Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would a Superbowl clean Snyder's slate?

skinfan2k

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

for me it would.

one of my biggest fears is the redskins never winning again during my lifetime.

i was born in 1984, and while i vividly remember my father and grandfather literally jumping for joy over the last redskins super bowl win, i cannot claim it as one that i cared about. i was happy because my dad was happy, but it meant little to me apart from that.

the rest, though, was history. i gradually grew as a skins fan until about 1996 or so when i finally knew all the players and refused to miss a single play.

if the redskins win a super bowl from this second onward during my lifetime, that is what matters. that is why you are a fan. i could give a **** about snyder or what he thinks or HOW he thinks - i just want him to avoid getting in the way of one transcendent playoff run that validates everything all of us dream of. sue me if that's too cheesy, but it's certainly true.

one of my best friends in the world has lived in New Orleans all his life. when the Saints won last year, he talked about how one of his lifelong dreams was accomplished. i was at a wedding with him this past Saturday night. we watched the Saints as they were beaten, and while he was really upset by the loss, he still was wearing his Saints Super Bowl Champion cuff links, and he still talked about how much last year meant to him.

Clean slate? Around here that would be the catalyst to rewrite the history on Dan Snyder. We have a coach that has final say on on personnel decision, a horrible season, and badly traded draft picks... and everyone on this board swears up and down the organization is entirely different than it's ever been. It only takes the perception of something good for skins fans to raid Redskin Stores around here and swear they see a light at the end of the tunnel. If we actually won a superbowl there would be songs written about the great Daniel Snyder.

At this point Dan Snyder is Jerry Jones minus the Herschel Walker trade. So hindsight is really 20/20. Jerry Jones get a pass cause he has 3 trophies on his resume, even though 99% of the personnel moves he makes are horrendous, and he ran off the one coach who got the team three championships, and another coach who might have had them on their way.

So if and when the 'Skins win a championship under Snyder, it will be the same story. The good with the bad.

Even if miraculously we won a Super Bowl, no, I don't think it would erase the embarrassment of a Super Bowl. I think it would be close, and let pressure off being a "good" owner off for a while, but no, winning a Super Bowl would not automatically excuse Auburn from not being a National Championship contender.

I don´t blame Dan for wanting to win and do everything for that. He knows he made mistakes but he learned from it (I hope).

He got the team as a young succesful bussinessman and Redskins fan with not football experience. So you gonna mistakes because you feel on top of the world and your ego is bigger than the Burj Khalifa.

You try to do it yourself because why would you buy a NFL team if you don´t want to be involved in the disicions yourself. Nobody here is going to tell me that he would buy the team and then give up all (most) of the controle to somebody else. I think he will grow and learn. Someday the Redskins dynastie will come back to full glory. Somethimes it only takes one good coach and two good drafts to be back on top, we just have to be patient and hopeful. Have faith in the Washington Redskins.

You can say it has something special if we would be without a superbowl for the next 50 years so I can be 70 when we win it. I gess that would be a sweeeeet victory then but I rather win won today then tomorrow.

Hail.

I wish there was a "Man on Mars" option, because that is more likely than a SB. It would clean the slate moving forward IMO, but certainly would not erase the faults of the past.

Stat: Wash, Det, SF, and Dallas are the teams that have NOT been to a NFC Championship game during the Snyder era. So he has not been even close to a SB.

Anyone who'd take worthless conference titles over a championship is crazy or deluding themselves. In 2020, our Superbowls will still be a part of history. Nobody cares about the Eagles 4 straight NFC Championship games.

Nobody cares?

You clearly don't know Eagles fans. They're the greatest team of all-time in their eyes.

And again we see the same tired old "Oh look! Something shiny!" attitude. Just a SB win by itself might mollify some of the Maddenites but that doesn't in any way address the years of dysfunction or speak to any genuine change. Long term competence, a roster built intelligently, picks used for starters instead of almosts or coulda-beens, back-to-back-to-back years of winning well and decisively would mean more to me than a single fluke year bracketed by more "oh hell, not again!".

