Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sleeper pick - Clay Matthews little brother!

redskins804

If we somehow snag a third round pick, we should take a serious look at Clay Matthews' little brother Casey...

http://nflsoup.com/?p=6568

He is going to be a sleeper pick because he doesn't have the flashy numbers but neither did his brother. Watching the championship game, it looks like he has the same intangibles as his older brother.... Could be one of the key players this defense desperately needs

This thread was predictable as soon as he forced that fumble yesterday. He plays ILB and I think we have more pressing needs at OLB, NT, DE, and CB. At inside backer I'd actually like to see what Riley & Henson could do.

" He doesn’t often get caught out of position, and he uses his athleticism to make up for his lack of overall bulk. Matthews is also excellent in making plays in coverage. He covers his zone almost effortlessly, and has a knack for finding the ball. He’s an underrated pass rusher on the inside, and has the speed to maybe make the transition to the OLB position in a 3-4, although that may not utilize his skill-set to the maximum. However, his versatility is fantastic and will be coveted among teams in the 2011 NFL Draft."

If he dips to the 3rd round and we have a pick, I would snag him in a heart beat... Plus he comes from a family of PRO BOWLERS.

Yeah, I think all scouts who labeled Clay III as a late first rounder/early second rounder have now all jumped on the Matthew's family bandwagon. I think Clay has layed the groundwork for a bunch more Matthews' to get drafted in the NFL, just based on the name. I think Casey is the last of Clay Jr's sons, but Bruce has 1 son at Texas A&M, another in HS and another as a top ranked JrHS, to go along with Kevin who was picked up as a FA by the Titans this year.

Casey played like a champ last night and he will be rewarded for it, but I don't see the skins drafting him at #10, unless he is the BPA and all other targets are off the board by the time they pick, and even that I consider a long shot. I think he gets picked around the same spot as Clay, maybe a few spots ahead, but then again you never know how these things shake out until they happen. I think he is good enough to be picked 10th, but the Skins have too many other needs to take him at #10.

Yeah, I think all scouts who labeled Clay III as a late first rounder/early second rounder have now all jumped on the Matthew's family bandwagon. I think Clay has layed the groundwork for a bunch more Matthews' to get drafted in the NFL, just based on the name. I think Casey is the last of Clay Jr's sons, but Bruce has 1 son at Texas A&M, another in HS and another as a top ranked JrHS, to go along with Kevin who was picked up as a FA by the Titans this year.

Casey played like a champ last night and he will be rewarded for it, but I don't see the skins drafting him at #10, unless he is the BPA and all other targets are off the board by the time they pick, and even that I consider a long shot. I think he gets picked around the same spot as Clay, maybe a few spots ahead, but then again you never know how these things shake out until they happen. I think he is good enough to be picked 10th, but the Skins have too many other needs to take him at #10.

Picked 10th??? no way.... it would be a jump to take him in the 3rd, regardless of what he might be.

This thread was predictable as soon as he forced that fumble yesterday. He plays ILB and I think we have more pressing needs at OLB, NT, DE, and CB. At inside backer I'd actually like to see what Riley & Henson could do.

Well, if we let Rocky walk and can get him in the mid-rounds, it would be a good move IMO.

Yeah he wont be a 1st rounder.... His size and lack of statistical performance will hold him back. But the key to this guys are the intangibles. The dude is deceivingly fast and is versatile like his bro. In the end, he seems like another version of his older brother who faced similar obstacles but BLEW up in the NFL. I am thinking his little bro will replicate the same results.

I don't know...younger brothers named Casey have a poor track record. Casey Affleck, for instance.

Casey Affleck, who's 5 times the actor that his brother is. (I'd have said 10 times before "The Town")

Can't knock Ben's filmmaking skills, though. Gone Baby Gone is even better than The Town, and Casey playing Patrick Kenzie is a perfect casting.

But this is the Stadium, so I digress.... haha

kinda funny... and I SWEAR totally true...

Beginning of the game Casey came in through the line trying to get a sack... and I thought to myself.. That dude moves and looks like Clay Matthews... (the long hair)

next thing I knew.. they were calling him Matthews... (i didn't even know Clay had a brother)...

now today i realize by this thread he is his brother.

kinda funny... and I SWEAR totally true...

Beginning of the game Casey came in through the line trying to get a sack... and I thought to myself.. That dude moves and looks like Clay Matthews... (the long hair)

next thing I knew.. they were calling him Matthews... (i didn't even know Clay had a brother)...

now today i realize by this thread he is his brother.

And that means you like him too?? lol

Casey Affleck, who's 5 times the actor that his brother is. (I'd have said 10 times before "The Town")

Can't knock Ben's filmmaking skills, though. Gone Baby Gone is even better than The Town, and Casey playing Patrick Kenzie is a perfect casting.

But this is the Stadium, so I digress.... haha

Casey Affleck is a VERY good actor :yes:

Not sure how well suited he is for the 3-4. though...

Woah. Slow down. He's barely worth a 3rd at this point....though he's VERY worth a 4th.

Casey Matthews wouldn't be the BPA till the end of round 3, probably.

And that means you like him too?? lol

don't know... that's the only game i've seen him in ever.

But i do have to say... he moves exactly like Clay. So much so that I had no idea Casey Matthews even existed and saw him make one play and thought to myself that he moved just like Clay.

Side Note: Reason I know so well how Clay moves is I went through all his highlight video's in a comparison to Orakpo trying to figure out why Matthews was so successful and Orakpo just gets "held" all the time.

The conclusion of which was that GB moves Clay all over.. Clay comes up the middle, from the left, from the right.. it actually takes a second or 2 to find Clay each play. I'm sure that confuses the QB who's probably always looking for him. That would be in contrast to Orakpo who is always coming from the same side and getting "legally held" the same way.

Is he Undersized for the 3-4?

6'1 238

Not really for an ILB, on the small end now but definitely in the area.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not really a "sleeper" as he's a big time contributor for a big name team. Sleepers are contributors on no name teams or FCS and lower where one might question the level of competition, backups on big name teams, guys with major questions about their character (enough to downgrade them hard) or a major injury history.

Archived