Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's the most pain you've ever been in?

Skins_Fan82

when I was 21 I shattered my left femur in a car accident, they had to replace my femur with a metal rod, well when that happens you lose all muscle power and range of motion. So in physical therapy since i lost all range of motion they had to manually bend my leg ...i knew it was going to hurt when my pt said heres a pillow to scream in

Shingles was pretty bad for me. I actually thought it was poison ivy as i had been raking and been near some. After day 10 it was traveling along my arm and back and had I shooting pains I finally went to the doc. Lanced it? Sent it off and found out I had Chickenpox evil cousin. Left some nice scars on me :( I still get shooting pains in my arm and hand from it.

That was gonna be my answer...I also had headaches so bad I cried.

Also swimmer's ear is TERRIBLE!

I could go on and on and take a poll.

When I was eleven I fell twenty some feet to the concrete from a BaseBall backstop trying to recover stuck balls, knocked out I awoke to find my left arm had a compound fracture and the bone was protruding through. I walked home and had to have thirty stitches and a couple of re-breaks to get it set right. (yeah with a rubber mallet and no warning). That's three right there. Trust me when I tell you the re-breaks hurt as much if not more, I kept thinking as a kid, do these people know what the hell they are doing? They actually would have done it again had my Mother not realized that the arm was never going to be perfectly set, it was simply broken in too many places. Orthopedics in the 70's I guess were still figuring it all out. --You know the top of the fence that should be at the bottom with wire twisted into a Y, that is what ripped into my arm, still have a very big scare that looks like an arrow.

A friend backed over me with my own truck. ICU for five days, three or four broken ribs, not fractured but broken, collasped lung, bruised kidney, stood up the first day to pee after being offered the bed pan. That took intestinal fortitude and determination I did not know I possessed. The nurses were amazed. Head injury with that accident as well, had swelling but no damage, still had to be checked out for awhile afterwards. Cool scare on my head reminds me to be more careful helping friends in need. It's a ***** to shave my head because of it.

None of that compares to the story I can't tell you, it is too personal and involves a personal loss and nothing physical to me. But I would take more doses of the above over and over again to not re-live that event. Actually I can use that emotional pain to block out physical pain, that is how deep that hurt.

And I have others, too many others. Like the mitre saw accident when I tried to 45 my hand with some crown. Drove myself home and cleaned it out, stopped the bleeding covered it with some gauze and duct tape and drove back to work. The look on the other guys working and the homeowner was worth the pain. Another 1/4" or so and I am sure I would have needed surgery or had loss use of fingers or something.

Or the kidney stones, or the plantar facitis(sic), or the neck injury from a different car accident.

My sister in-law said to me after the truck incident, hey aren't you about out of lives? Nah. I still got one worth living. Thanks God. I mean really, I am blessed to be here.

Physically the ribs and the kidney stones are close, you can't get away from either one of those. I have a home remedy now for kidney stones, drink vinegar, apple cider taste better and I don't know why but it has worked twice for me. It really is hard to swallow a cup of white vinegar but when you have a stone I think you would do anything. BTW, they won't laser them or whatever until you basically have spent three days in hell and can't pass it. I also usually get wasted as possible because it is so painful. Now I drink about a tablespoon of vinegar a week. I don't know if Florida water has more calcium but I get then too often now.

As for me - I had a impacted wisdom tooth come in at almost a 90 degree angle. That takes the cake for me.

That's the same thing that happened to me. Mine grew in at a weird angle to where they were pushing on my regular tooth, and they were impacted. They gave me a copy of the X ray, and it looked like they wouldn't be able to get the tooth out without damaging the other one. I also didn't take much medication, and for the first couple days, wasn't drinking enough fluids, and got a dry socket. Searing, nonstop pain, enough to where it hurt to even walk at times.

Full body cramp (due to dehydration) gets honorable mention. Thighs, calves, abdomen, arms, everything. It only lasted for about 10 minutes, but it was agonizing, and I was sore for a few days afterwards.

Emotional pain is incredibly underrated.

Absolutely, because it damages your psyche and can affect your mood. I'm not gonna sit here and moan, but I've had several things happen that make me feel incredibly sad (nothing like being homeless without my kid though). Just have to remain positive. Life does not end! Persistence is an admirable quality.

Absolutely, because it damages your psyche and can affect your mood. I'm not gonna sit here and moan, but I've had several things happen that make me feel incredibly sad (nothing like being homeless without my kid though). Just have to remain positive. Life does not end! Persistence is an admirable quality.

Sadly life does end, and that is why you need a positive attitude, and persistence is a quality that truly never be over-rated. I have the persistence but not always the best attitude.

