Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MST3K Thread

thebluefood

On November 24th, 1988, a small twin-cities TV station called KTMA first aired a crudely made program that was the brain child of obscure, Minnesota prop comedian Joel Hodgson. The show's name was Mystery Science Theater 3000 and after 11 seasons (198 episodes), it's obtained a large, fiercely loyal fan base, similar in numbers to other cult favorites like Star Trek.

Though I was only in grade school when the SciFi Chanel put it to rest once and for all, I still have fond memories of gathering around the TV set with my sister and father to watch this strange little show about a man and two robots making fun of really awful movies. It wasn't until years later, though, that I came to truly appreciate it. This was, in my opinion, one of the greatest television shows ever; especially from the cable TV era. It was the perfect blend of smart and goofy humor, which made it (and still makes it) a pillar of the "nerd culture", which has blossomed throughout the digital age.

I know some of you on the board are fellow MST3K fans and have fond memories of the show. It could've lasted forever, and it was often mistreated by the networks on which it was aired.

MST3K has gotten a TON of laughs out of me, often times it has had me in tears from laughing so hard. It could still be going today especially with all the crappy horror films that are released.

see: rifftrax. You buy riff trax which are audio files and play them along side the movie. We watched Transformers with riff tracks done by the MST3K crew and it was fun stuff.

http://www.rifftrax.com/

see: rifftrax. You buy riff trax which are audio files and play them along side the movie. We watched Transformers with riff tracks done by the MST3K crew and it was fun stuff.

http://www.rifftrax.com/

Pokerpaker, you gotta download "Santa Claus and the Ice Cream Bunny." I don't think I've laughed harder at anything MST3K/rifftrax related in my life.

Brilliant show. Though they usually made fun of cheesy sci-fi movies, one of the funniest ones was when they did a detective movie starring Joe Don Baker. I can't remember the name of it I'll have to look it up.

Edit: "Mitchell" :ols:

BOCqlKNW9rU

In high school I'd get together with a buddy, get some pizza and watch MST3K every week. Never missed it. The idea of recording it to watch later, etc., was a non-starter. It was an event to be savored in its designated time slot. The Turkey Day MST3K marathons were epic.

I really miss this show. There are tons of episodes I never saw, as I went away to college and didn't have cable for years. I remember feeling so let down when Comedy Central canceled it, but then SciFi picked it up and all was right again for a while.

Of course, now SyFy (sigh) specializes mostly in movies which will one day serve as prime choice grade-A fodder for a future incarnation of MST3K. So bad, they're good.

I was hoping someone would give this it's own thread.

I Loved the show. I'll have to check out those riff trax.

Here's some favorite clips.

bdVXtPFqZlg

SFEyj3dZnTc

A song about Kenny's turtle from Gamera

BHoGF3hfVXM

A couple of hilarious shorts

Cn00ynJaOrk

ngBNklagsHQ

LTm03vKm8Uk

Sampo and failure fun.

me and my friends used to jokingly debate if the gold robot was facing forward or backward. the way the net on his head looks in the shadows of the theater makes either one look possible, lol

---------- Post added January-16th-2011 at 04:00 AM ----------

I loved this show when it was on tv. One of my favorites was when they're ripping on this black&white circa '50s film about these kids who go to a farm

found it

and I got to self-quote! lol

I thought Joel was the right guy to start the show up for the first few seasons, and really he never should have had to leave. He was a great "teacher" to the bots and it's a shame that personal conflict with Jim Mallon led him to depart.

But after he left, I actually found Mike's host style to be a bit more enjoyable and energetic than sleepy Joel's. Mike was the better "caretaker" for the bots, who at that point had completely come into their own anyway. Mike made the show a bit more upbeat. So really, they were both just right for their times.

I doubt Joel would have stayed for the full run anyway, even if he and Mallon got along perfectly. At up to 24 episodes per season times 2 weeks to produce each episode, IMO Joel's career history suggests he would have needed something new by 1995 anyway.

Okay, there's the controversial question for you MST3000 fans...

Joel, or Mike?

I thought Joel was the heart and soul of the show. But I've heard others say they thought Mike was better.

I liked them both.

I have more of a nostalgic fondness for the times when Joel was there.

Mike was pretty good too and had some hilarious episodes.

It's hard to remember. Maybe Joel was more consistently funny from what I recall, but Mike held his own when it was his turn to take over.

Archived