Not winning a SB is not an indictment of a team, there are 31 others vying for it as well, and when you run up against a machine like the 70's Steelers or the current Pats, well sometimes just doing things right isn't enough, but that doesn't invalidate all the other teams going against them. Show me that the dark years of WormTongue are well and truly over and that this franchise can and will be managed effectively and I'll take what comes.

In my own mind a Superbowl would mean that the earlier years were just his maturation process and the title means he finally gets how to win in this league. Until that happens Snyder is still on the learning path to me looking up at the experts who simply know and perform better in this arena then he possibly can. I will forgive the man when he brings the 4th title to town and think all Skins fans would too. We want to like Snyder but with the retarded way he's run this team we can't hold out hope for much these days.

Simply question here.

If (I was ready to say When hehe!) Dan Snyder and company win a super bowl, does everything in the past get erased from your mind? Do the number of firing and hirings not matter to you at anymore? the number of free agent busts? the lousy stadium of Fedex?

Does 1 superbowl win relieve everything he has done in the past? Does it matter how he wins the big game or what he does after? Thoughts?

Well you have to take into consideration that it takes an owner with football knowledge to get to the super bowl. Snyder does not have very good football knowledge. Most of the media and fans contemplate that he has an obsession with fantasy football, which is why Redskins have always ended up signing these old name players. Let's also add that he has never given a head coach enough time to really build a team. Part of that reason why coaches failed under Snyder was Vinny Cerratto. Vinny Cerratto drafted QB's and WR's without O-linemen. That was the first sign that Redskins were going to decline under Dan Snyder. Sense Trent Williams, we hadn't drafted an O-Linemen in 10 years. That's pretty bad. As a result of this, many QB's we had declined under the Washington Redskins. QB's include Patrick Ramsy, Mark Brunell, Jason Campbell and Donovan McNabb. Brunell had an O-line in Jacksonville and McNabb had an O-line is Philly. That's the first reason why they did so well.

yes because if we win a superbowl you can chalk it upto growing pains as an onwer

I suppose this would be my answer, too. Obviously, I don't think any of us can forget the embarrassment the entire franchise (as well as its fans) have endured; but if we win a Super Bowl (along with becoming a consistent, legitimate contender), then all is forgiven in my book.

"cleaning the slate" is the wrong analogy. You can't erase the past. "tipping the scales" in favor of a positive view of him is more accurate. All the crap he's done over the years has created a big pile on the negative side. A shiny Lombardi would be a heavy weight added to the positive side.

yes because if we win a superbowl you can chalk it upto growing pains as an onwer

Over a decade of growing pains???????? Shouldnt be that long.

---------- Post added January-14th-2011 at 02:02 PM ----------

"cleaning the slate" is the wrong analogy. You can't erase the past. "tipping the scales" in favor of a positive view of him is more accurate. All the crap he's done over the years has created a big pile on the negative side. A shiny Lombardi would be a heavy weight added to the positive side.

Not when fandom is so wishy-washy and fickle. Look at Elway, does his 2 late championships redeem him? NO, he was great many years before that and was a 1st ballot regardless. If Dan won one out on nowhere, it would be chalked up as LUCK.

But do you really think the win would be from his work or more from Bruce Allen and his football knowledge. Our best bet for winning a super bowl was keeping Joe Gibbs as head coach. He was slowly rebuilding the team. One thing that slowed down his progression was Vinny. Vinny refused to draft O-Linemen. The major key behind Gibbs 3 super bowl wins were an amazing O-line. If Gibbs were still our coach and Bruce Allen was our GM, Gibbs would have had more success with his return to the Redskins. We may not have Donovan McNabb and Haynesworth, but Campbell would have kept learning under Gibb's play book. Greg Williams would have continued to build the defense and Joe Bugel would still be coaching our O-line.