Emotional pain is incredibly underrated.
If we are going to include emotional pain, without a doubt the worst was burying my son. Born in Nov 2003 with a Tetralogy of Fallot with absent pulmonary valve syndrome. Spent his entire life in Fairfax INOVA NICU/PICU. Had open heart surgery on day 6 of his life, took like 8 hours. Longest 8 hours of my life. Had a tracheotomy at 6 weeks. Had ups and downs for a few months. Had multiple cathetarizations to remove clots in the IVC. Developed sepsis multiple times, causing massive swelling of entire body. Died in moms arms at 5 months and 11 days in Apr 2004 when internal organs (kidneys and liver) began to fail, due to PEEP pressure needed to keep bronchi open causing massive clotting in IVC. Buried him a week later in a family cemetery in WV that overlooks a horse farm. No danger of ever developing into anything other than country homes on the side of mountains. Not a day goes by that I don't wish that I had 5 more minutes to look into his eyes and tell him that his daddy loves him and thank him for teaching me what was truly important in life and making me a man. Had a daughter in Aug, and watching her develop has been both a blessing and a curse. We get to watch her do things that he never did. That both excites us and break our heart at the same time. Spend a lot of time wondering what if.....

Both my most painful events happen while playing lacrosse:

1. Broke my hand freshman year in High school. It was the last practice (5 min to go), and I was picking up the ball to start up another drill and this assclown decided to hit my hand as hard as he could with a stick, hurt like hell for weeks. I had to take all my final exams left handed and writing, Spanish exam took me 5 hours (should have been 1.5 hours).

2. Broke my neck (c7 vertabrae), did not hurt when it happened, woke up in the ambulance, Hurt like hell for the weeks after when I was off Morphine and only on Percocet. It felt like someone was sticking a GIANT needle in the back of my neck constantly, that pricking sensation. Couldn't move the left side of my body until my nerve recovered from the bruise, pretty damn lucky.

Also, CALF cramps in the middle of the night, been getting those a lot lately, they wake you up with EXcurciating pain....

And some of "us" ES members actually are, or were, soldiers in Iraq, so why would they be exempt from participating in the thread ?

I didn't say they were exempt, but if you have a "pain" story that is a result from fighting over there, so be it. Anyone who has suffered an injury in war is terrible. If someone wants to share their pain story and have fought in a war, I'm all for hearing it.

I just didn't want the thread to become a "tribute" to our current troops thread, which is what your original post sounded like. My apoligies if I misread it, but it sounded like nothing can compare to our troops over there.

I would think that our American veterans from the Iraqi war, win this thread.

God bless our soldiers, but what does that have to do with this thread?

---------- Post added January-14th-2011 at 11:41 AM ----------

If we are going to include emotional pain, without a doubt the worst was burying my son. Born in Nov 2003 with a Tetralogy of Fallot with absent pulmonary valve syndrome. Spent his entire life in Fairfax INOVA NICU/PICU. Had open heart surgery on day 6 of his life, took like 8 hours. Longest 8 hours of my life. Had a tracheotomy at 6 weeks. Had ups and downs for a few months. Had multiple cathetarizations to remove clots in the IVC. Developed sepsis multiple times, causing massive swelling of entire body. Died in moms arms at 5 months and 11 days in Apr 2004 when internal organs (kidneys and liver) began to fail, due to PEEP pressure needed to keep bronchi open causing massive clotting in IVC. Buried him a week later in a family cemetery in WV that overlooks a horse farm. No danger of ever developing into anything other than country homes on the side of mountains. Not a day goes by that I don't wish that I had 5 more minutes to look into his eyes and tell him that his daddy loves him and thank him for teaching me what was truly important in life and making me a man. Had a daughter in Aug, and watching her develop has been both a blessing and a curse. We get to watch her do things that he never did. That both excites us and break our heart at the same time. Spend a lot of time wondering what if.....

Oh my god. I want to give you a hug (a manly hug, of course).

Also, CALF cramps in the middle of the night, been getting those a lot lately, they wake you up with EXcurciating pain....

Hydrate. You probably drink alcohol too much. Also, Calcium and Milk Thistle Supplements will help with that.

A real tear-jerker. Man, this story is tugging at my heart. I'm at work reading this with my eyes welling up.

My heart goes out to you. Terrible story.

I've been thinking a lot about this sort of thing lately. I am blessed with a happy and healthy 2 1/2 year old. One of my good friends just had a baby born with hydrocephalus among other serious problems. The baby is having seizures and it's sounding awfully scary. Might not make it. Might have serious disabilities. Or might be fine...

Don't wonder what if. You'll only drive yourself crazy. Be thankful that you got 5 months and 11 days when it could have been 5 months and 6 days. Or just 6 days.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been pretty ****** up multiple times, from a football injury in highschool that left me paralyzed for two weeks and took a good year to rehab, to a bike accident involving a cliff and me landing on my head on asphalt, but I think the one that really brought me to my knees praying for death were the migraine headaches that came at least once a month from the time I was 16 to 19.

The pain was so bad I'd vomit and then had to fall asleep in a dark room with no sound or movement or they wouldn't go away.

There aren't words, my friend. Truly. I'm terribly sorry you had to go through that. And I pray each day is a little easier for you than the one before. You're a man's man though. I never would've suspected you'd endured this kind of devastation if you hadn't said so. I'm envious of your strength and courage. God bless.

Archived