Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can you be a murderer and not be mentally ill?

Burgold

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

So, Dj posted something the girlfriend of the Arizona shooter said (I don't like typing his name because too many of these guys feed off fame and I don't want to give them that benefit)

Figueroa says the last time she saw Loughner was three or four months ago. She says she does not think he is mentally ill.

"I think he's faking everything. I think the outburst that he had in class -- I think he's planned everything. I think that he has been planning this for some time," said Figueroa. http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...rld&id=7895767

and it struck me that while this could very well be true... I don't think it's possible. I don't think you can be a murderer, you can't coldly pre-plan and execute a human being without being mentally ill.

Now, I think you can do it without being criminally insane and I think you can kill a human being without being mentally ill (although I'm not completely sure if that's true or if the act of killing would afterwards cause short or long term difficulties), but I don't think it's possible to murder without something being off... without having some kind of short circuit in the way you process logic or emotion.

What do you think?

Dunno. What if you kill grandma so that you will inherit 100 million dollars?

You are definitely evil, but your actions are also entirely rational. :whoknows:

Seems mad to me, but then again my Grandmother didn't have a 100 million dollars.

Or

Valuing cash that much over the human life of someone related to you should be a sign of mental illness.

Are all soldiers mentally ill?

I tried to separate murder from killing because of this very question. I think when a policeman or a soldier shoots in defense or because of duty it is different than murder. Maybe in Heaven it wouldn't be... I don't know, but I think at least in the minds of society and the police officer or the soldier they are different. In a grayer way of answering your question... the number of soldiers and marines who come back from theater impacted by PTSD or other psychological is fairly high.

All sane individuals have one real goal and that is to optimize what they perceive as their personal value position. What is of value is the subjective opinions of each individual. If the given individual believes his own value position can best be maximized by committing murder, to not murder would be insane.

All sane individuals have one real goal and that is to optimize what they perceive as their personal value position. What is of value is the subjective opinions of each individual. If the given individual believes his own value position can best be maximized by committing murder, to not murder would be insane.

I would disagree. I think many things are prized more than personal value. For example, how many women sacrifice years of their personal joy and pleasure to raise a child and forgo the things they want for themselves. How many men put themselves at risk for others on a daily basis.

See ya later, Granny! :ols:

While I agree with this more than the position that you can't commit murder without being mentally ill, I'll play a little devil's advocate here and preempt a likely point of rebuttal. Your typical murderer is not someone who possesses the kind of knowledge, skill, and/or power to have a good chance of getting away with murder and the consequences of his or her actions are almost certain to include a lowering of one's own value position by any sort of normative standard. Opting to disregard that standard would very probably be considered a sign of mental illness.

I would disagree. I think many things are prized more than personal value. For example, how many women sacrifice years of their personal joy and pleasure to raise a child and forgo the things they want for themselves. How many men put themselves at risk for others on a daily basis.

Self-sacrifice is often a reward in and of itself.

I tried to separate murder from killing because of this very question. I think when a policeman or a soldier shoots in defense or because of duty it is different than murder. Maybe in Heaven it wouldn't be... I don't know, but I think at least in the minds of society and the police officer or the soldier they are different. In a grayer way of answering your question... the number of soldiers and marines who come back from theater impacted by PTSD or other psychological is fairly high.
Soldiers do not only kill in self-defense. Defense of your country, defense of your comrades in arms, but not always self-defense. In war, killing can be more coldly planned and executed than in any civilian murder case.

By law, it is not murder, because we have made a special exception. But psychologically, is there an exception?

And if there is a different psychological condition for soldiers in war, then couldn't someone reach that same state of mind outside of war? If a completely sane person can kill for their country, then couldn't someone kill for their family? For their beliefs? For profit?

Soldiers do not only kill in self-defense. Defense of your country, defense of your comrades in arms, but not always self-defense. In war, killing can be more coldly planned and executed than in any civilian murder case.

Agreed and can be done on a far greater scale as well.

By law, it is not murder, because we have made a special exception. But psychologically, is there an exception?

I would say based on what I have gleaned from the VA, that there is without doubt a psychological cost to killing in war. I can't imagine anyone who has served or killed saying it's not a life changing event. Then again, I'm a cake eating civilian.

And if there is a different psychological condition for soldiers in war, then couldn't someone reach that same state of mind outside of war? If a completely sane person can kill for their country, then couldn't someone kill for their family? For their beliefs? For profit?

I think if you can do that mental calculus that there is something wrong. That kind of abstraction without conscience or consideration is in itself a sign of mental illness.

I think if you can do that mental calculus that there is something wrong. That kind of abstraction without conscience or consideration is in itself a sign of mental illness.
So when we train soldiers to kill for their country, without giving it a second thought, we are training them to have a mental illness?

Conscience and consideration are very much a part of the equation in any planned murder. The murderer is just plugging in slightly different values for all of the variables than would a non-murderer.

Archived