Shannahan's coaching on this team is questionable. Can Shannahan be a good coach; yes. Can he make good decisions; no. How do you trade two draft picks for McNabb and then bench him? Let's also add that he wants McNabb to stay on the team but as a back up. After the 2011 season starts, if McNabb is still a Redskins, he gets 10 million dollars. Now 10 million dollars is a lot to be a back up QB and never take a snap. If you ask me, that's wasting the owners money. Rex Grossman will not be getting 10 million dollars to start as a Redskin in 2011 season, so why is he starting?

These are things that leave me puzzled about Mike Shannahan as a head coach in Washington. With the way he is running things, I could easily see us doing poorly in 2011. When I say poorly, I mean 4-12. Defense is a major weakness with the Redskins. I don't see them mastering this 3-4 defense by next season. We did much better in the 4-3 and that's what we should still be running. I think bad defense in the 3-4 may result in Shannahan's failure as a Redskins coach.

There is no clean slate. History has recorded them already. A Superbowl win shows improvement and growth. Winning successive number of Playoof games and going to NFC Chmapionship games are good and certainly better than not making the playoffs but nothing beats a Superbowl Win. Nothing. Someone mentioned they would pick 7 straight NFC Championship games over 1 Superbowl. I prefer the Superbowl win even if it was preceded by years of no playoff appearances. Sure it is not consistent but it is a Superbowl win. After the first Superbowl then I would want 4 more. I want to Beat Pittsburgh as the franchise with most championships. I want to have more Superbowl victories than San Francisco and Dallas who have 5 a piece.

There is no clean slate. History has recorded them already. A Superbowl win shows improvement and growth. Winning successive number of Playoof games and going to NFC Chmapionship games are good and certainly better than not making the playoffs but nothing beats a Superbowl Win. Nothing. Someone mentioned they would pick 7 straight NFC Championship games over 1 Superbowl. I prefer the Superbowl win even if it was preceded by years of no playoff appearances. Sure it is not consistent but it is a Superbowl win. After the first Superbowl then I would want 4 more. I want to Beat Pittsburgh as the franchise with most championships. I want to have more Superbowl victories than San Francisco and Dallas who have 5 a piece.

If you ask me, that's a bit much. In order to see the super bowl, you have to have play off and division potential. Currently Redskins have neither of those. Reason why we don't is because Dan Snyder thinks the way you do. He thinks that by bringing in big names, you can get instant results. Another key aspect that makes a team play off potential is the defense. Teams like Baltimore and Pittsburgh can make the play offs because their defense can score points for them. Both teams can run a solid 3-4 zone defense. Redskins just started their transition to the 3-4 zone defense. The reason why I don't see it working with the Redskins is because our so called line backers were married to their defensive line positions. So it's kind of hard to go from seasonal turnovers highs to play ground tally highs. Example of this starts with Brian Orakpo. Orakpo posted something like 9 sacks in the 2009 season. Even though the team went 4-12, he had 9 sacks for his first season. Now he has no where close to that in this 3-4 zone defense.

Defense and special teams seem to win play off games and superbowls. Skins have to master that in order to think about a super bowl appearance. The Redskins had that chance when Joe Gibbs left. Greg Williams should have been named head coach, but it went to a Seattle Seahawks QB coach named Jim Zorn. In result of this, we posted 8-8 the first season and then 4-12 in 2009, just for Greg Williams to take the Saints to a super bowl victory.

And just for the fun of it, I will say this. How did the Colts lose that Superbowl? I believe Peyton Manning threw an interception to the Saints defense, which was being coaches by former Redskins defensive coordinator, GREG WILLIAMS.

