Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New USFL

Highway66

The following is from newusfl.com

Dear United States Football League fans,

We want to take a moment and update you all on where we are now. First let me start by saying welcome to:

Ron Meyer--Director of the Western Division

Mark Collins--Director of the Eastern Division

Marcus Dupree--Director of the Southern Division

Along with our USFL Rules Committee:

Bob Golic--Director

Ron Meyer

John Jenkins

Ron James

Mark Collins

Bobby Hebert

Michael Dwyer

Ron Calcagni

I know you all want more info! I will go ahead and tell you Michigan and Mississippi will have U.S.F.L. teams. The two owners do not want the names of the teams to come out yet. The owners names will come out at the end of January 2011.

Now you know two, ten to go. It's all coming out soon, Team names, Logos, GM's, Head Coaches, Coaching staffs and Stadiums.

Thank you all for being part of this with us.

Michael Dwyer

Founder and Chairman

The New United States Football League

Do you gouys think this league is banking on an NFL lockout?

what are nthe chances of this league actually starting?

So this is different than the UFL, which already has 10-12 teams?

There definitely is not room for two "pro" leagues that aren't the NFL, even in a lockout year.

This is different from the UFL, which only has 6 teams counting the new Virginia "Hampton Roads" team that starts play this August.

I think there is plenty of room for 2 "pro" leagues, because there are plenty of areas that don't have an NFL or college team, and some cities that don't have both and would welcome football. Now the quality of football isn't going to be anywhere near NFL quality, but it's still football and people will still check it out in most places.

Yes this is different from the ufl.. This league is actually trying to relate to the old USFL of the early to mid 80's.. That USFL was drafting superstars from College Steve YOuNG Reggie WHITE Jim KELLY etc etc.. The league really had the NFL's attention!. tHIS nEW USFL IS SAID TO BE BRINGING BACK TEAMS AND UNIFORMS FROM ITS DEFUNCT PREDECESSOR

The problem with the old USFL is that they tried to pay too much for star players. If they had have kept their salaries to a minimum, established their league first, they might still be around. They were cashing checks their butt couldn't cover. It was actually pretty good football to watch. They just couldn't get big enough crowds and then they tried to challenge the NFL too quickly.

If there's a lockout and these guys begin play this year, this thing could have a shot.

If it's spring ball it's got a shot anyways. I doubt it would surpass the NFL in popularity, but there's always room in my heart for a little spring football.

It will certainly be interesting. I was pretty young so I don't remember the original USFL too well. Wasn't part of the issues with that league the fact that they had trouble getting TV contracts due to the NFL? If so, now with the abundance of cable channels, there may be some money out there. Certainly not anything near what the NFL gets for TV rights, but I'm sure some cable network may put up a decent amount of cash for the rights.

If the NFL institutes a rookie cap it could have the side affect of making an alternate league competitive when it comes to college players coming out. Right now there is no way an alternate league could compete for top college players. A rookie cap could make that interesting.

It will certainly be interesting. I was pretty young so I don't remember the original USFL too well. Wasn't part of the issues with that league the fact that they had trouble getting TV contracts due to the NFL? If so, now with the abundance of cable channels, there may be some money out there. Certainly not anything near what the NFL gets for TV rights, but I'm sure some cable network may put up a decent amount of cash for the rights.

If the NFL institutes a rookie cap it could have the side affect of making an alternate league competitive when it comes to college players coming out. Right now there is no way an alternate league could compete for top college players. A rookie cap could make that interesting.

Yes... that is an interesting perspective

I guess Donald Trump killed the old league by talking the league into stopping the spring games and trying to move the league to the fall. I forgot all about that. It was doing fine in the spring and that's why the fans loved it in the first place, it gave us year round football but they wanted to challenge the NFL in the fall, like the AFL did, in their dream to not have their own league, what they wanted was for the NFL to bring their teams into the NFL.

If that had happened and worked out their teams worth several million would immediately have been worth hundreds of Millions or whatever the rate was at the time.

http://30for30.espn.com/film/small-potatoes-who-killed-the-usfl.html

Not in this life time it won't be I believe the league went bankrupt all though I do believe they still

have Arena 2..

Arena football already is back. The 2009 season was suspended, but the 2010 season was played with a weekly game airing on the NFL Network. There could be as many as seven new teams for the 2011 season.

Arena Football only sat out one year and now everything is almost back to where it was with most of the old teams back in action. The UFL may only have five teams with a 6th on the way but it has a huge advantage over all the other startups in that it has actually played two full seasons of football. Dwyer is a tool who despite his supposed position as a "commissioner" will actually post on obscure forums and engage in childish arguments with fans.

When the UFL first got announced it had two competitors in the AAFL and UNGL both of which gave up just weeks before their seasons were supposed to kick off. I think one of those actually had tryouts for a large fee just before that too. There's also a new American Football League that some guy runs out of his mom's basement and something called the SFL that just joined the fray.

Arena Football only sat out one year and now everything is almost back to where it was with most of the old teams back in action. The UFL may only have five teams with a 6th on the way but it has a huge advantage over all the other startups in that it has actually played two full seasons of football. Dwyer is a tool who despite his supposed position as a "commissioner" will actually post on obscure forums and engage in childish arguments with fans.

Interesting, and very unprofessional. Got a link I can check out?

Interesting, and very unprofessional. Got a link I can check out?

SFL:

http://starsfootballleague.com/

I might have been thinking about the American League guy, this is him making his last few posts on the UFL forums under the name "Central Desk".:

http://www.uflaccess.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10174&page=2

He gave up because no one there would take him seriously.

Some research on Dwyer:

http://www.uflaccess.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10282

Dwyer has been around claiming to run the new USFL since at least 2008. He mostly announces things on facebook that never actually happen. He unfortunately gets more attention than most because he uses a recognised brand name. I will try and get some of his old press releases and more dirt soon but it's turning out to be a longer research project than I expected proving what I've seen over the years as an avid follower of alternative leagues.

And before anyone asks, I'm actually very pissed off at the UFL because I have a lot of Florida Tuskers merchandise and just three months before they moved the team they trotted out Joe Theismann as an owner and told us they were committed to making the market work. So, while I still want the league to do well, I am by no means one of their apologists.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived