Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are the Redskins two top positions of need

Burgold

First and second round picks are supposed to be players that contribute immediatly. Now, we all know that the Redskins have a bevy of needs. In fact, other than tight end there may not be a position where we don't have a need, but in your ideal world... what two positions would you like to draft in the first two rounds? You can name a player if you want, but I'm more interested in positions and looking at what are the two positions that you most hope would be addressed NOW.

I think I'm leaning towards Nose Tackle and Outside Linebacker.

If you want someone who can contribute immediatly i would have to go with WR in the 1st and either NT/C in the second.

If we can give the guy time to develop id go QB 1st and prob WR 2nd.

I know our D was bad last year but our O has been terrible for many many years. I think it's time we addressed some major flaws and bring in a YOUNG big time playmaker and put some life back into the O. JMO tho.

Quarterback and Center. If we can anchor our offense in this draft, we need to take that opportunity. I think Anthony Bryant can be our starting Nose Tackle, and you can always find quality backups in the later rounds and through free agency. Our defense is a lot closer, personnel wise, our offense is, scheme wise.

Best player available at a needed spot.

If the talent gap is huge between a needed spot or just an upgrade at a spot I'd take the upgrade.

This team has not had long term goals since I can remember. It is almost always about the next season (minus the Jason Campbell move).

Even Shanahan fell into that trap and he had to know how many holes the Redskins had.

Think in terms of three years down the road. The talent level on the Packers is sickeningly good and they didn't get there by thinking one season ahead.

I think Antonio Bryant really came along at the end of the season and deserves a chance to be our starting NT.

OLB is a definite immediate need to me. Andre Carter is gone, and Zo, while he shows immense heart and dedication does not have the right body to be an effective pass coverage/speed rush OLB.

OLB is my #1 need

WR, as has been proven this year can be filled adequately by guys getting cut and free agents. Seeing as a WR doesn't usually hit his stride until 2-3 years out of college anyway, I don't see how drafting a WR could provide an immediate impact. We also have Kelly and Austin to evaluate further this off season. And before anyone says "OH THEY BOTH ARE WORTHLESS", we are just as likely to have a top tier WR out of those two as we are with drafting one at #40.

I want a FS. A good FS in todays NFL is a game changer. They get interceptions, they deliver huge hits and force fumbles and can really take away what would be a bad TE match-up. Doughty is a great ST player but lacks the athletic ability to be anything more than an okay FS and he will always be seen as a weak spot in the secondary by opposing teams. Moore flat out stunk this season.

Quarterback and Center. If we can anchor our offense in this draft, we need to take that opportunity. I think Anthony Bryant can be our starting Nose Tackle, and you can always find quality backups in the later rounds and through free agency. Our defense is a lot closer, personnel wise, our offense is, scheme wise.

This is my answer as well.

Center, nose tackle and qb.

Reasoning for each...

Center, we cannot run by the guards and only by the tackles. How many times do u see the inside implode due to center play or lack off.

The center is huge and its about time we address it.

Nosetackle- about the most important possition in a 3-4. The nose takes double teams and controls the middle litterly. He allows the 2 inside lbs to create havic.

Note all good 3-4 teams have a good one if not 2!

Qb- well this is clean cut we don't have a superstar in the longest time... And instead we've had journaymen. Big gamble with high risk and rewards. Both good and well we know bad,,,

Example.. Shular, campbell.

Offensive line and defensive line...

We've had protection issues for like the past 6 years. We have gradually improved but we are a center or guard away from being somewhat good, as others have pointed out.

Honestly I don't think we could go wrong on defense because I think we need help at every position. I guess an OLB would make sense in the 3-4.

QB is definitely a need but I just don't know who will be available this year for us. Is McNabb definitely gone? Probably.

First and second round picks are supposed to be players that contribute immediatly. Now, we all know that the Redskins have a bevy of needs. In fact, other than tight end there may not be a position where we don't have a need, but in your ideal world... what two positions would you like to draft in the first two rounds? You can name a player if you want, but I'm more interested in positions and looking at what are the two positions that you most hope would be addressed NOW.

I think I'm leaning towards Nose Tackle and Outside Linebacker.

Maybe its just nostalgia for Sean Taylor but I don't think so when I watch Ed Reed, Troy Palamalou and even rookie Eric Berry in the post season. I think we need to give Landry that superstar FS again. Once a year we see the anniversary threads, but I have to say I think our overall woes and talent deficiencies on the defensive side of the ball have been really exacerbated by the death of Sean Taylor. The media and league glosses over it and just says "oh its the hapless, dysfunctional Redskins". But losing Sean was a huge blow to this team from a football standpoint.

The personal tragedy of it aside, he was our most talented player and as much as many of us loathe the Cerrato years, I am quite sure Landry was taken BECAUSE we had Sean Taylor. There was absolutely a synergistic effect of adding a player like Landry knowing we had Sean Taylor at FS where the sum of the two was much greater that they were individually. If we had Sean right now, we'd undoubtedly have the best safety tandem in the league. Those long deep bombs that epitomize so much of our last few years would have been eradicated. Desean Jackson is far less likely taunting us on the first play of the game with that deep play action crap if Sean Taylor was back there. Desean Jackson would have been petrified of that man.

