Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What great coaching is...

derskinsfan

Watching the playoffs this weekend, I was reminded that great coaching is getting players at all levels of talent to play above their talent as part of a TEAM CONCEPT.

I hope that this is what Shanahan and Allen are trying to do with the roster right now. Strip away any pieces that seem resistant or motivated by anything other than the team and replace them with players who "buy in" to the program. Even if those players are technically less skilled (i.e.: Grossman vs. McNabb) you will probably go just as far, or farther, with them.

With faith in this hope — and, frankly, with not many choices other than faith in this hope — I'm trusting Shanahan and Allen in whatever roster moves they decide to make during the offseason.

Coaching is also about communication.

Football is a game of emotion and coaches that can connect w/ their players can get their player to 'buy in'.

Coaching is also about adaptation.

The ability to adapt schemes and concepts to fit the players you have rather trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

Joe Gibbs was great at both of the above.

The Seahawk OC Bates did a great job especially with formations.

Especially the use of the double stacked WR formations.

That formation dictated the coverage and allowed Lynch to have easy run fronts while creating favorable match-ups against the secondary that could be manipulated via scheme/playcalling i.e. WR screen followed by a fake WR and go which was the big play to Mike Williams.

Watching the playoffs this weekend, I was reminded that great coaching is getting players at all levels of talent to play above their talent as part of a TEAM CONCEPT.

I hope that this is what Shanahan and Allen are trying to do with the roster right now. Strip away any pieces that seem resistant or motivated by anything other than the team and replace them with players who "buy in" to the program. Even if those players are technically less skilled (i.e.: Grossman vs. McNabb) you will probably go just as far, or farther, with them.

With faith in this hope — and, frankly, with not many choices other than faith in this hope — I'm trusting Shanahan and Allen in whatever roster moves they decide to make during the offseason.

EXACTLLLYYY...doesn't matter who is better--it matters who buys in and puts team first--

McNabb probably put team first, but wasn't taking kindly to the information Kyle was trying to pass on-- call it what you want Kyle may be working here because of his dad, but not working, because he is definately qualified for this job, best passing attack for 2 years, especially with as putrid as our passing offense has been since before Gibbs 2.0

While I'm all for Shanny's efforts to weed out the weak, lame and lazy, good coaching is ALSO modifying scheme to talent available. That aspect needs improvement.

In other words.......you have to fight the enemy, not the plan. And you have to do it with what you have, NOT what you want to have.

I was reminded what horrible clock management is via the Indy game and head coach Jim Caldwell. His clock management, in my opinion, cost them the game. It goes to show how important coaching is.

The Colts are also a much more tame version of themselves with every passing season from a personnel perspective. That timeout was dubious but so is the team's level of talent as compared to years past. We always just assume "It's the Colts," but the team isn't incredibly strong.

I was reminded what horrible clock management is via the Indy game and head coach Jim Caldwell. His clock management, in my opinion, cost them the game. It goes to show how important coaching is.
Kicking the ball deep vs a squib/short kick and that TO killed the Colts. If Caldwell doesn't call TO, Folk is kicking a 45 yd FG instead of 32 yds. He is 50/50 at that range. That TO allowed the Jets at least an extra play if not 2.

The Colts are also a much more tame version of themselves with every passing season from a personnel perspective. That timeout was dubious but so is the team's level of talent as compared to years past. We always just assume "It's the Colts," but the team isn't incredibly strong.

It wasn't JUST that timeout. On 3rd and 6, Indy threw the football to attempt to get a first down which could have been a dagger. At that point, the Jets had two timeouts remaining as they used their first on the play prior. The incomplete pass allowed the clock to stop with 1:02 left. It was from the Jets 32 yard line. Well within kicker Adam Vinatieri's range. Running the ball would have forced the Jets to use a timeout there. I understand they went for the dagger, but with that much time remaining it was a poor choice. Now, the Jets have two timeouts left and the Colts have one.

The Jets got the ball back with 45 seconds. The Jets run one play and call timeout with 40 seconds left.

They have one left at this point. By rights, if Indy ran the ball on 3rd and six, they'd have none left. Keep that in mind.

Jets throw a completion to Santonio Holmes and he's pushed out. Clock stops with 36 seconds left. They are on the 34 yard line. At this point it's a 51 yard field goal for Nick Folk. Not a sure thing by any means.

They run Tomlinson up the middle for two yards. This is now a 49 yard field goal attempt for the Jets. The only reason you run the ball there in that situation is if: A) You plan on using your final timeout to stop the clock and you called the run hoping it completely catches the Colts off guard or B) You plan on trying to take the game winning field goal attempt from that spot. Either way, the Colts saved them by taking a timeout here. 29 seconds left.

Pass to Edwards. Time out Jets. By rights, they shouldn't have had a timeout here, either. That's twice that happened.

32 yard field goal is good for the win.

The Colts mucked that whole thing up. The personnel excuse doesn't even apply there. Coaching cost them that game. I do agree their personnel isn't as good as it once was, but they had the game won and poor decisions by the coaching staff hurt them.

Kicking the ball deep vs a squib/short kick and that TO killed the Colts. If Caldwell doesn't call TO, Folk is kicking a 45 yd FG instead of 32 yds. He is 50/50 at that range. That TO allowed the Jets at least an extra play if not 2.

If the Colts would've ran the ball on the 3rd-down play before the Vinatieri field goal and then line-drive the KO, they would have won. The incomplete pass and the 47-yard KO return was huge.

Archived