a better season than last. And most likely, we will be a better team in the short term.

However, "better" is a relative term, and at his best, based on skill, age, and supporting cast, he is still on the outside looking in at the elite QB class, and we will have used another year on a player that is not part of the future, or any sense of long term solution. We will once again prop ourselves up to somewhere around .500.

Let's not compound the mistake by refusing to move on. This has been a great issue for much of the free spending Snyder tenure - not simply that the big name fails, but that we steadfastly refuse to admit that they have fail - insisting that this will be the year.

This is not the year. We need to widening our persepective to think of what is best for the next five years, not what is best for solely today.

Considering what we "paid" for McNabb's services, can we afford not to try?
Ding! DIng! Ding! We have a winner!

Maybe, just maybe, we try to get another WR so Moss is not double-covered every game and the opposing team doesn't get some guy in a wheelchair to cover the number 2 receivers? Maybe, just maybe, we get an offensive line that can produce an effective running game so it's not so patently obvious what we're going to do on every down and we hold backs and tight ends to block? Maybe, just maybe, we upgrade the offensive line to the point that a sack is a rarity and the QB has time to throw on almost every play? Maybe then we evaluate who we have at QB?

We've tried replacing the QB. Let's try getting the current QB's some better weapons and some better protection. If the QB is still bad, next year's QB crop looks better any way. Regardless, it's Shanahan's decision on McNabb. Grossman is a free agent, but McNabb is here as long as Shanahan wants him.

Can anyone explain to me how McNabb is a good mentor and who he has mentored in the past. I keep hearing he should be kept around for this reason without any explenation as to why.

He mentored Michael Vick last year. In interview with Vick, he says he hung around with Donovan all season and Donovan showed him how a real starting quarterback approaches his job - film study, practice habits, off-season conditioning. That's why all these Washington leaks about Donovan being out of shape, bad practice habits, dumb really don't ring true for me.

Donovan will not succeed here next year because Kyle will not change his system to fit Donovan's strengths and Donovan does not have the ability to be succesful in Kyle's system as it is.

However, if he is ends up at a team last year that modifies their system to fit him and has a decent offensive line and some decent playmakers, he will be very good. I firmly believe he has plenty left in the tank and his pride has taken a huge huge hit.

With what we gave up for him I think we have to keep him around in some capacity. Starter, back-up, keep the seat warm until whoever is ready to step up. Dropping him for a 4th or 5th is crazy. I certainly do not think he is the QB of the future, but I think he is the QB for next year (or part of it). With a solid running game, depth and talent at WR, a kicker who does not trip over his johnson every time he lines up and an improved O Line, he SHOULD get better.

1) No, you don't get better with age and your observation that he actually got worse as the season went on is a mutual feeling and makes sense since he's old with a worn out arm

2) Hell no. I say it like that because you must first consider what this means. It means we delay getting a franchise QB which we need. It also means that we are now on the hook for millions to a very old player. And finally it means more drama for this team which we don't need. We can't afford what year 2 of the McNabb era would mean to this franchise.

---------- Post added January-19th-2011 at 01:31 PM ----------

Can anyone explain to me how McNabb is a good mentor and who he has mentored in the past. I keep hearing he should be kept around for this reason without any explenation as to why.

Example Mike Vick this year and evidenced by his comments about working under McNabb for a season. Kolb is another example but the jury is still out on that dude

---------- Post added January-19th-2011 at 01:32 PM ----------

I apparently am the only one who gives much credit to Shanny for admitting a mistake, all this talk about his stubborn ego and whatever... but he flat out admits that a QB he evaluated and brought in was a mistake.

No your not. I often point out the refreshing way the teams dealt with players this year and it's just one example where I think we did good with a player. Admit your mistake, move on. No sense in chasing good money after bad

Ahhh this has been running through my mind. For awhile I thought he was gone, but looking into the future

if we can't get the guy we want and/or need, Why not fire The Mcnabb Train up for a 2nd stint??? His last

pass in the B&G was a touchdown to Moss. But in retrospect, he was pretty God awful at time last year.

Stupid throws and Bad throws. But if we cant get what we want for him and cant find a stud in the 10th pick,

Dont be surprised if we see McNabb back out there ES.

HttR

Archived