Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Philly.com: Kolb wants to start or wants out

terrifNick21

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-eagles/Kolb_wants_to_start_or_wants_out.html#ixzz1AbhEiau1

Click on link for entire article

Kevin Kolb isn’t one for ultimatums – he handled his demotion this season with class – but the backup quarterback wants out if the Eagles plan on bringing Michael Vick back as their starting quarterback, a source close to the situation said.

Kolb wants to start and whether that’s for the Eagles or not, he will let coach Andy Reid know that during a scheduled Monday meeting. The 26-year-old has been the Eagles' backup for most of four seasons.

Asked what would be a best-case scenario for next season, Kolb said, “To start.”

“I love it here, as everybody knows,” Kolb said after the Eagles’ 21-16 playoff loss to the Packers. “My family’s settled in here. I would love to be starting here. But I want to be starting somewhere.”

Kolb was then asked if could take another season in Philadelphia as the backup.

“I can’t answer that question,” he said.

Looks like he'll be back there for another season as the backup. Because there's no way in hell the Eagles are getting two first rounders for the guy.

They know that. I don't think there is more than 5-6 guys in the league that are worth that. It's negotiating and I would imagine they'd be happy with a low 1st & a 4th/5th. Question is, do they trade him or Vick?

F'g offseason.

The Eagles didn't play him enough to show other teams what he can do. This isn't a Matt Cassel situation.

MAYBE they could get a 2nd. But that's assuming Vick would be willing to sign his franchise tag deal even though he badly needs a real contract to help him get out from under that mountain of debt. One year at like 12-15mil would be nice, be owes a ton of money and needs a multi year deal.

I don't think trading kolb is smart for the eagles. Vick will be 31, defenses are starting to adjust and he has a high risk of injury with his play style.

Bring back both QB's (franchise Vick) and I predict Kolb will regain the starting position sometime next year. He's ***** and moan till then but he will shutup when he gets a start again.

Let's see...after 4 years in the NFL, he has 11 TDs and 14 INTs, 9 fumbles, and a passer rating of 73.2. And this is while playing on a perennial playoff team.

The guy is not even that good as a backup, I don't know why he thinks he should be starting anywhere.

I agree, I have always thought that Philly hitching their wagon to Vick was not a good idea. They guy is not too big, getting older, and his game relies on putting himself in harms way many times per game. His chances of a long injury free career are not high. It is critical if Philly gives Vick a contract that they have a capable back up that is able to start.

They know that. I don't think there is more than 5-6 guys in the league that are worth that. It's negotiating and I would imagine they'd be happy with a low 1st & a 4th/5th. Question is, do they trade him or Vick?
You can't honestly believe anyone would trade a 1st round pick+ for Kevin Kolb. He's a former 2nd round pick who has more career INT's than TD's.

You can't honestly believe anyone would trade a 1st round pick+ for Kevin Kolb. He's a former 2nd round pick who has more career INT's than TD's.

I don't get the hype on this guy. Statistically he is Kyle Boller. He doesn't have a big arm or great mobility and is a turnover machine. After 4 years in the league he should of shown a lot more. All Isaw from him this year was dump off the ball to Celek and Mccoy and watch them make yards.

There's no more desparate team than one who is need of a franchise QB with an otherwise good team. So, yes, I can see some team giving up a 1st for him, albeit most likely a late 1st. Not saying he's worth that, as I don't think he's shown he is, but he also hasn't exactly had the Hogs blocking up front for him, so maybe that makes a difference for some teams.

There's no more desparate team than one who is need of a franchise QB with an otherwise good team. So, yes, I can see some team giving up a 1st for him, albeit most likely a late 1st. Not saying he's worth that, as I don't think he's shown he is, but he also hasn't exactly had the Hogs blocking up front for him, so maybe that makes a difference for some teams.

You are correct, except for the fact that Kolb is NOT a franchise QB.

You are correct, except for the fact that Kolb is NOT a franchise QB.

Maybe, but people were sure that Cutler was done after last year as well.

---------- Post added January-11th-2011 at 07:18 AM ----------

Plus most teams with late first round picks don't need franchise QB's anyway.

True, although there's similar alternatives. Swapping picks, trading back, trading next year's pick. It's probably a 90% "not going to happen" certainty, especially considering the state that the league is in after the Super Bowl. Unless they were to get a player from another team (rarely happens anymore), they most likely won't trade him unless they can get a very good draft pick (from this year's draft) compensation for him. And, since teams are most likely wary of that, considering the Feeley/McNabb trades, it would be a shock if it did happen.

---------- Post added January-11th-2011 at 07:18 AM ----------

Maybe the REAL question is: What could the Eagles get for Michael Vick?

Archived