Sorry for such a long post but its a long winded way of saying, I think its time to find Sean's replacement (from a purely football perspective of course).

Simply based on need and not who's there in the draft, and not who we might already have to fill in (like Bryant), I'd have to go with a behemoth NT to really give us the D line push that the 3-4 depends on, and then interior O line C/G. The cases made for OLB and FS are compelling and when you get to 3rd and 4th choices they become moreso, but our lines desperately need upgrading since so many of our woes stem directly from their weaknesses.

Maybe its just nostalgia for Sean Taylor but I don't think so when I watch Ed Reed, Troy Palamalou and even rookie Eric Berry in the post season. I think we need to give Landry that superstar FS again. Once a year we see the anniversary threads, but I have to say I think our overall woes and talent deficiencies on the defensive side of the ball have been really exacerbated by the death of Sean Taylor. The media and league glosses over it and just says "oh its the hapless, dysfunctional Redskins". But losing Sean was a huge blow to this team from a football standpoint.

The personal tragedy of it aside, he was our most talented player and as much as many of us loathe the Cerrato years, I am quite sure Landry was taken BECAUSE we had Sean Taylor. There was absolutely a synergistic effect of adding a player like Landry knowing we had Sean Taylor at FS where the sum of the two was much greater that they were individually. If we had Sean right now, we'd undoubtedly have the best safety tandem in the league. Those long deep bombs that epitomize so much of our last few years would have been eradicated. Desean Jackson is far less likely taunting us on the first play of the game with that deep play action crap if Sean Taylor was back there. Desean Jackson would have been petrified of that man.

Sorry for such a long post but its a long winded way of saying, I think its time to find Sean's replacement (from a purely football perspective of course).

I agree completely, but a Sean Taylor is a once-in-a-lifetime player. We'll never find a replacement for him, because as you so eloquently put, he couldn't be replaced. We'll find a good enough Free Safety, a ballhawking, Ed Reed type hopefully, who we can count on to get those desperately needed interceptions. But Sean was a freak: linebacker size, cornerback speed, and receiver hands, and he could hit like a Mack Truck. He was as close to the perfect combination for a defensive player as you could get. The closest we can get is a ballhawk, so that whoever that may be, plus Landry, would equal 21.

Defense (NT, OLB, FS)

Offense (WR, RB, C, G)

We could fill allot of our holes via FA and the draft in April. Lets hope we go the majority of the work this year so we can be hitting on all cylinders in 2012.

Hail!

---------- Post added January-17th-2011 at 09:11 AM ----------

I agree completely, but a Sean Taylor is a once-in-a-lifetime player. We'll never find a replacement for him, because as you so eloquently put, he couldn't be replaced. We

'll find a good enough Free Safety, a ballhawking, Ed Reed type hopefully, who we can count on to get those desperately needed interceptions. But Sean was a freak: linebacker size, cornerback speed, and receiver hands, and he could hit like a Mack Truck. He was as close to the perfect combination for a defensive player as you could get. The closest we can get is a ballhawk, so that whoever that may be, plus Landry, would equal 21.

Man, I hear you. I love Sean (the football player) with all my heart but we can't keep putting this band-aid on the position. This is ridiculous. There are FS out there who can keep up with WR's & RB's (serviceable coverage) and make tackles. We haven't had that in a while. I love LaRon but he can't play FS in the NFL. Kareem was injured all year and Reed belongs on special teams.

Draft a natural FS. (RIP to the great 1)

Hail!

I think we can get some good o line in the free agency so not that worried there and I also feel the same about wr as we only need a 1# receiver as we already have Moss and Armstrong however defensively is another matter because even though we have bryant though he can't play NT by himself for the whole year we also need another DE as at the moment we only have have carriker, we need a OLB to play along side orakpo, I think we are fine at ILB at the moment with Fletcher, Riley and Henson, if we keep stone hands or get Nnamdi Asomugha instead we will be fine at CBand lastly we need a FS badly as moore can not handle it and I think we should trade down with our first pick unless either Blaine gabbert, marcell dareus or Robert Quinn are still on the board and then draft with our second pick Rahim Moore or Kenny Tate.

My thoughts exactly Burgold ... as bad as our OL was this year, I did see improvement there, and we do have a year under our belts in this system and some young prospects that we don't really know what we have with them. We do still need some interior OL studs. but we may be able to find some value in FA'cy on the offensive side of the ball.

That being said, if we REALLY want to help our offense out, we need to get some major help on the defensive side of the ball and improve form the next to last worst defense in the NFL.

I think we need a DT (could be a NT or RDE, or a player who can rotate in between both spots) and an outside LB'er. But then again, it depends on who is available. I don't know enough about the defensive prospects form this draft class other than Bowers, Fairly and Peterson. HAIL.

With the first two picks I think one has to be offensive line and tow is going to have to be is Nose Tackle, I would say that these are the easiest to fill, through the draft but also they may want to get an Inside Linebacker with experience through free agency and no need for anymore TE's, lol.

Archived