If you ask me, that's a bit much. In order to see the super bowl, you have to have play off and division potential. Currently Redskins have neither of those. Reason why we don't is because Dan Snyder thinks the way you do. He thinks that by bringing in big names, you can get instant results. Another key aspect that makes a team play off potential is the defense. Teams like Baltimore and Pittsburgh can make the play offs because their defense can score points for them. Both teams can run a solid 3-4 zone defense. Redskins just started their transition to the 3-4 zone defense. The reason why I don't see it working with the Redskins is because our so called line backers were married to their defensive line positions. So it's kind of hard to go from seasonal turnovers highs to play ground tally highs. Example of this starts with Brian Orakpo. Orakpo posted something like 9 sacks in the 2009 season. Even though the team went 4-12, he had 9 sacks for his first season. Now he has no where close to that in this 3-4 zone defense.

Defense and special teams seem to win play off games and superbowls. Skins have to master that in order to think about a super bowl appearance. The Redskins had that chance when Joe Gibbs left. Greg Williams should have been named head coach, but it went to a Seattle Seahawks QB coach named Jim Zorn. In result of this, we posted 8-8 the first season and then 4-12 in 2009, just for Greg Williams to take the Saints to a super bowl victory.

And just for the fun of it, I will say this. How did the Colts lose that Superbowl? I believe Peyton Manning threw an interception to the Saints defense, which was being coaches by former Redskins defensive coordinator, GREG WILLIAMS.

I know that in order to be a great team you need to have solid offense,defense and special teams. I never went into detail about wha the team need done specifically. I never said bring in big names or not bring in big names. This is not what the thread is about.

The OP stated:

"Simply question here.

If (I was ready to say When hehe!) Dan Snyder and company win a super bowl, does everything in the past get erased from your mind? Do the number of firing and hirings not matter to you at anymore? the number of free agent busts? the lousy stadium of Fedex?

Does 1 superbowl win relieve everything he has done in the past? Does it matter how he wins the big game or what he does after? Thoughts?"

I stated that I prefer at least 1 superbowl victory. But of course I will take more. I also said that I prefer having 1 Superbowl victory to 7 straight NFC Title games. Going to the title games is better than not making the playoffs, but winning the Superbowl is the ultimate goal. No one can take that away from you. If the Saints never ever win another superbowl, they at least have won 1 time.

A Superbowl victory is what all teams aspire to do each and every year. Before that happens, you need to get to the playoffs first then go from there. The Philadelphia Eagles were a model in consistency in the 2000's with 5 straight NFC Championship appearances but have nothing to show for it whereas New England has 3 Superbowl wins and have gone to 4 like the Redskins has. Buffallo and Minnesotta have 4 Superbowl appearances and the Bills went 4 straight times but have nothing to show for it. So, yes. I want that 1 superbowl win to make it 4 for the franchise. At least 1, then strive for more.

Actually it's questionable to say that you really need an amazing offense to get to the superbowl. When Baltimore won it, they actually had a so-so offense. I believe they were on their 3rd string man, Trent Dilfur. No to mention, most of that season they kicked field goals. When they got to the super bowl, they showed their skill in special teams and defense. Giant's also had a pretty good defense that season. Until this day, Baltimore has had a questionable offense, but their defense wins games for them. An example of this was their recent play off game against Kanas City. Their defense continued to crush Cassel even when it was clear that Kansas was not going to bounce back. So my theory on being an over-heavy defensive team is true.

Redskins best opportunity for success was with Greg Williams. Gibbs had warmed the seat up for him and Snyder gave it to somebody else. Snyder has a over-high obsession with offense and very little concern for defense. When he was a kid he probably got so turned on seeing more high flying passes, than interceptions by Darrell Green. If you want to know what I think, I believe Redskins would do much better as a defensive team. We have more prime weapons on defense, than offense. Offense starts with having a prime O-line. Defense can be built starting from the secondary or defensive line. Under the 4-3, Haynesworth, Andrew Carter and Brian Orakpo are monsters. You take them out of the 4-3, you pretty much let the other team right threw your front door.

Archived