Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Eagles Fire Sean McDermott

terpskins10

McDermott had a bad trait of using Westy style hyperbole talking up average players like they were great. Remember Ernie Sims as a "shark in the water" during training camp? How did that work out?

However, the main problem for the Eagles defense in 2010 was a lack of talent. If they don't get that reconciled, you can resurrect Jim Johnson and this defense isn't going to be good enough.

To be fair, though, the Eagles fans call for everyone's head after losses...

Tell me about it.

Warning, link below is NSFW, and may damage your brain from the stupidity. My god, it's like our board: If we suddenly lost most of our membership, everybody got a case of the potty mouth, developed single digit IQs and struggled to post more than one sentence at a time, that is.

Westy and the other long term, articulate, able to get along posters here are THE EXCEPTIONS to Eagles fans. The other posters that were here recently ARE the typical Eagles fans.

Thank you, ES staff and members.

Link to an Eagles board

Red Zone defense can't be that bad. It alone is probably grounds for firing.

But the talent is poor. I don't care who you put in there as DC, that defense will struggle. It is a right step, though. He had to be fired. But if Eagles brass thinks they can keep the same personnel and be competitive, then this firing is one hell of a scapegoat snowjob. They have to upgrade the talent.

EDIT

Maybe they were just afraid of losing Jauron and want to elevate him to DC.

Not that he did well with the secondary, but again, talent.

Reid said in a season-ending news conference McDermott would be retained.

Within three days of that declaration, sources say Reid informed McDermott he had changed his mind and would relieve McDermott of his duties after two years as the team's defensive coordinator.

McDermott did not do a great job. I was hoping they'd keep him!

So what made AR change his mind...and so quickly?

Rumor is they didn't want to lose DB coach Dick Jauron who looked to be going to Cleveland as DC and Eagles will promote him to that position

A couple Schefter tweets:

mortreport - Sean McDermott is a candidate as DC with Broncos and Panthers after Andy Reid told him the legend of the late Jim Johnson was too large. 3 minutes ago via web Retweeted by AdamSchefter

Jim Mora Jr. is one of the candidates the Eagles will consider as their new defensive coordinator. 4 minutes ago via web

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter

Sean didn't have a boatload of talent to start with, and the injuries just made a barely average defense worst. There were also times when he seemed overwhelmed and unable to make proper adjustments in games. Still, the Eagles had enough talent to at least be better than their 76% fail rate in the red zone indicates. Part of that is scheme and preparation.

I wish him the best. Following Jim Johnson had to be tough.

Sean didn't have a boatload of talent to start with, and the injuries just made a barely average defense worst. There were also times when he seemed overwhelmed and unable to make proper adjustments in games. Still, the Eagles had enough talent to at least be better than their 76% fail rate in the red zone indicates. Part of that is scheme and preparation.

I wish him the best. Following Jim Johnson had to be tough.

See, this is where the Eagles organization just fools it's fans. AR even said it about being tough to fill JJ's shoes as a reason for his firing. OK. He wasn't great, obviously, but I don't care if you put CHuck Noll in charge of that defense. They would still suck. Now the organization is putting it out there and saying..."see? We are making changes to improve" where in reality, unless they make some personnel changes, they are still sunk.

Oh and lol at Jim Mora and Vick being reunited. I think that's great.

McDermott had a bad trait of using Westy style hyperbole talking up average players like they were great. Remember Ernie Sims as a "shark in the water" during training camp? How did that work out?

However, the main problem for the Eagles defense in 2010 was a lack of talent. If they don't get that reconciled, you can resurrect Jim Johnson and this defense isn't going to be good enough.

Wait...WB36 referring to himself in a sort-of third person?...Posting something relatively sane about the Eagles? WTF?

AR even said it about being tough to fill JJ's shoes as a reason for his firing.
That struck me as a funny reason for firing. Just like how a couple days earlier AR stated his job was safe for the same reason.....
Oh and lol at Jim Mora and Vick being reunited. I think that's great.
If I remember they always got along well. Also their record together regressed each year.

The decline of the Eagles' defense started with Bunkley. Over-rated, over-hyped and plain ordinary.

missive12_bunkley.jpg

I believe several of us pointed that out at the time he was drafted.

The decline of the Eagles' defense started with Bunkley.

Wrong. It started when, in a DE-poor draft, they reached heavily by trading picks to move up and get McDougle. Couple that with the loss of the only good DL AR & company have drafted in the first round (Simon) AND the inability to be able to draft effective linebackers.

Actually, you could trace the decline back even further if you wanted to, as there has been a steady degradation of talent on the defensive side of the ball since about 2004. Graham & Allen are potential bright spots that could go a long way to changing the decline, but we'll have to see. Even though I'm glad they got rid of McDermott (and especially Segrest), they can't be the only ones blamed for the defense's demise. AR/Roseman had an awful plan going into the season wrt RCB, LB (all 3 positions) and FS. I could see throwing Allen in there if they had a solid RCB and LBs, but expecting a rookie to excel in a situation where there was weakness all around him is a piss poor plan.

Part of me wonders, with the Mora-for-DC rumors if they're bringing on a DC that could eventually replace AR. I also wonder how much AR had to do with the decision to cut Ginger free, as he's never done that in the past. Maybe, rightfully so after the past two playoff performances, he's on the hot seat?

Part of me wonders, with the Mora-for-DC rumors if they're bringing on a DC that could eventually replace AR. I also wonder how much AR had to do with the decision to cut Ginger free, as he's never done that in the past. Maybe, rightfully so after the past two playoff performances, he's on the hot seat?
Looks like there won't be a Mora Vick reunion after all. I think it was AR's decision to get rid of McDermott. Like his naming of the starting QB's this year, he sure went back on statements and promises.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=199009

According to the Denver Post, former Falcons and Seahawks coach Jim Mora will likely take over as the Broncos' new defensive coordinator.

Mora was in town to interview Monday, and the meeting apparently went well. Mora turned around an abysmal 49ers defense under Steve Mariucci from 1999-2003 before head coaching stints in Atlanta and Seattle. Like head coach John Fox, Mora's background is in the 4-3 scheme, so the Broncos are in for yet another seismic shift on defense. Should Mora land in Denver, Dick Jauron would seem to be the favorite in Philadelphia. Jan. 17 - 10:11 pm et

Source: Denver Post

Archived