Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Minneapolis Star Tribune: Packers can thank Favre for producing Matthews

FanboyOf91

While wondering if Jay Cutler is aware that Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune did some research and discovered a that quarterbacks making their playoff debuts are 5-19 since 2003 ...

FIRST DOWN:

The first sentence of my column the day the Packers traded Brett Favre to the Jets in 2008 went like this: GREEN BAY, WIS. -- The Green Bay Packers handled a difficult situation beautifully.

I'm still recovering from the e-beatin' I took. Vikings fans ripped me. Favre fans torched me. Ted Thompson haters were even more PO'd.

Former Packer and then-Vikings safety Darren Sharper, a big TT Hate-ah, supposedly was asking for me as he walked onto the practice field in Mankato. I wasn't there, but he politely told me later on that I was completely nuts.

Favre made it personal between himself and Thompson. Thompson had a viable replacement he felt would become an elite QB in Aaron Rodgers. So Thompson dumped Favre outside the conference in New York for a conditional fourth-round draft pick.

I thought a fourth-rounder was a steal for a soon-to-be 40-year-old who had already played 17 seasons. A year later, that steal became a ridiculous steal, a third-rounder because Favre played more than 50 percent of the Jets' snaps.

I mention this now because in a few weeks, Clay Matthews is expected to be named NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

And what does that have to do with the Favre trade, you ask?

Well, in 2009, Thompson packaged that third-round pick with others in a trade with New England that gave Ted the 26th overall draft pick. And with that pick, Thompson selected Matthews, who wasn't exactly a star at USC. Now, Matthews is about to be named the league's best defensive player.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/113462979.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUgOy9cP3DieyckcUsI?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUgOy9cP3DieyckcUsI

Brett Favre has had a great career, but as a QB, he has never, ever been as good as Rodgers. Favre is a choke artist.

this is indeed one of the truest statements i have read in a while. Favre and the "best ever" talk he gets is ridiculous...a winner? yes, a tough sonova****? yes, a hall of famer? yes, bur never EVER has he had the tools or has been as good as Rodgers is at this present time!

Brett Favre has had a great career, but as a QB, he has never, ever been as good as Rodgers. Favre is a choke artist.

His Super Bowl ring, and 2 NFC Championships trump all that, and trump anything Rodgers has done thus far.

Hate Favre all you want, but Rodger's resume doesn't even come close.

It's a simple fact of math, that when you play as many years and as many games as Favre, you're FAR more likely to choke than anyone else.

For that, he deserves a hell of a lot more slack than the people who are constantly bashing him, and the critics are the real drama queens.

His Super Bowl ring, and 2 NFC Championships trump all that, and trump anything Rodgers has done thus far.

It's a simple fact of math, that when you play as many years and as many games as Favre, you're FAR more likely to choke than anyone else.

For that, he deserves a hell of a lot more slack than the people who are constantly bashing him, and the critics are the real drama queens.

Rodgers still have plenty of years left to match Favre. He became the full time starter in 2008 and already in his first conference championship appearance this season. Brett hasn't won a NFC Championship since 1997.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, in 2009, Thompson packaged that third-round pick with others in a trade with New England that gave Ted the 26th overall draft pick. And with that pick, Thompson selected Matthews, who wasn't exactly a star at USC. Now, Matthews is about to be named the league's best defensive player.

1295281213018.jpg

1 super bowl ring out of the way.

Favre was a gunslinger. Rodgers is more of a Manning/Brady type QB, precise and tactical. I actually enjoy watching that more than Favre heave bombs that could go 50/50 either way. We'll see if Rodgers can pass Favre though. He's already missed some games this year. Favre's Super Bowl came relatively early in his career too.

Even ignoring this whole Super Bowl season, Rodgers was as good in his second full season as a starter as Favre has ever been. He doesn't have the full resume and he may never match the sheer volume of statistics Favre was able to amass but he's a far more polished and efficient passer with improvisational skills that rival those of old #4.

Favre would have found a way to lose that game. We all know it. He'd have gone head to head with Roethlisberger in the bonehead department while still impressing 90% of the fams with some crazy great plays too. He is like Roethlisberger, Rodgers is like Montana.

Archived